Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

i dont know if im in the right section but can anyone help with this please???

Options
  • 27-08-2012 11:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

hi, i bought a car a few weeks ago from a garage in longford, it had no warranty with it, the dealer said that the electrics needed to be fixed and the battery and that was all. so i done this then 8 days later the engine went on it. its going to cost 1500 to get fixed. now i sent a solicitor letter to them to ask of this but they refused. they said i bought the car at trade value? i dont understand. do i have any rights to my car being fixed by them? please can u help me.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Used cars are a mine field - but if you've sent a solicitors letter did he/she not advise you?

My very basic (an probably incorrect) understanding of it is - if it was sold in the course of business then the Sale of Goods Acts and SOGASOSA applies. What would be considered reasonable is obviously subjective to the fact it's second hand.

I assume by saying you bought it at trade price they are trying to say you didn't buy it as a consumer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

I assume by saying you bought it at trade price they are trying to say you didn't buy it as a consumer.

For which they can't do as you probably don't have a VAT number and yer not a business.

Anecdotally, a lot of "garages" say it's a trade sale as they see that as a get out clause when the dud falls apart. Not worth the paper it's not written on.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,998 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

hi, i bought a car a few weeks ago from a garage in longford, it had no warranty with it, the dealer said that the electrics needed to be fixed and the battery and that was all. so i done this then 8 days later the engine went on it. its going to cost 1500 to get fixed. now i sent a solicitor letter to them to ask of this but they refused. they said i bought the car at trade value? i dont understand. do i have any rights to my car being fixed by them? please can u help me.

It depends what's written on the receipt. Trade sales don't work for the general public, the public still retain their consumer rights. The only way they can get out of it is if it's written on the receipt what the faults are at the time of sale.

What's wrong with the engine that it died 8 days after you bought it? Could it have been something you did when repairing the electrics? Also was it something you could have caught in daily checks? No oil or water etc.

Advertisement