Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question on DTI (Dog Training Ireland)

• 27-08-2012 1:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭

I'm just wondering . . . why do they keep training people like crazy (dog trainer, train the trainer or similar things) ?

Just can't get my head around the whole thing . . . training people on how to do their job. sure the marker must be flooded with dog trainers by now . . .

:confused::confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19 MMUldoon5

My brother has 5 unruly but lovable dogs. Any suggestions on how to train him and his mangey mongrels appreciated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

A lot of people do the courses for their own benefit, to help with their own dog's behaviour. And a lot of people who work in rescue also do them, to help with the dogs that come into them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Not sure but maybe some dog trainers are using old out dated methods and need to be re-trained. Some might want to keep up with the latest methods and ideas. Some might do it for more experience and the social side of it.
    Lots of reasons I'd guess. Like with a lot of jobs it's helpful to be brought up to date or have a refresher course now and then.

It does seem that there are a lot of dog trainers nowadays but many are still using inhumane or out dated methods so no harm in some of those kind being replaced with decent trainers. But it can be had enough to find work here now so I'm guessing that many will go abroad for a while to work after they are trained.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 184 ✭✭Jennypops

I don't think they are training people like crazy! Obviously there is a level of demand there and as a previous poster noted rescue staff or indeed people with an interest for their own dogs as well as people wanting to work in the industry.

To be honest I think it's great, the more people out there with training from what I think is one of the best facilities in the country, the better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭falabo

I do think it's great but .... what about potential competitors ??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

Is there a recognised qualification in dog training? HETAC or whatever?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 184 ✭✭Jennypops

Competition will always be there...they've been running courses for a while now and I don't see tonnes of places opening, there areonly two places in Dublin I would go to with my dog, DTI and Positive Dog Training in Sandyford. If people have an interest in working in that industry then in my opinion it's best to get education from such a highly respected place.
    I'm sure the owners of DTI know what they are doing in their business plan.

I'd actually imagine that the numbers of dog trainers who use the whole positive reinforcement method arent actually that numerous.
    Plus it's not like they are doing these courses every week, it's one of a number of courses they offer and I think it most likely is split between people with an interest for their own dogs, rescue workers and people who want a career in training.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

falabo wrote: »
    I do think it's great but .... what about potential competitors ??

It's like 4 days or 8 evenings so you're not really a qualified 'trainer' after doing it IMO - people I know who've done it have said that too. From experience of meeting people who done it you have 4 groups - people doing it to get a better understanding for working with their own dogs or maybe at some stage they might like to work with dogs (this would be my reason if i was going to do something like this tbh - I'm always wondering what goes on inside my dogs head when he does something crazy ;p), people who will make excellent trainers/behaviourists and starting the first step of their journey, people who are setting up some dog business to make a few quid, complete tools who think they already know everything and doing a course just proves they do. I've met a good few from the last group when we've been at things as a participient and they're there as spectators - they have a level of book smarts but no cop on. EG somebody tried to make a laugh of me for having a ramp for the jeep the last time I was at one of these events (ffs!?), somebody else kept trying pet/talk to my dog when he was stressed out and wanted to be left alone!

Advertisement