Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some pointers on converting a web app to mobile app

Options
  • 27-08-2012 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Just looking for some pointers from people who have probably done this and maybe I might be able to get some clarification on a few things.

About two years ago I developed a web app that was optimised for mobiles, it allowed a person to browse through a database of information based on specific categories being ticked. It had a pretty basic PHP/mySQL backend with user accounts to allow the users to save favourites from the database.

The frontend was managed by jqTouch which I was interested in at the time and just wanted to play around with.

I'm actually interested in going back to this web app and moving it into the mobile domain, I think I could tweak how it works, update the backend code and look at possibly pushing it out to the iPhone and Android platforms.

Right now, seeing as it just handles data and doesn't do anything graphical or too crazy I'm thinking of using Phonegap. The user interface is just jqTouch and I guess I'll just have to create JSON code to talk to the mySQL/PHP backend (right??).

So, I guess my question is how do I treat offline content or do I? The content the users will be pulling back is just text, maybe a couple of paragraphs and some images. Is there a way to store this content 'offline', maybe via saved favourites or something similar? I'm thinking of using a Web SQL local database for local storage.

Thoughts/experience/ideas?

Thanks!

Advertisement