Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should The Great White Shark Be Culled From Planet Earth??

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭crazy cabbage

Mickeroo wrote: »
    :D Now now the dictionary only reflects the generally held views of modern society (humans seperate from nature) which I've already made my views clear on (it's wrong :pac:). I meant definition of nature in the philosophical sense. Either way I've enjoyed this discussion. :)

True :p

And i do agree that humans are fully apart of nature.

Language is a funny thing. :pac:

I too have enjoyed this intelectual dual ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

If I break into your house and you shoot me fair game.

The sea is the sharks house.

We enter knowing the risks.

FFS, The Arrogance of people is unreal.

The Eco systmen has been in balance for billions of years and you want to destroy that so some drunk Aussies can go for a swim?

There are words for that sort of special genocide stupidity but suffice to say it wouldn't get through to the idocacy of anyone that holds that opinion dear.

I say feed the stupid bigots to the sharks.

I think as a species, we are inherently arrogant, wasteful (of resources/knowledge) and ruled by vested individuals/groups who do little to enrich our lives.

The most successful and powerful people are usually self absorbed, elitest, narrow minded and they are motivated by furthering themselves (in many cases at the expense of others). .

This is usually excused with some lame excuse like "its human nature" which is weak. I believe its human nature to be premiscuous, yet we have learned to have one partner and be satisfied by it. I believe we could do the same with greed, but as a species we are quite lazy and allow ourselves to be "slaves" to our own ignorance.

Its the same thing with this post. Who the f**k made us masters of the universe? Oh yeh, we did . . And then we made financial institutions the master of everything . .

Takes Zanex . .

That is all . .

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

smash wrote: »
    The greatest apex predator on the planet should be killed because of 5 deaths this year? No f*cking way!

Not so much, Orca can kick its ass
    But I agree with what you're saying, victims of shark attacks always say tey dont feel any malice for the shark, it's trying to eat, it's not trying to kill a person

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭123balltv

No it's the great white's home we live on land dont go swimming in someone else's home you're asking to be eating alive I only have sympathy for sailors who end up in the sea surrounded by hungry sharks after their boat has sunk

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭R33F

Not all the deaths in the past 12 months have been attributed soley to the Great White. I do not think the statistics they have (or do not have) will enable them to start culling or fishing for Great Whites anytime soon.

I found a link from OZ Geographic that shows not all attacks are related to the Great White:

Maybe its the music us Aussies like:

AC/DC proves irresistable to sharks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,017 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Leave the sharks alone. It's their sea, they're perfectly adapted to their environment, and it's humans who are the unwelcome ones there.

If you want to avoid many more deaths per year, ban vending machines. :cool:

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

We humans are an amazingly arrogant self centred bunch sometimes.

I fail to see why people think they have the right to run these creatures out of their habitats just so they , humans, can feel safer. If you come plundering into the sharks' habitat of course they will defend themselves.

It's much like how our farmers poison eagles and our fishermen cull seals because they believe these animals are encroaching on their food sources when just the opposite is true.

It is the height of ignorance and arrogance to assume that we have more right to the planet then they do.

The only animal that needs controlling is us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

Too many people on the planet. If anything we need a cull on the human population.

i agree with this. while we are at it lets cull all crocodiles, sting rays, elephants, and remove the choppers and claws from every bear , lion & tiger on the planet because they look cute and deserve to get off lightly

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

... It's much like how our farmers poison eagles and our fishermen cull seals because they believe these animals are encroaching on their food sources when just the opposite is true.

It is the height of ignorance and arrogance to assume that we have more right to the planet then they do....
    Don't forget foxes, badgers, otters, crows, etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Many people are proud humans and believe the human race should dominate throughout the world to the point where if almost every animal became extinct apart from humanity, then thats a job well done as humanity has proven to be the most superior and so be it.

:eek:

Excuse me?

Who are these "many people"?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 kevin james murray

i blame the orientals they eat anything, if a health inspector sees a cockroach crawling across your restaurant floor he shuts you down. Over their its on the first course. they kill thousands of sharks a year boycott oriental eating houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Even considering this is simply ridiculous.
    Its not like sharks even contribute to that many human deaths each year. Many other species such as hippos, bears,snakes even horses donkeys,dogs and bees kill 10 times the number of people sharks do!! So why cull the great white?!At that rate we should just murder almost all other species on the planet as so many other species cause far more human fatalities than great whites. Its an amazing creature that has as much right to be on this planet as us and we shouldnt get to choose whether other species get to live or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Tarkus

It may already be too late:

The Dangers Of The Devious Land Shark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Biodegradable Bellend

It is sad to think that anyone could even consider this.

The only problem this planet faces is humanity. It's sad that we want to colonise other planets. Why? At the end of it all we'll just end up destroying them, just like here. we'll kill our host, just like cancer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Not so much, Orca can kick its ass
    But I agree with what you're saying
    I think a lot of dolphins are known to attack sharks too and when you think about it a pod of dolphins would beat the crap out of a loan shark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Biodegradable Bellend

ScumLord wrote: »
    I think a lot of dolphins are known to attack sharks too and when you think about it a pod of dolphins would beat the crap out of a loan shark.

Loan sharks deserve all they get...bastards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭alphabeat

better of culling cars FFS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

Have any of the people that voted Yes on the poll argued their case on the thread?

I just can't see how anybody could think this was a good idea.

I voted 'Yes' because calling them GREAT WHITES is racist.

Is there a Great Black shark? Nope. And a Great Black shark would be unreal. It would probably have an Afro too because afro's repel water so it would have this stunning vortex just above its head as it rolled about the ocean doin his thang like he do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,198 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

The lastest victim was only swimming 200 metres off shore in Western Australia

Only 200 metres? That's practically the middle of the fúcking ocean. You know sharks are out there, why swim there?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

ScumLord wrote: »

That's what happened in Flipper. The boogieshark was coming for Elijah Wood but Flipper saw and saved him. Boogiesharks are extremely intelligent and devious and can walk on land.

Is anyone else extremely scared of those aquariums where all the water tanks are above you and the sharks are in 'em lookin' at you, along with millions of litres of water?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,299 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Sindri wrote: »
    That's what happened in Flipper. The boogieshark was coming for Elijah Wood but Flipper saw and saved him. Boogiesharks are extremely intelligent and devious and can walk on land.

Is anyone else extremely scared of those aquariums where all the water tanks are above you and the sharks are in 'em lookin' at you, along with millions of litres of water?

The real flipper killed himself. Useless fact for the day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

J. Marston wrote: »
    The lastest victim was only swimming 200 metres off shore in Western Australia

Only 200 metres? That's practically the middle of the fúcking ocean. You know sharks are out there, why swim there?
    Spot on
    They know they are there but they can't resist swimming in it. No sympathy for them
    I love the way when a person is attacked by a shark they say I don't blame the shark
    That's cuz it's not the sharks fault

Did u know most shark attacks happen in less than 5 foot of water

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 689 ✭✭✭stylie

Spot on
    They know they are there but they can't resist swimming in it. No sympathy for them
    I love the way when a person is attacked by a shark they say I don't blame the shark
    That's cuz it's not the sharks fault

Did u know most shark attacks happen in less than 5 foot of water

Did you know every Shark attack victim was wet at the time ?
    Makes ya think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Cienciano wrote: »
    The real flipper killed himself. Useless fact for the day
    And the guy who trained him went on to make a Dolphin killing snuff film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 399 ✭✭IceFjoem

stylie wrote: »
    Did you know every Shark attack victim was wet at the time ?

that's hot...

Advertisement