Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why do you ride a motorbike?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭skapegoat

I think the poblem here is why you feel bored.
    I think the learner legal bikes that you practiced on are why, it's easy to "ride" a bike and pass a test.

It's hard to Master a bike!
    You need more performance, what bike do you want now?

I would reccomend a restricted Suzuki sv650, then you can de restrict it after two years.
    They are a lovely bike with lots of low down grunt and good enough handling.
    Master one of them then try a sports 600!

I love all things bikes (not a fan of choppers though) restoring, fixing, maintenance, touring, racing, being at legal and illegal speeds.

If I won the lotto I would just bike all day everyday.... That's the dream.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

skapegoat wrote: »
    If I won the lotto I would just bike all day everyday.... That's the dream.

Second that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

originally bought my first bike for college commute few years ago, got off them when started working, but back on now 3 years, have a car aswell for normal day to day stuff in the evenings / weekends.

but love the freedom the bike gives, cannot be beaten..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Faith+1 wrote: »
    She's a kepper!

He sure is :P Glad I don't have to worry about my other half nagging me when I disappear on the bike for a few hours after saying I'm going to the shop to get milk, couldn't deal with that! That's the difference between someone who understands biking and someone who doesn't, couldn't be with someone who doesn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭blu3r0ri0n

Glad I don't have to worry about my other half nagging me when I disappear on the bike for a few hours after saying I'm going to the shop to get milk

Oooo how I LOLed when I read that, my otherhalf isnt a biker but she is the understanding type and doesnt wait until the milk is completely gone before asking me to go to the shop thankfully!

I don't like car's...at all and love bikes, I have to stick my head out the window when in the car to feel normal! Thats why I ride!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

After driving a bike for nearly two years, I find driving a car pretty scary. I'm not used to it at all. It makes me nervous.

On my bike I see and notice everything. I feel in full control. But in my car I feel like I'm on a conveyor belt with limit vision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭blu3r0ri0n

But in my car I feel like I'm on a conveyor belt with limit vision.

I would have thought that you would be more observant and aware of your environment in the car or have I misunderstood you?

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭thomashood10

The joy of riding mainly, if it's just a machine to you then you need to look for some inspiration.

Modern bikes are engineering marvels though, if you have an appreciation for the mechanics of stuff then bikes will usually grab you.

With a car it's usually mostly designed around comfort and well.. being a car. With a bike though it's crafted in such a manner that it's meant to meld with the human form in a certain way. The idea that you are literally sitting on the engine, that power is something crazy too. With a car it's in the hood or tucked away at the back maybe, but with a bike it's almost directly connected to you and your wrist.

And it's all yours :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34 YCHGTBOY

gerbear1 wrote: »
    I'm a beginner to bikes, I don't actually own one. I started doing lessons at the start of the year, then I did my driving test on the instructors bike after several months (which I passed). My story is that I just had it in my head that I really wanted to learn how to drive a motorbike, I don't know why, I just wanted to know how to do it for ages, so finally went through the necessary steps. For the first few lessons, I really enjoyed it, the more I got used to the bike though, the less I was enjoying it, maybe it's because it wasn't as new to me any more. Now that I have the test done, I don't really have much interest in getting my own bike, at least not in the foreseeable future. My instructor loved bikes. He has a BMW RT1200, goes touring around Europe.

I'm just wondering, driving a big bike like that, seems to me like it costs almost as much as a small car to run, and you do sacrifice a lot of comfort, plus in general riding a bike comes with more risks, so I'm just wondering to all you bike fans out there, what's your reason for riding motorcycles?

P.S. I'm not putting down bikes in any way, I know they do have advantages over cars (as well as disadvantages). Just curious to see what peoples responses are to why they ride.

If you have to ask the reason why...... then you should already know bikes are not yer cuppa....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Tomohawk

I ride a scooter for the sheer pleasure ofthem...

I now even ride a bike for work all day too...:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

I just found another good reason. Bikers are fcuking sound. Bike just wouldn't start there a minute ago after filling her up. Was turning over but not firing. There was another biker at the petrol station just about to leave when he saw my trouble and me looking like a learner. He gave it a shot too, but nothing was working. Eventually it just started, still have no idea what happened will look at it in a minute, but it was nice of him to try to help.

Maybe 1 in 20 cagers will stop for a broken down car because they assume someone else will. But this guy just took time out to try to help. Kudos to him! :)

Advertisement