Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should people be prohibited from owning exotic and potentially dangerous 'pets'?

• 27-08-2012 1:39pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭

What i would like to know from the AH crowd in boards.ie,is it acceptable to own exotic pets,that belong to other countries,and would fare better in other countries due to climate etc..

Do you not also think it is dangerous to own such pets,in the light of the lion loose in essex,UK,and the lions and tiger loose in the USA recently,due to an animal hoarder of exotic pets,which ran loose all over the state,which had to be shot.

Imagine if a dangerous python got loose or a poisionous snake slithered up a house pipe in ireland,would you view this as grounds to prohibit casual ownership of such potentially dangerous exotic 'pets'..?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I own a Siberian Hamster.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭saiint

damn i was thinking something else until i saw "pets"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    I own a Siberian Hamster.

...the one with the horns?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

personally i would air on the side of caution and say for health and saftey reasons a big fat NO to allowing civilians to casually owning exotic pets,for obvious reasons if the 'pet' got loose and decided to go on the rampage,lets just say a snake bit a human in ireland,where would the antidote be available in ireland?Its just far too dangerous for many,many different reasons as there are many different dangeous exotic 'pets'..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Do you not already need to be granted special dispensations to own such animals? I'm pretty sure that Joe Soap can't just decide to buy a lion and legally keep it in the back yard.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

And what will we do after that, prohibit exotic fruits? Pineapples are rather prickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Exotic as in not native to Ireland or exotic as in things that are really difficult (and downright impossible) to domesticate like a monkey or something?

Non native animals: sure, if they can be (and have been proven) dosmesticated.

Non domesitcated animals : no.

Do you not already need to be granted special dispensations to own such animals? I'm pretty sure that Joe Soap can't just decide to buy a lion and legally keep it in the back yard.

If joe soap was rich enough im sure he could and thats the problem.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

If joe soap was rich enough im sure he could and thats the problem.

TBH, the problem seems to be how you think the worst of the "have / have nots" in most if not all of your posts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

Yes they should, for what I ask myself, twats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I don't think we should really be keeping any kind of exotic pets, it's not right to trap an animal in a small box just so you can look at them. Maybe with a lot of smaller animals that wouldn't have that big of territories it's not to bad but for the most part I'm against exotics as pets.

I do have two water turtles (native to America) but I didn't go out and buy them, I took them in.

Just get friendly with the local wildlife.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

I was over in England there at the weekend and lost my pet lion. The not so little buggers keep straying so I'd say no OP, buy a goldfish instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Imagine if a dangerous python got loose or a poisionous snake slithered up a house pipe in ireland,would you view this as grounds to prohibit casual ownership of such potentially dangerous exotic 'pets'..?

Sure isn't the Dáil full of dangerous snakes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

personally i would air on the side of caution and say for health and saftey reasons a big fat NO to allowing civilians ........

Of course. The Army should be allowed retain their Flesh Eating Flying monkeys.

TBH, the problem seems to be how you think the worst of the "have / have nots" in most if not all of your posts.

no i didnt say that you are reading into what is NOT there..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

I am a bit torn here, I am thinking maybe if the specie is endangered and you can prove you are a responsible owner. Say Parrots who are very endangered.

But maybe that would create a market for the endangered wild ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

I would love a chimpanzee. Then I would solve crimes with my ape-bro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Some people should be prohibited from owning any kind of pets, not only the exotic ones ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 216 ✭✭REPTILEDAN88

Theres only a few laws and regulations here as to keeping animals in general like herd numbers, dog licence, a10s & cites and horse passports etc none about keeping most animals and I need a licence to have a dog by law but can import a lion cub or similar big cat etc and once you have cites certs if needed theres not much people can do about it sadly they are very easy to get and I have even been offered them for £400 so they are not exactly expensive either. There are exotic cats, wolves, reptiles including venomous ones and primates over here in private keepers hands and if you have the money. I would like to see a dwa style system licence brought in but have one price for all counties etc not like the uk where it varies greatly from county to county.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

My Thai slave is only dangerous if I forgot to feed him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 216 ✭✭REPTILEDAN88

personally i would air on the side of caution and say for health and saftey reasons a big fat NO to allowing civilians to casually owning exotic pets,for obvious reasons if the 'pet' got loose and decided to go on the rampage,lets just say a snake bit a human in ireland,where would the antidote be available in ireland?Its just far too dangerous for many,many different reasons as there are many different dangeous exotic 'pets'..

Nearest place for anti-venin is Liverpool in the case ofvenomous snake bites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I've a Syrian Hamster and 2 Degu whose species are from Chile. :pac:

It's bad for them to be in captivity but I'd love a Slow Loris:

But, ultimately, I'd love a pet monkey...............dress him up in a tiny butler suit and shìt............get him to attack any unwanted guests at the door:

*ding dong*

Me: "Look JoJo, it's the Jehovah Witnesses again! Go get 'em, JoJo!!"
    JoJo: "Oooooh waaaaa!!! WAAAAAA! WAAAAA!!!!
    Jehovah Witness: "Oh fùck, this is the house with the goddamn monkey.............leg it!!!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mr Whirly

Licensing has to happen sooner or later. There are now hundreds of caiman in this country down to a couple of arseholes profiting from their sales.

A system where exotics are classified by their potential risk to humans or to become invasive is the way forward. A lot of snakes do very well in captivity as do many other exotics.

CITES protects endangered species and it's unlikely many are making their way into the Irish market. Either way banning them will not stop illegal traders.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

All dogs are potentially dangerous, should they be outlawed? Especially my staffie who is a pure killing machine judging by the way people react while i am out walking her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

As a fish-keeper I wouldn't be against "exotic" pets but animals which can't be domesticated should not be permitted outside of properly licensed zoos in my opinion and there should be laws in place regarding proper care for animals. One I'd love to see us follow is a ban on the sale of "goldfish bowls". A goldfish requires a 300 litre tank. More than one, even larger. Anything smaller than about 40 litres is only suitable for shrimp or sea monkeys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I really want an ocelot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

i would be against holding any animal against its will but at the same time wouldnt a wolf have been considered a deadly "exotic" animal when our ancestors decided to domesticate it, that turned out pretty class tbh

Mr Whirly wrote: »
    A system where exotics are classified by their potential risk to humans or to become invasive is the way forward. A lot of snakes do very well in captivity as do many other exotics.
    WE could maybe even throw in something for the animals welfare. Maybe how torturous their life will be and all that.

personally i think its sad to see an animal who is used to large terrian and hot weather couped up in a small cage or box sh!tting itself and smelling its own sh!t,that cannot be pleasant to say the least..

although i wouldnt be as alarmed as lets say someone owning a python,the danger to the public would be a nightmare..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Sure isn't the Dáil full of dangerous snakes.

You are the Ben Elton of our generation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

Shouldn't everyone be allowed to have everything they want all the time? Is that the new thing now? Allow everything?

Sure!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Ahhhhh how cute is he/she. I squeeeed a little.
    But, ultimately, I'd love a pet male baboon...............dress him up in a tiny butler suit and shìt............get him to attack any unwanted guests at the door:

*ding dong*

Me: "Look JoJo, it's those fcukers Airtricity again! Go get 'em, JoJo!!"
    JoJo: "Oooooh waaaaa!!! WAAAAAA! WAAAAA!!!!
    Jehovah Witness: "Oh fùck, this is the house with the goddamn baboon.............leg it!!!"
    FYP

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Reindeer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Exotic animals have no place here. They should be left where they are because it is crazy high maintaince to keep them and they are demanding and expensive to care for, so a lot of the time the animals either get mistreated, neglected or thrown into the ill fitting wild to fend for themselves.

I think a prime example of this is the Burmese python outbreak in the Everglades and the snakehead fish crisis the US also. These were pets and the latter was more a food source but they were released and/or escaped causing massive damage to the environment. So now they are being slaughtered to contain their numbers eventhough it's not their fault but the people's.

Ultimately though, I think it's just cruel to cage them up when they are so far flung from their natural environment and end up miserable and a lot of the times not properly cared for. If the animals were more suited to this climate where you could build them a big outdoor enclosure so they could be happier, then I think that would be perfectly fine.

/rant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Ah come on, this is AH, less of the sensible answers, you should be like everyone else and just post some crap ya think is funny to get it 'thanked'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Reindeer wrote: »

i seen that on channel 4's True Stories there about a week ago, America's Animal Hoarder: Horror at the Zoo it's called

57 animals i think he had, tigers, lions, bears, jaguars, etc.

it interviews the cops, 911 people & that

the guy went up to the cages unlocked them, cut holes in the mesh then shot himself.

scudzilla wrote: »
    Ah come on, this is AH, less of the sensible answers, you should be like everyone else and just post some crap ya think is funny to get it 'thanked'

Is keeping a Culchie trapped in your garden shed and throwing him scraps every 3 days, considered an exotic pet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

RVP 11 wrote: »
    Is keeping a Culchie trapped in your garden shed and throwing him scraps every 3 days, considered an exotic pet?
    I believe the word you're looking for is "fetish". :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mr Whirly

ScumLord wrote: »
    WE could maybe even throw in something for the animals welfare. Maybe how torturous their life will be and all that.

In what way would their lives be tortuous?

I have kept many exotics and I don't see how any of their lives have been tortuous. Have you had a bad experience?

I see no difference between keeping a hamster or a snake. All pets can have irresponsible owners. Because exotics are harder and expensive to keep I would imagine most of their owners to be fairly well up on their care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

So this theoretical exotic animal which might kill someone might get banned. But cars are fine.

Stop the world, I want to get off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭EZ24GET

RVP 11 wrote: »
    Nah, but could be considered potentially dangerous. :eek::p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Duggy747 wrote: »
    I've a Syrian Hamster and 2 Degu whose species are from Chile. :pac:

as cute as they are, they're poisonous and have to have their teeth pulled out,usually without anaesthetic before they're put in captivity, they excrete a foul smelling toxin from their elbows (yeah I know) and lick it and bite you, it can cause anaphylactic shock in humans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

I was told yesterday by a relation(when talking about the Essex lion) that when he was a lad there were people in Cabra who kept monkeys in a cage out the back. Two doors from them the people kept big feck off snakes ie cobras etc. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Oh Hell Oui!

Certain people should be prohibited from owning exotic or potentially dangerous pets, ie people who dont know how or cant cater for the needs of the animal , Then again I know plenty of people who are like this with their children

Mr Whirly wrote: »
    In what way would their lives be tortuous?
    They're imprisoned, usually in small boxes or cages, just because you can meet they're dietary requirements doesn't mean your doing them a favour by keeping them in captivity.

I see no difference between keeping a hamster or a snake.
    There is no difference, both are exotic animals. The other problem with our captive friends is most are coming from a ridiculously small genetic pools. Did you know all laboratory and pet hamsters come from one breeding pair that lived in 1930?

There's a big difference between our standard pets IE: Cats and dogs, and the rest of our pets. Cats and dogs entered a relationship with people willingly, it was mutually beneficial and both species knew that. We didn't capture and tame either of those two animals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

Didn't the drug dealer Dee Dee O 'Driscoll from Ballyfermot have like a pet jaguar or a panther in his house. ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Melion wrote: »
    All dogs are potentially dangerous, should they be outlawed? Especially my staffie who is a pure killing machine judging by the way people react while i am out walking her.

Thats the thing about dogs. They may not be dangerous but a person acting nervous around them has been the cause of at least some of the attacks ill bet. Not thats its the nervous persons fault in anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

I don't really agree with keeping exotic animals cooped up in cages, out of their natural habitat. Seeing a huge snake lying in a glass box with nowhere to go seems really sad to me. A lot of the time too, I feel like people who own snakes and other such creatures, only own them for the sake of it. It's not because they really want a pet for companionship (which seems to be why a lot of people get cats or dogs), but more because owning a potentially dangerous, unusual animal is "cool". Not saying everyone owns them for this reason, but I'd say there are a lot of people who do. I'm sure there's plenty of money to be made in the buying and selling of exotic animals too.

Sure, maybe it's good for endangered species to be in captivity, but in a lot of ways that's interfering with nature too. Species go extinct all the time, maybe it's just the way it's supposed to be.

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Thats the thing about dogs. They may not be dangerous but a person acting nervous around them has been the cause of at least some of the attacks ill bet. Not thats its the nervous persons fault in anyway.
    Dogs are very good at reading peoples emotional state, as good as people in many cases.

I don't think a dog is going to see a nervous person as something they should attack, in many cases they just want to try and show the person they've nothing to be scared of, unfortunately they might do this by jumping up on them wagging their tail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

ScumLord wrote: »
    Dogs are very good at reading peoples emotional state, as good as people in many cases.

I don't think a dog is going to see a nervous person as something they should attack, in many cases they just want to try and show the person they've nothing to be scared of, unfortunately they might do this by jumping up on them wagging their tail.

I dont know much about dogs Im afraid thanks for clearing that up! I just noticed attacks where kids out of fright hit the dog on the nose or something and then the dog bit the kid!

• Advertisement
Advertisement