Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Importing a car to Western Australia

Options
  • 27-08-2012 1:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Anybody imported their car to Oz?

I realise that I may be better off selling the car in Ireland before the move but I want to go through the figures before I sell. I've looked at shipping costs, steam cleaning and draining air con.

Is there anywhere I can get an estimate for the importation taxes or a company that will help me with the process?

P.S. The car is currently not in my name.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Gregsor

Very expensive and possibly the worse thing you could bring over regarding quarantine time etc but if it's your pride and joy and cannot be replaced easily do it,i did.
    It will need to be in your name for at least 12 months and have documents like insurance to prove then you can bring it in as a personal import.
    Cost me @E2500 Irish side then @$10,000 to get driving here after compliance and taxes.
    Cars over here are Way over priced and if you have something rare enough and special it might just be worth it in the long run.
    I got mine in a 20ft container with 15 large boxes behind full of belongings and the car was full too,mostly aftermarket and performance parts ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Gregsor wrote: »
    Very expensive and possibly the worse thing you could bring over regarding quarantine time etc but if it's your pride and joy and cannot be replaced easily do it,i did.
    It will need to be in your name for at least 12 months and have documents like insurance to prove then you can bring it in as a personal import.
    Cost me @E2500 Irish side then @$10,000 to get driving here after compliance and taxes.
    Cars over here are Way over priced and if you have something rare enough and special it might just be worth it in the long run.
    I got mine in a 20ft container with 15 large boxes behind full of belongings and the car was full too,mostly aftermarket and performance parts ;).
    Thats interesting. Would love to bring an XR6 turbo back to Ireland(opposite). It could be an M3 killer for 3 times cheaper and a sleeper. What kind of car did you bring in do you mind me asking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

A turbo XR6 would bankrupt you as soon as the gas in it from OZ ran out.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Gregsor

Plug wrote: »
    Thats interesting. Would love to bring an XR6 turbo back to Ireland(opposite). It could be an M3 killer for 3 times cheaper and a sleeper. What kind of car did you bring in do you mind me asking?

It was 2001 Jap Dc5 Integra TypeR,took me 6 months to sell then when i decided to head back,not as rare or Unique as one had hoped :eek:

Would be interested in seeing another person version of shipping a car home to Ireland and the costs compared.

I have seen a Ausdm Ford V6 ute around Newbridge Kildare and a Holden V8 ute on Donedeal over a year ago going for the high E30k's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

Gregsor wrote: »
    Would be interested in seeing another person version of shipping a car home to Ireland and the costs compared.QUOTE]

When we moved back in 2008ish i brought back my early 1950 Land Rover, i got wind of a company that brings in Peat Moss for the Horticulture indusrty in Australia that had empty shipping containers heading back to the port of Cork, for $3200 we had a full shipping container delivered outside our house in Oz for a week, picked up shipped over to Cork and 24 hours to empty in before being picked up up, we had to do a fair bit of paper work but was easier enough.

Regarding bringing back a Australian Holden or Ford, if its not pre 1982 make sure its not a 5L V8, the tax insurance would kill you and resale is not brilliant as its a small market.

• Advertisement
Advertisement