Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abortion/ *Note* Thread Closing Shortly! ! !

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭DB21

Methody wrote: »
    Well for starters, they would not be getting any inheritance money. Also, if they were 21 or over and still living at home, they'd be sent to the nearest bedsit to sort their lives out for themselves seeing as they think they know better than the education and sacrafices I've made for them. A bit of tough love is in their best interests.

Oh my Zod, I seriously hope you're a Poe.

• Moderators Posts: 51,798 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Ah yes, it's all the evil Catholic Church's fault (as usual).

What presence do YOU have in Uganda? None. Therefore, you really ought to shut up about things you know nothing about.

care to enlighten us as to what medical qualifications you have then?

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

You're not privy to the full facts of these cases. The only "facts" I pay heed to are those findings from a court of law or a tribunal. What you read in the paper of broken record aren't facts.

I challenge you to discuss one particular case to back up your opinions.

Ferns Report.

http://www.bishop-accountability.org/reports/2005_10_Ferns/ferns_0_0_title_exec_intro.pdf

Sample quotes:

"Between 1960 and 1980 it would appear that Bishop Herlihy treated child sexual abuse by priests of his diocese exclusively as a moral problem. He penalised the priest in respect of whom the allegation was made by transferring him to a different post or a different diocese for a period of time but then returned him to his former position."

"What was wholly inappropriate and totally inexplicable was the decision of Bishop Herlihy to appoint to curacies priests against whom allegations had been made and in respect of whom a respected clerical psychologist had expressed his concerns in unambiguous terms as to their suitability to interact with young people. Equally inappropriate was Bishop Herlihy's decision to ordain clearly unsuitable men into the priesthood when he knew or ought to have known that they had a propensity to abuse children."

Took less than five minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

The catholic church is made up of people who succumb to human failings. Has done. Always will do. The point is though that the church continually strives for perfection in everything it does so as to minimise the level of destruction that comes as a result of human failings.

Stellar analysis yourself there pal.

Yet the leader of said church claims to be infallible.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

You gotta hand it to the extreme pro-life side. They spout the biggest amount rubbish and misinformation, but they spout it so passionately that people believe them.

The pro-choice here needs to get itself organised, learn to stay patient and debate. Otherwise if this were to go to a referendum, I'd fear for them. Right now they have the numbers in the polls, but could they run a coherently organised campaign in the same vein that those on the pro-life are doing? Do they even have the funds and resources to compete?

I understand also that the pro-choice side has another problem; their message is far more complex.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭swampgas

Well for starters, they would not be getting any inheritance money. Also, if they were 21 or over and still living at home, they'd be sent to the nearest bedsit to sort their lives out for themselves seeing as they think they know better than the education and sacrafices I've made for them. A bit of tough love is in their best interests.

Seriously, are you still living in 1950s Ireland? What about respecting your grown children as adults in their own right, with their own consciences? Or are you arrogant enough to insist that you know better than them right through their adult lives simply because you are their parent?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Oh Methody, you card! Please, don't ever stop typing your opinions here. They're mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

It's the living (i.e. your daughter), not the unborn, who my thoughts are with at this time.
    So what's up with your obsession with the unborn if they aren't in your thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Jernal wrote: »
    You gotta hand it to the extreme pro-life side. They spout the biggest amount rubbish and misinformation, but they spout it so passionately that people believe them.

The pro-choice here needs to get itself organised, learn to stay patient and debate. Otherwise if this were to go to a referendum, I'd fear for them. Right now they have the numbers in the polls, but could they run a coherently organised campaign in the same vein that those on the pro-life are doing? Do they even have the funds and resources to compete?

I understand also that the pro-choice side has another problem; their message is far more complex.

It's pretty easy to get thousands to Dublin when most of them qualify for free bus travel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Since when do you have an opinion on who the Pope should and shouldn't bless?

The Pope blesses 1,000s of sinners every day. What do you care? You don't believe in any of that "bat **** crazy" stuff anyway...

Seeing as our government sees fit to hold meetings with these people, I'm forced to take an interest.

• Advertisement

American steward for the anti-abortion event today had his flight paid for

Free international travel? I'm beginning to think I'm on the wrong side of the fence :P

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

RTÉ website has "an estimated several thousand" (whatever that means) attending the "vigil for life" today. Anyone got any better figures, or numbers for the counter-protest?

Maybe I'm wrong as I just walked past it a little after 5pm but I'd have guessed about 5,000-6,000 at the vigil for life. I'm shocked to see estimated figures more than 4 times that amount. As far as I could see apart from a hundred or so stragglers they were all on Merrion Square South and I doubt 20k+ people were all on that one street. What time did it start at? Perhaps the main crowd was gone when I was there? The counter demo was really small though, about 200-300.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

If the Department of Agriculture can question people at Dublin airport, I don't see why the Department of Health can't. Women travelling to England need help, not abortions.
    Irish people voted in favour of allowing people to get abortions abroad. So, t'is none of their business to be perfectly blunt. Ireland also voted in favour of legislating for the X case, decades ago.

The catholic church is made up of people who succumb to human failings. Has done. Always will do. The point is though that the church continually strives for perfection in everything it does so as to minimise the level of destruction that comes as a result of human failings.

Stellar analysis yourself there pal.

It's part of perfection to cover up the faults of the organisation? That's not simply human failings; it's decades of sexual abuse that was allowed to continue due to the 'moral authority' not wanting to damage their rep. That's not striving for perfection............

So if they were gay or had an abortion, they would basically become your bastard child........ You are definitely the true moral compass of the forum. :rolleyes:

Methody is gone for now :(

Maybe if we say some hail marys he/she will come back and answer aaaaall of the questions raised.

Get kneelin' folks.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,066 ✭✭✭Silvio.Dante

Wonderful turnout tonight at the Unite For Life vigil. 25-30,000...:)

What percentage were free travel pass holders? I ask because the last pro-life vigil was heavily skewed towards the extremely elderly.

Edit: oh, they did that thing of getting the attendees to hold the placards over their faces except for the front row of young people. How predictable.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

iguana wrote: »
    Maybe I'm wrong as I just walked past it a little after 5pm but I'd have guessed about 5,000-6,000 at the vigil for life. I'm shocked to see estimated figures more than 4 times that amount. As far as I could see apart from a hundred or so stragglers they were all on Merrion Square South and I doubt 20k+ people were all on that one street. What time did it start at? Perhaps the main crowd was gone when I was there? The counter demo was really small though, about 200-300.

That's cos many pro choice activists were taking part in the planning day for the Abortion Rights Campaign.

http://www.irishchoicenetwork.com/1/post/2013/01/abortion-rights-campaign-established-in-dublin-today.html

Some went from the days work to the counter demo, but tbh there is better work that needs to be done then counter protests if we are to repeal the 8th.

By the way http://geoffsshorts.blogspot.ie/ is looking for a pro life atheist to do a guest spot on this blog, if anyone is interested please get in touch with him.

must be nice to have such funding you can ship people to the event, even from so far away as the US

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

And yet limited access to abortion is still going to happen. 20 years too late, but better late than never.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 291 ✭✭Sixtus

The demo filled up one side of Merrion Sq, including a massive platform and video screens. If you think 30,000 people can fit in one street on Merrion Sq, I'm petitioning to rename the park "the Tardis".

• Advertisement

B0jangles wrote: »
    What percentage were free travel pass holders? I ask because the last pro-life vigil was heavily skewed towards the extremely elderly.

Edit: oh, they did that thing of getting the attendees to hold the placards over their faces except for the front row of young people. How predictable.

Wide range of ages and vast majority were women...

koth wrote: »
    must be nice to have such funding you can ship people to the event, even from so far away as the US

American Life dollars are more then welcome to help fund the campaign against intentionally killing unborn babies...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Does the 25-30,000 include animals other than humans?

Where are those interesting shots of the last one, which showed a preponderance of extremely elderly people desperately concealed behind the placards of the 50 or so sub-30 year olds in attendance?

Edit: Actually, where are the large crowd photos of this evening's event showing that the attendees were not very old people? Ancient ladies are not really helpful since it is a widely recognised phenomenon that the catholic church in this country is largely supported by old ladies.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

If the "life" of the unborn is so important why don't the people who were marching today picket fertility clinics. I would really appreciate an answer from the pro life voices here becasue its something I never can understand. We have "lives" being taken here in Ireland and nothing happens, no one even mentions it and yet when its the actions of a woman regarding her own body in another country suddenly thats a bad thing. It doesn't make any sense to me.

[Citation needed.]
    How many celibate men in frocks turned up to lobby against women's health?

Does the 25-30,000 include animals other than humans?

No, the 200 proborts at the back of the stage were not included...;)

No, the 200 proborts at the back of the stage were not included...;)
    What's a probort? Is it a robot that does abortions?

WTF was Mickey Harte doing there? First supporting Sean Quinn, now advocating against women. For shame.

American Life dollars are more then welcome to help fund the campaign against intentionally killing unborn babies...:)

even when it's medically necessary to protect the health of the woman. Always interesting to see an absolutist stance and the irony that can a result of such a position.

• Advertisement

lazygal wrote: »
    What's a probort? Is it a robot that does abortions?

WTF was Mickey Harte doing there? First supporting Sean Quinn, now advocating against women. For shame.

Mickey was terrific tonight. He stole the show with his dignity and quiet determination. Legend of a man...:)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement