Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fecking ESB!

Options
  • 27-08-2012 2:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

Did anyone just lose power for about 1 second? These days a second is all it takes to shut a PC down :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Yup, but we're Cherrymount heads so...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭kensutz

Yep, Cherrymount

• Registered Users Posts: 12,112 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Went off for about 2 seconds. I'm in Collins ave.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭south

twice in Johns hill

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭xFROSTY Gx

Twice in Earlscourt aswel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭kensutz

and again :mad:

feck sake thats twice!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

just lost it for a couple of seconds in the city too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

twice in Grange. I guess anyone who doesn't have spike protection or a UPS might consider keeping the PC off for a bit just in case.

I think we've established its all over the town anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

Just when I was getting my Waterford Search Engine and the new Waterford website ready for launch. :) Two outages - it is irritating having to reboot about 10 boxes. Maybe I should use Dreamweaver instead of writing the code by hand.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

Happened twice in Viewmount. My husband was in the shower and the water stopped so we thought the shower must be faulty and was tripping things.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

No power loss out on the industrial estate anyways.
    7a419_haha-nelson.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭ComfyKnickers

jmcc wrote: »
    Just when I was getting my Waterford Search Engine and the new Waterford website ready for launch. :) Two outages - it is irritating having to reboot about 10 boxes. Maybe I should use Dreamweaver instead of writing the code by hand.

Regards...jmcc

What?

What?
    Language of wizards etc. :) I've been building a search engine of Waterford websites (approximately 1810 of them so far). I was typing text for the website to go with that search engine and when the power-outs hit, I lost some of the text that I had entered.

Regards...jmcc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

:mad: for the first

:mad: :mad: for the second

Painted a wall, hopefully they've sorted that out.

Created chaos here.

It shut a PS3 off mid-update and someone has forgotten every password. Glad I bought my own ages ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,938 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Went off a few times in grantstown. Thankfully no corruption on computers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

Feckin' Chinese Lanterns at it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭TheGormog

Too many TV cameras plugged in out in Ballybeg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

JEEZ. Lighten up. How often does it go off???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

I'm just glad the ESB works on the Carrickphierish Rd. look to be finally over, they were re-tarmacing the road this evening. I don't know what they were doing, but it took forever, some pain in the hole to hit 2 sets of slow lights where there were none before, especially as I might pass through there 3 times a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Jason Todd wrote: »
    I'm just glad the ESB works on the Carrickphierish Rd. look to be finally over, they were re-tarmacing the road this evening. I don't know what they were doing, but it took forever, some pain in the hole to hit 2 sets of slow lights where there were none before, especially as I might pass through there 3 times a day.

This drove me nuts. And you were almost guaranteed to get stuck at them both with whatever arse about ways the timers were

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

This used to happen once or twice every single week where I lived for over a year back in 2011. I complained to them and it was fixed fairly quickly. You should give them a call (dont email, it will take forever for them to get back to you).

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭ComfyKnickers

7upfree wrote: »
    JEEZ. Lighten up. How often does it go off???

Geddit?? :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

The 1 or 2 sec is the time the SCADA takes to cut in. A couple of years ago the outage would have been at least 2 hours. Quit moaning and be thankful supply was restored so quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Great! but that's a bit like saying "the airbag saved your face" when I'd be more concerned at why the crash happened.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Appears it messed up one of my clients devices anyway! Its a gonner! :)

Sully wrote: »
    Appears it messed up one of my clients devices anyway! Its a gonner! :)
    Did you try replacing the PSU? Sometimes cheap power supplies get taken out by this kind of thing. Though harddrives can also be affected.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

jmcc wrote: »
    Did you try replacing the PSU? Sometimes cheap power supplies get taken out by this kind of thing. Though harddrives can also be affected.

Regards...jmcc

Its a NAS Box but I think we will go down the cloud route rather than replacing it. The NAS boxes are around 80euro or so on Komplett. Will test the HDDs tomorrow and see how they fair, but a look at Komplett and there not as cheap as they once were anyway.

Advertisement