Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WordPress Training

Options
  • 27-08-2012 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have been working in IT for 10+ years as a business analyst, project lead/manager and program manager. I moved from the business side (warehousing/logistics/supply chain) into IT working with SAP R/3. Over the last few years I have been managing a team of developers who work on web based home grown applications for a large multinational. This year I also completed my BSc in IT from DCU.

So as you can see from my background I am not a developer however would like to be able to start dabbling in web development on the side and see where that goes. When I often see company websites or local community websites I think could be so much better.

Anyway, just came across this course starting on Sept 19th for Wordpress and wondered if people had experience of it ?

http://ebusinessmatters.com/wordpress-training-courses/

Input welcome or am I better taking a different path? Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭fcrossen

Looks like it is very much aimed at end users. There is a mention of:
    No coding or technical expertise required

If you want to get into Wordpress development then you can't avoid code or some technical knowledge.

See a similar question here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=80473063&postcount=2

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭warrenaldo

It seems to cover a lot. Post v Pages, Widget/Plugins (then a lot of business stuff).

I think if you complete this course you will be very competent in WordPress and be well able to build a site in it from scratch.

That's the beauty of Wordpress, you don't need any coding knowledge to use it. Its aimed at end-users.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

warrenaldo wrote: »
    It seems to cover a lot. Post v Pages, Widget/Plugins (then a lot of business stuff).

I think if you complete this course you will be very competent in WordPress and be well able to build a site in it from scratch.

That's the beauty of Wordpress, you don't need any coding knowledge to use it. Its aimed at end-users.

To do a lot of useful stuff in it, it could be useful to learn PHP and look into the Wordpress documentation (particularly on theme creation / plugins) though. I've coded a bit in it myself for my own blog and I think one of the great things about Wordpress is the sheer extendibility.

I would encourage the OP to get stuck into HTML / JavaScript / CSS and PHP and give it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭smcelhinney

What philologos said. No point jumping into a framework, without learning the basic concepts.

Start with PHP and HTML, and some JavaScript and CSS thrown in for good measure. Some of the concepts in Wordpress can be quite difficult to get your head around if you have little or no previous experience to modular application design, such as hooks and filters.

Also, if you are planning on providing this as a commercial service, your customers will eventually request some sort of functionality that you won't be able to find a ready made plugin for, and you'll need to get your hands dirty.

Good luck, it's an amazing framework to play with..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

Thanks for the replies. Yeah my initial thinking would be around providing a school website, and then possibly a website for a garage. Nothing overly complex as they would have relatively static content with the exception of periodic updates throughout the year.

I am better at learning by doing rather than researching/learning stuff I might not use but all the pointers are great.

I might give the course a whirl and see what happens. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭fcrossen

eddiem74 wrote: »
    ...a school website, and then possibly a website for a garage. Nothing overly complex as they would have relatively static content with the exception of periodic updates throughout the year.
    Wordpress is certainly your man there then.
    For those kind of jobs you can whet your appetite by jumping straight in. You won't necessarily need programming expertise. There are plenty of free/cheap themes available and lots of plugins out there. Decent themes allow for lots of customisation from the WP back-end these days.
    Forget the course - the use scenario you have given is very much an end user role (even though you are adopting the site admin role). Given your background I would think you have the skill-set required.
    Wordpress is so widely deployed that there is plenty of free help available here and in other forums. If you need more help, there are lots of people who will do some theme or plugin development for you at reasonable rates.

Advertisement