Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Study shows Mitt Romney's most effective ad gets him +6% from Independent voters

• 27-08-2012 2:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 517 ✭✭✭

"America Deserves Better", a Romney campaign ad which attacks the president for the Obama super PAC ad that suggests Romney was responsible for a woman's death from cancer after her husband lost his job and benefits when Bain Capital closed down a steel plant — swung support among independents six points in Romney’s direction, a Vanderbilt/YouGov Ad Rating Project survey shows.

“This development is interesting because conventional wisdom is that Obama cannot be attacked on the personal front because the public likes him. That may still be true, but these data are the first to cast doubt on that assumption,” said John Geer, who leads the Ad Rating Project.

This is the ad:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

That's interesting

I do not think that Obama is viewed with the same 'affection' in the US as he is here, so the results are not that suprising.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 517 ✭✭✭Atlantis50

That's interesting

I do not think that Obama is viewed with the same 'affection' in the US as he is here, so the results are not that suprising.

True. Not even his campaign labelling Ireland a 'Tax Haven' or his proposals to reform corporation tax which would seriously damage Ireland's economy have put people off.

"IRELAND HAS been described as a tax haven in a graphic posted on the website of US president Barack Obama.
    [...]
    The Obama administration is considering measures aimed at imposing a minimum level of tax on the profits of US multinationals that are located outside the US. Such a move could act as a disincentive to foreign direct investment into Ireland."

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/0705/1224319428255.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,188 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Logical fallacy "..will say or do anything..." Actually he only apparently did one specific thing, and this newest ad uses it as a wedge to assume that Obama will do "anything" to stay in office. Would he actually murder a kitten, and then broadcast it on Al Jazeera?

Be warned, this will be my new thing this time around. Taking social ethics atm, so I'm on the hunt for fallacies like Ad Hominems (that old gem) and people promising things they, technically, don't have the facilities to promise like reforming health care or reversing health care reform - both actions require house and senate support and can't be done by one man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Amazing how little attention this thread is getting.

Is it because it point to something that is going against Obama.

I'd imagine if there was a thread about Obama getting a bounce from an ad campaign people here would be falling over themselves to congratulate him and his team, and proclaim him the winner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭Amerika

Interesting how the two opposing parties go about ads regarding the changing your vote theme.

From the Romney side:

Has President Obama Earned Your Vote?

From the Obama side:

Republican Women for Obama

But a check on Maria Ciano, who is prominently featured in the Obama ad indicates she has been a registered Democrat since October 2006 according to voter registration records. She says in the ad: “People like me and my family have realized that the Republican Party once was inline with our views, but are no longer”

And on her Facebook page she indicates some of her “likes” as:
    * Democracy For America
    * Tar Sands Action
    * Amy Goodman
    * Barack Obama
    * Costoftaxcuts.com
    * Being Liberal
    * MoveOn.org
    * Bernie Sanders Tells You A Secret the GOP Would Rather You Didn’t Know
    * Miss Piggy Delivers the Best Takedown of Fox News We’ve Seen All Month
    * Think Progress
    * The Best Quote From Barack Obama We’ve Seen This Week
    * Dow and Monsanto Join Forces to Poison America’s Heartland
    * Climate Reality
    * Grist.org
    * The Amazing Victory Scored With Obama That More People Should Be Talking About
    * The Sierra Club
    * The Buffett Rule
    * Obama For America–Colorado
    * UniteWomen.org
    * Denver Young Democrats
    * Obamacare
    * Latinos For Obama
    * Michelle Obama
    * Veterans For Obama
    * I Love It When I Wake Up In the Morning and Obama Is President
    * Obama Truth Team
    * Democratic Party

Hmmm... A Republican?

I don’t know if it is arrogance or stupidity on the part of the Obama side. But one thing keeps coming back to me... when Debbie Wasserman Schutz, Chariwoman for the DNC, was questioned on CNN about her misrepresentation (nice way of saying "lied") of Mitt Romney's views in the LA Times piece, in a recent DNC fundraising email. Her response… “It doesn't matter

I guess it doesn’t!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭UDP

Atlantis50 wrote: »
    True. Not even his campaign labelling Ireland a 'Tax Haven' or his proposals to reform corporation tax which would seriously damage Ireland's economy have put people off.

"IRELAND HAS been described as a tax haven in a graphic posted on the website of US president Barack Obama.
    [...]
    The Obama administration is considering measures aimed at imposing a minimum level of tax on the profits of US multinationals that are located outside the US. Such a move could act as a disincentive to foreign direct investment into Ireland."

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/0705/1224319428255.html
    But ireland is a tax haven for multinationals. Isn't that why we have so many if them :confused:

Amerika wrote: »
    But a check on Maria Ciano, who is prominently featured in the Obama ad indicates she has been a registered Democrat since October 2006 according to voter registration records. She says in the ad: “People like me and my family have realized that the Republican Party once was inline with our views, but are no longer”

And on her Facebook page she indicates some of her “likes” as:

Hmmm... A Republican?
    She's been a registered Democrat since October 2006 (your words, not mine)

Facebook, while launched in February 2004 among select colleges, it wasn't opened to the public (ie. not requiring specific @xyz.edu addresses) on September 26 of 2006. Even then, it took a couple years for Facebook to enter mainstream consciousness. I think I might have started my profile in 2009, but didn't actually "use" facebook until 2011.

I hope that answers your question.

If you have the link for her profile why not scroll to the bottom of her profile and see when she became an active user.

Overheal wrote: »
    She's been a registered Democrat since October 2006 (your words, not mine)

Facebook, while launched in February 2004 among select colleges, it wasn't opened to the public (ie. not requiring specific @xyz.edu addresses) on September 26 of 2006. Even then, it took a couple years for Facebook to enter mainstream consciousness. I think I might have started my profile in 2009, but didn't actually "use" facebook until 2011.

I hope that succinctly answers your question.

Voter Registration Records and Facebook are two completely different entities. One can usually be found in the county elections office, the other in the internet world housed on some server(s) somewhere.

Anyway, using common sense, do you think she is a Republican, or just became one?

Voter Registration Records and Facebook are two completely different entities. One can usually be found in the county elections office, the other in the internet world housed on some server(s) somewhere.

Anyway, using common sense, do you think she is a Republican, or just became one?
    As you said, she became a registered Democrat in October 2006.

Facebook has been around since September 2006.

I really don't know that there are any more teeth to be pulled from this fascinating snippet of information.

Did you make some kind of egregious typo? Did she register as a Democrat in 2006, or as a Republican? Or did you just woefully summarize your entire statement, otherwise trying to say she claims in the video she is a Republican, when she isn't? Of course, she could have also been a Republican prior to 2006, which wouldn't be entirely shocking, since in that video most of those women talk about being Republican from ages 18 to whenever. At worst, she's not been a "Republican" for 6 years. Which would have been around when the GOPs approval numbers really started hitting the ****can, so it's not a shock.

I mean I just don't get what's supposed to be offensive: were they meant to find people who are still Republican and just 5 minutes before filming the video decided they were leaving the party? Let's be real.

(Do people still register for political parties? How quaint)

UDP wrote: »
    But ireland is a tax haven for multinationals. Isn't that why we have so many if them :confused:

Do you realise how much damage Obama's plans for multinational corporation tax would do to Ireland's already flagging economy?

Not only would it discourage future investment from American MNCs, but MNCs currently already employing thousands in Ireland would be encouraged to leave Ireland and go back to the US (by ending Ireland's (and other low tax countries) tax advantage and giving incentives to move back.

• Advertisement

Logical fallacy "..will say or do anything..." Actually he only apparently did one specific thing, and this newest ad uses it as a wedge to assume that Obama will do "anything" to stay in office. Would he actually murder a kitten, and then broadcast it on Al Jazeera?

Be warned, this will be my new thing this time around. Taking social ethics atm, so I'm on the hunt for fallacies like Ad Hominems (that old gem) and people promising things they, technically, don't have the facilities to promise like reforming health care or reversing health care reform - both actions require house and senate support and can't be done by one man.

"...Will do or say anything to get elected..." is a very common attack in US politics used by both Republicans and Democrats.

For example, look at the title of this Obama ad: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-z-U57BaSc

Rather than getting bogged down in 'a hunt for fallacies' (a 'hunt' no doubt restricted to Romney's ads and utterances) maybe you'd like to give your view on the subject of the ad - namely, the Obama campaign (via the PAC Priorities USA) blaming Romney for the death of a woman from cancer and exploiting it for political gain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭UDP

Do you realise how much damage Obama's plans for multinational corporation tax would do to Ireland's already flagging economy?

Not only would it discourage future investment from American MNCs, but MNCs currently already employing thousands in Ireland would be encouraged to leave Ireland and go back to the US (by ending Ireland's (and other low tax countries) tax advantage and giving incentives to move back.
    But if I was Obama I would do the same. It might affect us negatively but that doesn't make it the wrong thing to do as leader of the USA so how can I hold it against him. If Bush did the same thing I wouldn't have held it against him.

The whole woman in a wheelchair political meme is categorically ridiculous. That's all I really have to say about that garbage.

As you said, she became a registered Democrat in October 2006.

Facebook has been around since September 2006.

I really don't know that there are any more teeth to be pulled from this fascinating snippet of information.

Did you make some kind of egregious typo? Did she register as a Democrat in 2006, or as a Republican? Or did you just woefully summarize your entire statement, otherwise trying to say she claims in the video she is a Republican, when she isn't? Of course, she could have also been a Republican prior to 2006, which wouldn't be entirely shocking, since in that video most of those women talk about being Republican from ages 18 to whenever. At worst, she's not been a "Republican" for 6 years. Which would have been around when the GOPs approval numbers really started hitting the ****can, so it's not a shock.

I mean I just don't get what's supposed to be offensive: were they meant to find people who are still Republican and just 5 minutes before filming the video decided they were leaving the party? Let's be real.

(Do people still register for political parties? How quaint)

I think she is and has been a Democrat for a long time, which would make it rather disingenuous putting someone who might have been a Republican many many moons ago in an ad called Republican Women for Obama.

I noted she’s been a registered Democrat since 2006. Now I guess it’s conceivable she had a recent change of heart and reregistered as a Republican so recently that the office of voter registration hasn’t had time to update their records. Then she had an immediate change of political heart and suddenly became enthralled with left and Democratic causes (as indicated on the Facebook likes), and then ran out to make an ad for Obama.

I wouldn’t bet the farm on it though.

Rather than getting bogged down in 'a hunt for fallacies' (a 'hunt' no doubt restricted to Romney's ads and utterances) maybe you'd like to give your view on the subject of the ad - namely, the Obama campaign (via the PAC Priorities USA) blaming Romney for the death of a woman from cancer and exploiting it for political gain.

And there’s something in that Bill Burton PAC ad that people aren’t talking about. It was supposedly filmed the same union hall, but in different rooms, as when Soptic appeared in an earlier Obama official campaign ad. He was wearing the exact same clothes and looked exactly the same overall in both ads. Now we know the Obama Campaign and a PAC are not allowed to legally coordinate efforts, so I guess that would mean there were two completely different film crews at the union hall that day. Ya think?

(and I was watching a discussion the other day on C-SPAN when his PAC ad came up. Burton said he spoke to Joe Soptic, and Joe did not blame Romney. Anyone get that feeling from the ad?)

I think she is and has been a Democrat for a long time, which would make it rather disingenuous putting someone who might have been a Republican many many moons ago in an ad called Republican Women for Obama.

I noted she’s been a registered Democrat since 2006. Now I guess it’s conceivable she had a recent change of heart and reregistered as a Republican so recently that the office of voter registration hasn’t had time to update their records. Then she had an immediate change of political heart and suddenly became enthralled with left and Democratic causes (as indicated on the Facebook likes), and then ran out to make an ad for Obama.

I wouldn’t bet the farm on it though.
    Id be more on the idea of her swapping in '06 and them putting too much spin on it, for something that happened 6 years ago. It works though in the context say if "I was a Republican for 40 years and a couple years ago I left..." etc.

Id be more on the idea of her swapping in '06 and them putting too much spin on it, for something that happened 6 years ago. It works though in the context say if "I was a Republican for 40 years and a couple years ago I left..." etc.

Kinda like Hillary Clinton saying "As a Republican I now support Barack Obama." Just stinks to high hell, don't it?

Kinda like Hillary Clinton saying "As a Republican I now support Barack Obama." Just stinks to high hell, don't it?
    It would, but I don't thats what we're talking about.

Advertisement