Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abortion/ *Note* Thread Closing Shortly! ! !

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭krankykitty

I don't get this. If you don't believe in the teachings of the Catholic church (as per Benny & pals), then why want to be a Catholic? People are that caught up with the idea of a Catholic identity that they just can't let it go? I think most Catholics I know are more Protestants (or Atheists!!) than anything else really. But they can't admit that and the stranglehold on our country by this religion continues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

There is someone near where I live that always has anti-abortion messages on their car. The usual stuff. They have now updated to a new one that covers most of the back window. There is a photo of a woman holding a baby, with the legend "I love them both!".

I nearly barfed onto my steering wheel.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

fisgon wrote: »
    There is someone near where I live that always has anti-abortion messages on their car. The usual stuff. They have now updated to a new one that covers most of the back window. There is a photo of a woman holding a baby, with the legend "I love them both!".

Knock on their window and when they roll it down barf on their steering wheel instead. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Shout "perverts" at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Nodin wrote: »
    Shout "perverts" at them.

Or "wife-swapping sodomites". ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

Well they are not Roman Catholics :) sound closer to be Episcopalians.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,709 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Well, today's the day when we see (possibly) the politicians in Govt Ministerial positions move to one side of the fence or the other, regardless of the whip. I await Lucinda's decision.

No more of this "guide-lines" fudge which "tell's" a doctor what to do, and at the same time tell's him an uninvolved second-guesser can bring criminal and medical oversight against said doctor for carrying out an abortion operation. Abortion allowable when a medical doctor is assured that a woman's (or girl) threat of suicide is real and not a bluff.

Apparently no abortion allowed when the woman or girl is pregnant by way of being a victim of rape or sexual abuse. So she's left at the mercy of the rapist or abuser again, if she had any thoughts of aborting any foetus brought into being by the above criminal act/s (which she may or may not have).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

Correct. And that's why we're not finished campaigning yet. Nowhere near, until the 8th amendment is repealed.

Got a Youth Defence leaflet in my door last night, so I photo'd it's pages and put them in my PC Documents section. How do I download them to this page.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

Go to "go advanced", write your post and then scroll below the post window to "manage attachments", you can add them there from your computer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,038 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Rapists win again, tiocfaidh ar la woohoo

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,417 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I'm sure the pro-life types will still complain about not getting media air time even though they've been quoted in each article I've seen in the past few days...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bobby42

Can anyone explain this to me? I still can't quite get my head around it.

http://www.thejournal.ie/ronan-mullen-abortion-newtown-double-think-721352-Dec2012/

Mullen seems to suggesting that its contradictory to sympathise with the victims of the shooting on Friday while looking for the X case to be legislated for.

So if you support abortion in cases to save the mother's life you also support school massacres?

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Flier

Mr Mullen is clearly a very confused and troubled individual. Bless.

Bobby42 wrote: »

http://www.thejournal.ie/ronan-mullen-abortion-newtown-double-think-721352-Dec2012/

Mullen seems to suggesting that its contradictory to sympathise with the victims of the shooting on Friday while looking for the X case to be legislated for.

So if you support abortion in cases to save the mother's life you also support school massacres?

This has given me so much glee, R Mullen has shown that the is the same sorta of christian crackpot as the Westborgo baptist church.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Yeah, I think that last statement killed off any shred of sympathy or empathy I could have had for the man. All bets are off as far as I'm concerned.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,417 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

/tears hair out, what do we do, what do we do?
    Double think!
    Confuse the issue!
    Profit?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

1. Kill the unborn.
    2. Kill the children
    3. Kill everybody else
    4. ...?
    5. Profit!

Who wants a referendum?
    We Do!

http://www.irishchoicenetwork.com/1/post/2012/12/joint-statement-pro-choice-groups-welcome-government-announcement-and-call-for-referendum.html
    Joint Statement: Pro-choice groups welcome government announcement and call for referendum

Speaking following the government announcement today that it intends to bring forward legislation and regulations on abortion, a broad range of pro-choice groups welcomed the call but said that the government must give commitments on the dates by which this will happen. The groups, which include Irish Choice Network, Choice Ireland, Action on X, Galway Pro-Choice, Cork Women’s Right to Choose and Doctors for Choice said that furthermore this legislation should only be considered a first step towards liberalising abortion laws in Ireland which must include holding a referendum to repeal the 8th Amendment to the Constitution.

Action on X spokesperson Sinéad Kennedy said;

“We very much welcome this announcement today that a legal framework for abortion in cases of a risk to the life of a pregnant woman will be introduced, including that of suicide. However we are concerned that there is no timeframe or implementation plan included with it. The Expert Group was originally created to delay matters and the government should not be allowed to drag their feet on the issue. This should be the first item of business on the Dáil schedule once they return after Christmas. It has been delayed twenty years already.

“Within the legislation that is produced, there must also be no curtailment of a woman’s right to access abortion on the ground that she is suicidal. We are aware that there are moves from some TDs to have this rolled back, however this is a constitutional right confirmed by the Supreme Court decision in the X Case and the European Court of Human Rights judgment in the ABC case. It must be delivered on.

Further commenting, Choice Ireland spokesperson Stephanie Lord said;

“The government announcement that it will introduce legislation for X is to be welcomed, however it is now time for the government to acknowledge the reality of abortion in Ireland. The next step should be the introduction of a referendum bill that will repeal the 8th amendment. It is inhumane that this has not happened before now. There are 4,500 women that travel overseas for abortion services every year, and many more that order pills online to induce abortions at home. Women have a right to make the best choice for them under their circumstances, and their right to health care must also be upheld. It is now time to introduce free, safe, and legal abortion on demand in Ireland.”

ENDS

Note to Editors

Spokespersons from pro-choice groups available for comment are;

Choice Ireland
    Action on X
    Irish Choice Network
    Galway Pro-Choice
    Cork Women’s Right to Choose
    Doctors for Choice
    Feminist Open Forum

Go to "go advanced", write your post and then scroll below the post window to "manage attachments", you can add them there from your computer.

Ta for that :)

• Advertisement

Youth Defence on the matter, leaflet in my door.

Youth Defence on the matter, leaflet in my door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Why? :confused: Would you prefer a picture that shows a woman flinging her baby around by the legs or something? Fair enough you dont agree with the underlying message, but I'm amused that a picture of a woman holding a baby could induce nausea. You must have a very weak stomach, or maybe a baby-phobia lol

Perhaps because it's cheap, cynical emotional manipulation?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

And because their "love" only goes so far. Be prochoice or admit you have had an abortion and its anything but love they'll be giving you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Sarky wrote: »
    Perhaps because it's cheap, cynical emotional manipulation?

I think people find offence where they want. To someone who rises above the propaganda, its just a picture of a woman and baby, that they are free to ignore. I'd have more of a gripe with the loo laahs who wave pictures of dead babies in the city centre (and I'm pro life)

It's all very well to rise above it, but it's still wrong. You can use emotional appeal to make anything popular even if it's completely flawed, and Youth Defence et al. do exactly that, and I think they're despicable for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

Bobby42 wrote: »

I was just coming on here to post this. What an absolutely disgusting lowlife he is. To use the murder of 20 children to further his own far removed agenda is a singularly appalling act though not especially surprising from this arsehole.

This is what freaked me out, he is one of the directors of a trust for a large number of secondary schools.

http://www.ceist.ie/about_us/index.cfm?loadref=273
    Mr. Rónán Mullen Rónán is a native of Ahascragh, Co. Galway. He is a member of Seanad
    Éireann, representing National University of Ireland (NUI) graduates,
    having been elected at the first attempt in 2007.
    He is a barrister and lectures in Law and Communications at the Institute
    of Technology, Blanchardstown. He is a frequent commentator in the
    media and has written weekly columns for the Irish Daily Mail and
    previously the Irish Examiner.
    Rónán worked in the Communications Office of the Dublin diocese from
    1996 to 2001 and acted as a spokesman for the Archbishop and the
    diocese during that time.
    He was Academic and Student Affairs Officer at Dundalk RTC from 1994
    to 1996 and President of the Students Union, NUI Galway from 1991 to
    Rónán is also a member of the Corporate Board of Management of
    Daughters of Charity Community Services, a community education
    agency of the Daughters of Charity in Dublin’s City Centre.

Where not to send your kids http://www.ceist.ie/ceist_schools/index.cfm?loadref=13

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

CEIST wrote:
    Mr. Rónán Mullen Rónán is a native of Ahascragh, Co. Galway. He is a member of Seanad
    Éireann, representing National University of Ireland (NUI) graduates,
    having been elected at the first attempt in 2007.
    He is a barrister and lectures in Law and Communications at the Institute
    of Technology, Blanchardstown. He is a frequent commentator in the
    media and has written weekly columns for the Irish Daily Mail and
    previously the Irish Examiner.
    Rónán worked in the Communications Office of the Dublin diocese from
    1996 to 2001 and acted as a spokesman for the Archbishop and the
    diocese during that time.
    Well, that explains a lot. I'm so glad my secondary school isn't in CEIST's iron grip.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement