Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abortion/ *Note* Thread Closing Shortly! ! !

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Haven't seen the updated schedule, but here's the schedule as of last Friday evening:

http://www.thejournal.ie/experts-in-dail-next-week-for-discussions-on-abortion-issues-741291-Jan2013/

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Morgase

lazygal wrote: »
    Why do celebate men get to have a meeting with the government? What makes them so special?

They're the one crowd who are totally unaffected by abortion!

It makes more sense to me to take a random sample of women and men, whether they be single, married or cohabiting, and ask them for their views.

Hopefully such ordinary people will be represented by Atheist Ireland.

Morgase wrote: »
    They're the one crowd who are totally unaffected by abortion!
    I disagree!

I think they've been earning lots of brownie points with Herr Ratzinger by worrying about this in public. And the various financial backers of the various religious organizations have probably seen their donations increase quite substantially too. Win all around really!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

robindch wrote: »
    I disagree!

I think they've been earning lots of brownie points with Herr Ratzinger by worrying about this in public. And the various financial backers of the various religious organizations have probably seen their donations increase quite substantially too. Win all around really!

Indeedy. Look at the grief the nuns in the states got for worrying too much about the poor and social issues and not enough about the gays and abortion. Its all about priorities.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

ninja900 wrote: »
    Buddhists and Hindus are ignored as well and they're far larger than Jews these days.

The second largest religious view in Ireland is, of course, entirely ignored. It is 'no religion'.

I thought not playing chess is not a hobby and all that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,634 ✭✭✭✭28064212

JimiTime wrote: »
    I thought not playing chess is not a hobby and all that?
    Not playing chess is not a hobby. It is a view on the merits of chess-playing though

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

28064212 wrote: »
    Not playing chess is not a hobby. It is a view on the merits of chess-playing though

No its not, its simply not playing chess. A view on the merits of playing chess is not simply not playing chess. I'm just dropping a seagull point here though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭DB21

JimiTime wrote: »
    No its not, its simply not playing chess. A view on the merits of playing chess is not simply not playing chess. I'm just dropping a seagull point here though :)

No, you're trying to drop the cat amongst the pigeons, whip everyone up into a frenzy, and then look for an excuse to drop out of any imminent debate. :)

Atheists are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more entitled to be part of this focus group than a bunch of celibate old men taking instruction from their invisible men.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Its a shame there seems to be only 2 people from the pro choice groups and 7 from the anti abortion groups.

An even bigger shame is the lack of representation from women and their partner s who have actually had abortions overseas to talk about the impact having to travel has had. I actually emailed Enda Kenny when I found out he was meeting the Church offering him my story for balance but didn't even get a reply :(

It just seems every single debate leaves out the voices of the women who have been directly affected by the lack of abortion services here.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

There's one thing I don't get about pro-lifers/anti-choicers - forcing a pregnant woman to carry a non-viable fetus to term. :mad:

I don't think the term "pro-life" is really suitable when you support the birth of a fetus/baby that will die within minutes or hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Atheist Ireland has now been invited to take part in this hearing.

Thank you to anyone here who emailed the Oireachtas Health Committee, and thank you to the Health Committee for its prompt and courteous response to our request.

Coincidentally, I'm happy for you to represent me in such a forum however I would like if you would bear in mind that Atheist Ireland doesn't represent atheists in the same way that the hierarchy of Catholics represent Catholics.

Although it's important for a secular viewpoint to be heard I don't want people to get the impression that Atheist Ireland is the de facto leadership of all atheists in Ireland.

Gbear wrote: »
    Although it's important for a secular viewpoint to be heard I don't want people to get the impression that Atheist Ireland is the de facto leadership of all atheists in Ireland.
    I can't speak for AI, but Michael has been pretty clear in any communications I've seen that he's speaking on behalf of the membership of AI only, and never on behalf of all atheists, agnostics, humanists, atheist-plussers (god forbid somebody would try) etc etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

Coincidentally, I'm happy for you to represent me in such a forum however I would like if you would bear in mind that Atheist Ireland doesn't represent atheists in the same way that the hierarchy of Catholics represent Catholics.

Fair enough, but they're the best we've got at policy level. If they don't represent you, get in there and vote on their policy? I intend to (haven't done it yet :)). I'm happy they're going to be there too.

I also don't think for a minute that the hierarchy of Catholics represent Catholics. That's their problem (and ours, in terms of how they have manipulated this country). At least we get to vote on the Board of AI/policies if we join.

It irritates me slightly that lots of people keep saying AI doesn't represent ALL atheists (of course it doesn't, how would it?), yet they're happy to see them speak up when it counts. Nothing personal to you Gbear, just that I've seen this so often, and yet we DO need a voice. In fact, we moan about not having a voice all the time.

Obliq wrote: »
    It irritates me slightly that lots of people keep saying AI doesn't represent ALL atheists [...]
    Cough :o

In all fairness, that's always going to be the problem with something like atheism that tends to be defined more by what it's not, than what it is.

But are there any atheism-related issues that AI is speaking up on that people actually disagree with?

For myself, the only two I can think of are (a) whatever that recent spat was with the ICCL (too many irons in too many fires it seemed to me); and (b) the respectful, trusting position that I understand AI has taken wrt to the activities, policies and views of Miss Watson and her friends (much anon elsewhere).

robindch wrote: »
    Cough :o

In all fairness, that's always going to be the problem with something like atheism that tends to be defined more by what it's not, than what it is.

Well, that's exactly what I mean - I get irritated because it's obvious AI isn't going to be representing anyone except their actual membership, but people going on about the ways it doesn't represent them seems to be the only actual problem. If you're not in, ye can't win...and all that.
    But are there any atheism-related issues that AI is speaking up on that people actually disagree with?

For myself, the only two I can think of are (a) whatever that recent spat was with the ICCL (too many irons in too many fires it seemed to me); and (b) the respectful, trusting position that I understand AI has taken wrt to the activities, policies and views of Miss Watson and her friends (much anon elsewhere).

Same as. I'm on the fence about the "respectful, trusting" position AI has taken to the Ms.Watsons of this world - haven't spotted any particular leanings in AI policy - just a lot of clearly thought out policies respecting everyone in an inclusive way. I have noticed some AI members being particularly caring about people who (IMO) cry wolf a lot, but I don't see that translated into policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Michael Nugent

That's among the first things we will be clarifying. We regularly make this point.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

.......in the same way that the hierarchy of Catholics represent Catholics.

Hmm, I'm dubious.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Michael, any chance of getting a reason from government as to why the bishops are having a specific meeting with it and whether other interest or lobby group will get the same treatment? Might be worth asking about at the hearings.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Who's this "Ms Watson"?

Who's this "Ms Watson"?
    The good Miss Watson and her friends and activities have been discussed at some length here, here and here.

• Advertisement

Who's this "Ms Watson"?

The person in this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ez8gs-C53ic

Suggest not getting into it all, sigh. I'm a late comer to the debate - all I can say is that Ms Watson is entirely dependent on who you are talking to, at this stage. Tis all to do with "militant feminism" taking over "atheism" apparently, and/or misogyny, depending on who is talking/arguing/abusing you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Michael Nugent

lazygal wrote: »
    Michael, any chance of getting a reason from government as to why the bishops are having a specific meeting with it and whether other interest or lobby group will get the same treatment? Might be worth asking about at the hearings.
    There is a structured dialogue process between the Government and both religious and nonreligious bodies. It's called a structured process but it's not really structured.

The context was that the EU, under what evolved into the Lisbon Treaty, decided that the EU had to have the same relationship with non-confessional philosophical groups as it has with religions.

Bertie Ahern started meetings in Ireland with religious groups, and included the Humanist Association as a nonreligious group (this was before Atheist Ireland had been founded). Then Brian Cowen seemed to ignore the process, and Enda Kenny has now restarted it.

In 2011 we asked the government for Atheist Ireland to take part in this process. Our position was that the process should not exist, but while it did we didn't want religious groups to have a free run at this political access.

Atheist Ireland has had one meeting with the Taoiseach's Department, in 2011, and we have asked them last July for a meeting with the Taoiseach himself. We're still waiting for a reply to that, and we will be writing again on foot of him arranging to meet with the Catholic Bishops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

efb wrote: »

'ctrl F Uganda'

Nope. Nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Sierra 117

So much concern for the unborn. And yet the compensation owed to the people abused when they were children by priests remains unpaid. He hasn't a leg to stand on.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,710 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

If you're really interested in the hearings, it's live on Oireachtas.ie and on UPC channel 207

• Registered Users Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭swampgas

aloyisious wrote: »
    If you're really interested in the hearings, it's live on Oireachtas.ie and on UPC channel 207

Thanks!

Direct link to webcast page to make life easier:
    http://www.oireachtas.ie/ViewDoc.asp?fn=/documents/livewebcast/Web-Live.htm&CatID=83&m=o

Schedule again:

Tuesday 8th January - Seanad Eireann (Medical Hearings)

Session 1: @ 9.30 - 11.30
    Department of Health (Ms. Geraldine Luddy ...to open)
    Irish Medical Council (Ms.Caroline Spillane, CEO., & Mr. Kieran Murphy, President)

Session 2: @ 11.45 - 13.45
    Dr. Rhona Mahony, Master, National Maternity Hospital,
    Dr. Sam Coulter Smyth, Master Rotunda Hospital,
    Dr. Mary McCaffrey. Kerry Hospital, Tralee.

Session 3: @ 14.45 - 16.45
    Dr. Anthony McCarthy,
    Dr. Joanne Fenton,
    Dr. John Sheehan
    Dr. Maeve Doyle (all College of Psychiatry Ireland)
    Prof. Patricia Casey (Dept. of Adult Psychiatry, UCD & Mater Misercordiae University Hospital)
    Prof. Veronica O'Kane (Dept. of Psychiatry, Tallaght Hospital)

Session 4: @ 17:00 - 19.00
    Irish Family Planning Association (Mr. Niall Behan CEO, Dr. Caitriona Henchion)
    Institute of Obstetricians & Gynaecologists (Prof. Robert F Harrison, Chairman, Dr. Meabh Ni Bhuinneain, Prof. Fionnuala McAuliffe)
    Maternal Death Inquiry Ireland (Prof. Richard Greene)

Wednesday 9th January - Seanad Eireann (Legal Hearings)

Session 1: @ 9.30 - 11.30
    Ms. Jeniffer Schweppe (University of Limerick)
    Ms. Ciara Staunton (NUI Galway)
    Dr. Simon Mills (Law Library)

Session 2: @ 11.45 - 13.45
    Bar Council of Ireland (Mr. David Nolan)
    Irish Council of Civil Liberties (Mr Stephen O'Hare, Mr Alan D.P. Brady)

Session 3: @ 14.45 - 16.15
    Professor William Binchy (Trinity College Dublin)
    Hon. Judge Catherine McGuiness (retired)

Thursday 10th January - Seanad Eireann (Churches & Advocacy Groups)

Session 1: @ 9.30-11.30
    Irish Catholic Bishops Conference (Rev. Christopher Jones, Bishop of Elphin; Fr. Timothy Bartlett)
    Church of Ireland (Most Rev. Dr. Michael Jackson, Archbishop of Dublin; Mr. Samuel Harper)
    Presbyterian Church of Ireland (Dr. Trevor Morrow, Dr. Roy Patton)
    Methodist Church of Ireland (Ms. Heidi Good)
    Islamic Cultural Centre of Ireland (Dr. Ali Selim)
    Atheist Ireland, (Mr. Michael Nugent,)

Session 2: @ 11.45- 13.45
    Pro Life Campaign (Ms. Caroline Simons; Dr. Berry Kiely)
    Youth Defence (Dr. Eoghan de Faoite; Dr. Sean O'Domhnaill)
    Family & life (Mr. Patrick Carr, Mr. David Manley)
    Iona Institute (Ms. Breda O'Brien)

Session 3: @ 14.45 - 16.45
    Choice Ireland (Ms. Jacinta Fay; Ms. Denise Ryan)
    National Womens Council of Ireland (Ms. Orla O'Connor, Director, Ms. Jacqueline Healy)
    Action on X (Ms. Ailbhe Smyth; Ms. Therese Caherty)

All hearings will be in public session and will be broadcast live on these pages and on the Oireachtas channel 207 on the UPC cable network.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Hmm, I'm dubious.

Yeah, in practice they don't really but I don't think you should really be able to call yourself a catholic if you don't want to be represented by the Catholic Church.

Whereas being atheist is vague enough that it doesn't even necessarily mean you're not religious, much less specifically aligned with AI (which, again, I mostly am).

• Advertisement

This is a handy link if you want to find particular speakers and/or what they said. Ongoing coverage.

http://www.thejournal.ie/live-video-oireachtas-committee-hearings-abortion-744979-Jan2013/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement