Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abortion/ *Note* Thread Closing Shortly! ! !

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

In my worldview you are affecting someone else. And so, according to your worldview, I shouldn't grant choice.

Until the foetus develops a brain, it is being effected by the choice about as much as a foot is effected by its own amputation. Its ability to be effected is massively compromised by virtue of the nature of its own existence. Your worldview effects the mother far more than the foetus, which still puts your worldview at a far lower level than ours.

Its amazing how you don't care about this someone else being effected, once they are out of the country :rolleyes:

Stupify wrote: »
    But the person in the car crash case can't run over someone if they were following all the rules of the road and so was the pedestrian. An accident always has a cause and the cause of the accident takes responsibility.

In the case where the cause was a broken condom, the two consenting adults knew that was a risk.

Brakes never fail? Road lights never fail? Third party road users never drive dangerously? There are plenty of possibilities that are analogous to condoms failing (ie both parties do everything right, but an accident still happens).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

DB21 wrote: »
    Of course, this is me being obtuse in return. Not everything that's alive has a nervous system.

The issue is personhood, what it is and when it starts. In my view that's at conception and isn't reliant on stages of physical development.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Flier

... An accident always has a cause and the cause of the accident takes responsibility.

In the case where the cause was a broken condom, the two consenting adults knew that was a risk.

Great - I hope Durex have really good childcare facilities!

koth wrote:
    Is it not better to allow people to live by their own worldview?
    That's called anarchy

Been thinking about this. You call it anarchy when people live according to their own worldviews, therefore you say they should live according to your religiously inspired one - a theocracy, in effect. But, you have pointed out that you are a christian, but don't follow the teachings of any one specific church. This would make your theocracy, a theocracy subject to your, singular, personal worldview. Everyone living according to one single persons enforced point of view.
    That would be a tyranny, wouldn't it?

• Advertisement

Until the foetus develops a brain, it is being effected by the choice about as much as a foot is effected by its own amputation.

If taking a naturalistic, utilitarian view on what constitutes personhood - with all the tragic history that that world view allows in the door.

Naturally that's not my perspective and so the argument doesn't float for me. No matter how many times it's repeated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭doctoremma

The issue is personhood, what it is and when it starts. In my view that's at conception and isn't reliant on stages of physical development.
    So at conception, the single cell's right to life is equal to an adult's? Their inherent values are equivalent?

Then why does it start at concept and not before? Why not value all the millions of sperm or the eggs wasted, if you don't care about stages of physical development?

If taking a naturalistic, utilitarian view on what constitutes personhood - with all the tragic history that that world view allows in the door.

Naturally that's not my perspective and so the argument doesn't float for me. No matter how many times it's repeated.

Its repeated because you deny it without logical response.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Stupify

There is a difference between the right not to have someone kill you and the right that you be offered life saving treatment.

The mother is just refusing to allow her body be used as an incubator for the baby in this case.

Same as the person is refusing to allow his organs to be used to save someone.

In both cases an innocent dies but it isn't the fault of the other person.

• Advertisement

Been thinking about this. You call it anarchy when people live according to their own worldviews,

If permitted to do so utterly and totally. Koth meant it in more restricted vein, which wouldn't be anarchy
    therefore you say they should live according to your religiously inspired one - a theocracy, in effect. But, you have pointed out that you are a christian, but don't follow the teachings of any one specific church. This would make your theocracy, a theocracy subject to your, singular, personal worldview. Everyone living according to one single persons enforced point of view.
    That would be a tyranny, wouldn't it?

It would were it to ever come about. But it won't. My voice will pile in with all the other voices and a result will ensue.

The mother is just refusing to allow her body be used as an incubator for the baby in this case.

Same as the person is refusing to allow his organs to be used to save someone.

In both cases an innocent dies but it isn't the fault of the other person.

In the one case, disease killed the person. In another a person killed the person.

Its repeated because you deny it without logical response.

The response is that I have my own worldview. There isn't any point in you arguing as if I were looking through your spectacles.

doctoremma wrote: »
    So at conception, the single cell's right to life is equal to an adult's? Their inherent values are equivalent?

Exactly. Although I'd use a different measure of personhood than merely majority cell rule.

Brakes never fail? Road lights never fail? Third party road users never drive dangerously? There are plenty of possibilities that are analogous to condoms failing (ie both parties do everything right, but an accident still happens).

But in the case where both parties do everything right and something like the brakes fail then theres insurance. Abortion can't be seen as acceptable insurance surely?

With sex there is no insurance, the whole point of sex in this world is to create life. The whole point of driving is to get somewhere. If you go racing on a track in a car and die you took that chance, same if you get pregnant from having sex.

I'm trying to argue from a different viewpoint to my own here.
    This car crash analogy doesn't overlap at all with sex.

Flier wrote: »
    Great - I hope Durex have really good childcare facilities!

Durex have the risks on the box don't they?

In the one case, disease killed the person. In another a person killed the person.

In both cases the person wasn't able to live without taking something from another.

Exactly. Although I'd use a different measure of personhood than merely majority cell rule.
    Some time earlier in this thread, I posed a dilemma. You have to make a choice to rescue a grown (or, at least, born) person or a cryotank of IVF embryos from a burning room. Your choice?

In both cases the person wasn't able to live without taking something from another.

That much is identical. But I gave a place where they are not identical. And where not identical then there is no need to tar with the same brush.

Some time earlier in this thread, I posed a dilemma. You have to make a choice to rescue a grown (or, at least, born) person or a cryotank of IVF embryos from a burning room. Your choice?

How many of the IVF embryos are you granting will be brought to term?

• Advertisement

That much is identical. But I gave a place where they are not identical. And where not identical then there is no need to tar with the same brush.

Yes and it is the rapist who is the murderer.

Someone attaches someone else to me without my consent. If that person could then not be removed without that person dying, I still have a right to remove that person. The person that attached the person is the murderer.

How many of the IVF embryos are you granting will be brought to term?
    Only the potential parents of said embryos could know that.

But for the purposes of debate, let's say...one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

They're a grand thing. A place where people get to rule themselves.

Great so how do you suggest our constitutional republic legislate for a woman's right to abortion if her life is at risk through suicide as they are entitled by our constitution?

The response is that I have my own worldview. There isn't any point in you arguing as if I were looking through your spectacles.

Which is not a logical response. If you say "I believe X" and someone says "What about Y", and you respond with "I believe X", you aren't engaging with the debate.

But in the case where both parties do everything right and something like the brakes fail then theres insurance. Abortion can't be seen as acceptable insurance surely?

With sex there is no insurance, the whole point of sex in this world is to create life. The whole point of driving is to get somewhere. If you go racing on a track in a car and die you took that chance, same if you get pregnant from having sex.

I'm trying to argue from a different viewpoint to my own here.
    This car crash analogy doesn't overlap at all with sex.

Insurance is just so you can afford (financially) to have medical treatments, its not a treatment itself, so its not analogous.
    For many people, the point of sex is to have sex (cause its enjoyable). For many people, the point of driving is to drive, because that is enjoyable. An accident happening in one (despite all precautions being taken) is analogous to an accident happening in the other.

You may have missed it antiskeptic, but can you respond to this post.

But for the purposes of debate, let's say...one.

Then I'd save the adult since I've more chance of ending up with a living being afterwards.

Then I'd save the adult since I've more chance of ending up with a living being afterwards.
    But if you take the tank, you are saving thousands of not just living beings but persons?

Insurance is just so you can afford (financially) to have medical treatments, its not a treatment itself, so its not analogous.
    For many people, the point of sex is to have sex (cause its enjoyable). For many people, the point of driving is to drive, because that is enjoyable. An accident happening in one (despite all precautions being taken) is analogous to an accident happening in the other.

But the actors are different; there is no substitute for the child in the car crash analogy.

Its a terrible analogy. Most analogies are.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 51,798 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Sorry, I thought you meant allowing people to live by their own worldview on all matters.
    no problem.
    Since the State very frequently doesn't allow people to live according to their own worldview on a whole host of matters, then each instance need be examined on it's own merit.

In this instance, I don't see an issue with the State not permitting each to their own.
    Of course you wouldn't as your POV is being imposed on all pregnant women. But like all discussion people need to expand their thinking if others are to understand why they are for/against something. I've yet to hear a reasonable explanation as to why an embryo is a person for example.
    It doesn't matter that they don't agree since there is no intrinsic need that all agree before a certain worldview is imposed on all.
    Of course, but if there isn't a consensus then it opens things up for change.
    Their imposing their worldview on the child. And the way around that is to pronounce the child not a child.
    Not true. An embryo and probably the very early stages of the foetus are not sentient. To use the word child is to evoke the idea it is a self-aware being, i.e. a person, that it can feel pain/process thoughts/remember etc. A child is more than the sum of genetic material of it's parents.

To say that you are killing a child by aborting an embryo would be the equivalent of saying that turning off life support on a brain dead patient is murder.

If you can read this, you're too close!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement