Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading a PC - advice

Options
  • 27-08-2012 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭

I have a computer that's a little over 6 years. It's served me well but over the past year or so, it's chugging along pretty slowly. I know very little about computer hardware and was wondering would there be any point in upgrading, would a computer that old be able to deal with newer memory/harddrives/windows 7 etc. The specs are:

Dimension 5150 Pentium 4 Processor 640 with HT technology (3.20GHz, 800MHz fsb, 2MB cache)
    2048MB Dual Channel DDR2 400MHz Memory (4x512)
    13-1 media card reader
    320GB (2x160GB) 7200rpm SATA Hard Drive - Dual HDD Config - No Raid
    Sonic Software for DVD/RW+R (No Media)
    16x max. DVD+/-RW Drive
    128MB ATI Radeon X300 SE HyperMemory graphics card
    IEEE 1394 PCI Adapter card
    Integrated Analogue TV tuner PCI card and Dell MCE remote control
    Truemobile 1450 WLAN USB Adaptor
    English - Win XP Media Centre 2005
    Any advice appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Scrap it.

You can save the card reader.

Maybe you can save the DVD drive and the hard drives if they are SATA.

Those old Pentium 4s are very slow and inefficient. They're not enough for today's demands. Even a €30 or €40 processor will beat it. Better to save for a new system. A budget of €300-400 would have a computer running like a dream in comparison to your old machine and you'd spend too much upgrading it just for little improvements.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Yenwod

Ah cheers Monotype, I figured it probably was a bit outdated alright. Thanks for the quick & concise answer :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Come back to this forum if you're looking for a new build advice. You'll probably get a better deal than with Dell.

Advertisement