Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why do you ride a motorbike?

• 27-08-2012 1:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭

I'm a beginner to bikes, I don't actually own one. I started doing lessons at the start of the year, then I did my driving test on the instructors bike after several months (which I passed). My story is that I just had it in my head that I really wanted to learn how to drive a motorbike, I don't know why, I just wanted to know how to do it for ages, so finally went through the necessary steps. For the first few lessons, I really enjoyed it, the more I got used to the bike though, the less I was enjoying it, maybe it's because it wasn't as new to me any more. Now that I have the test done, I don't really have much interest in getting my own bike, at least not in the foreseeable future. My instructor loved bikes. He has a BMW RT1200, goes touring around Europe.

I'm just wondering, driving a big bike like that, seems to me like it costs almost as much as a small car to run, and you do sacrifice a lot of comfort, plus in general riding a bike comes with more risks, so I'm just wondering to all you bike fans out there, what's your reason for riding motorcycles?

P.S. I'm not putting down bikes in any way, I know they do have advantages over cars (as well as disadvantages). Just curious to see what peoples responses are to why they ride.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Less tax to pay.
    No need to be looking for a parking space and have to pay a meter every 2-3 hours.

Im sure that would be 2 main reasons for alot of people here,that commute to and from work on a bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 252 ✭✭sf80

- Cheaper tax, fuel, maintenance
    - Pick up bikes cheap
    - Commuting is much faster
    - Sense of freedom; a car feels claustrophobic
    - More interesting variety than cars
    - Performance/responsiveness
    - Community
    - Fun!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Zip through city traffic
    Can park in work but I couldn't park a car, those spaces belong to the top brass
    Free parking in town
    Waving at other bikers on spins :)
    Cheap tax and low fuel usage
    Girls thrown themselves at me
    Can go for a spin in a group or on your own, both are great

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭bradknowell

Main reason is because bikes are just forking cool and cars are fair boring to be.
    Obviously Im a shít cool person so I may aswell get wheels to match me.
    Bugger all tax, and no traffic etc etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

The freedom you get from riding the bike
    Quicker commute to work
    Not sitting in traffic
    Can park in work, would not be able to with the car
    Great for going on spins with the lads
    Cheap Tax
    And the thrill you get when you open up the throttle:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

I love it. That is all.

The other reasons above are not enough. If you don't really enjoy it it's probably not for you. There are lots of disadvantages as you pointed out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Cheaper, faster, better.

I just love bikes. Everything about them.

I also ride a motorbike because I have neither the money nor the inclination to put a car on the road and I have no access to public transport where I am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

Why? Cos I can! Cos I love them!

Yes there are all the reasons stated above, cheaper to run, cheaper to tax, easier to fix. Then the "not getting stuck in traffic" bit is a main reason for a lot of people. But for me, it's simply because I love the mobility, the noise, the smells, the sensations, the thrills. Yeah it's not very nice if it's pissing rain, but if you have the right gear on it doesn't matter.

I have a car (only cos I have kids) but it sits in the driveway 99% of the time because I'd rather take the bike any day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Well I have a tiny cock, so naturally I needed a replacement so I went for the largest bike I could find :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

I got one because I'm 23 and realised it's time I learned to drive....

Then I decided, fcuk that, I'm far too cool for a car, and since my mam forbids my dad to own another motorbike I bought myself one (a 125 varadero for now).

So basically in a year I'm gonna convince my dad that he wants to go halves with me on a bigger bike :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

I got one because I'm 23 and realised it's time I learned to drive....:D

Dont you mean you learned to "ride" your bike???;)

Or do you drive your bike and ride your car??:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Freedom from having to drive my slow van for work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

paddy147 wrote: »
    Dont you mean you learned to "ride" your bike???;)

Or do you drive your bike and ride your car??:pac:

True enough, but I could always technically "ride" a bike, as in get it moving. Now I'm learning to use roads and stuff haha. So whenever I do learn to drive a cage I'll be safer than most :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,364 ✭✭✭bladespin

It's the most enjoyable thing I can do with my clothes on (though haven't tried it completely without), all the above are good reasons I use to justify the bike but in reality it's just so much FUN!

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Pipz

My dad used to race & build bikes, so I've been brought up on them. I first learned to ride a motorbike when I was 4, and I've had one ever since. Had a PW50, then a PW80, then went on the DT, and now have my R125, along with going on trips on R1's, Gixxers, Bandits etc my whole life.

There simply is no feeling like it. It's in my blood, and if my bikes were taken away from me, I'd actually feel incomplete.

The whole 'less fuel, quicker' etc stuff is all just a bonus for me, but if they were the only reason's I wanted one, I wouldnt bother.

I started biking because I couldn't afford a car at the time. Got hooked on it and now I literally cannot imagine not having a bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

I started biking because I couldn't afford a car at the time. Got hooked on it and now I literally cannot imagine not having a bike.

Pretty much this, exactly. Have often thought of learning to drive a car, but I'm getting by without one this long so what's the point? Maybe if/when I have a family I'll get a car, but for now it just seems like two wheels too many for me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

For the adrenaline rush.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 44 Bingo481

So my other half cant fookin come with me. Simples!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Bingo481 wrote: »
    So my other half cant fookin come with me. Simples!

Mum or girlfriend? :P

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 44 Bingo481

Lol....my significant other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Everyday I'm thankful for my bike riding OH :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,307 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Everyone in my family has at least 2 bikes, so it was the logical step!
    Speed is the best reason for me imho. Not top speed, but just that acceleration.

Everyday I'm thankful for my bike riding OH :P

She's a kepper!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

Faith+1 wrote: »
    She's a kepper!

HE! Pixiebean is a "she" mate. LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Hornswoggle

Like Pipz I've been biking from a young age, had a Honda 50, Kawasaki AR80, Yamaha YZ125, Honda CR250, Aprilia RS125 and CBR600RR race bikes etc. but only got my first road bike recently. Had intended to use the bike occasionally but I haven't set foot in the car once since I bought it, mainly because of the following reasons:

-There's nothing like the feeling, puts you in great form in the mornings on the way into and home from work
    -Commuting time is significantly decreased for me
    -My petrol costs have been halved since I picked up the bike
    -I have a better parking space than my MD in work

It's going to be hard to get back into the car come November/December!

HE! Pixiebean is a "she" mate. LOL

My Bad!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,403 ✭✭✭positron

Compared to taking the train, biking saves me 60-90 minutes on commute five days a week. It's way more expensive than taking the train (30 per week on fuel + maintenance + insurance + tax + gear compared to the taxsaver commuter ticket), but it's so much more fun than taking the train. And the freedom to come and go as it suits without having to adjust your life to some senseless train schedule, and not having to put up with being pushed around, crushed against, leaned on and sneezed at etc with very little ventilation... And that sweet sweet surge of acceleration when you open up the throttle... What is there to not like about biking? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,307 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I think I'd rather lose a ball than go back to public transport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭batman_oh

For fun now - no other reason. Dont commute or anything.
    Cars are unbelievably dull in comparison although have their uses

Advertisement