Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abortion/ *Note* Thread Closing Shortly! ! !

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 4,066 ✭✭✭Silvio.Dante

Morag wrote: »
    Silvio.Dante are you familiar with the doctrine of original sin or not?

I'm no Theologian Morag. In fact I'm barely Catholic at this stage :D

Anyway, back to the crimes you reckon these unborn babies have committed to justify their slaughter..?

_rebelkid wrote: »
    So the majority of the "Irish Pro Life Movement" is actually just minions for American Business agendas?

If there is such "fantastic support for pro life in Ireland", why didn't they pay for it? Get them to "donate" a fiver, then see the numbers drop. The Vigil was a fraud. Free buses will get people to do anything.

There was a collection at the end of the event...:)

Mickey Harte :(

Rally whore!!!

Nice...

kylith wrote: »
    How should she be treated psychiatrically? Should she be insitutionalised so that she can be kept an eye on? Should she be prohibited access to things like coat hangers and knitting needles lest she try to perform an abortion herself? Should she be strapped to a bed lest she try take her own life?

What about the trauma of childbirth? The agonising decision whether to keep her rapists child or put it up for adoption? What about the post natal depression? Why should a child be forced to go through all that? Why don't you care about children who have already been born?

Can you please answer a question for me? I have heard that in Irelandthe treatment for ectopic pregnancy is to remove the entire fallopian tube, whereas in other countries an incision is made into the tube and just the foetus removed, with removal of the entire tube only if that is impossible.

Is that true, and do you know what, if any, implications that could have for a woman's future fertility?

Committing her should always be an option of her Psychiatrist think its suitable...

iguana wrote: »
    Considering that many of yesterday's vigil attendees milled about taking up whole footpaths ensuring that everyone wanting to get past them needed to walk out on the road, in the heavy traffic, I'd say no. I had to make quite the ruckus to get them to make space for me to be able to keep my 10 week old son on the footpath.

it must have been so traumatic for you...:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Committing her should always be an option of her Psychiatrist think its suitable...

Just so I'm entirely clear on this; you believe that a woman who is pregnant and doesn't wish to be, to the point of self harm, should be locked up in an institution?

swampgas wrote: »

Of course the intention is to save the mother,

Exactly...

kylith wrote: »
    Just so I'm entirely clear on this; you believe that a woman who is pregnant and doesn't wish to be, to the point of self harm, should be locked up in an institution?

You say this is if it doesn't happen already to people, men and women, pregnant and not pregnant...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭swampgas

You say this is if it doesn't happen already to people, men and women, pregnant and not pregnant...

That sounds like a yes to me. So you think there are some circumstances where a woman should be confined if she's pregnant and considering an abortion?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭swampgas

Exactly...

Well done evading the issue. Or was avoiding the issue an unavoidable accidental consequence of your intention to try to score points on an internet forum?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Mickey Harte........... first the Quinns, and now this.
    Dude's gonna be full of fleas from all that lying down.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

it must have been so traumatic for you...:(

Keep it up sunshine, all you are doing is proving just how little of an actual shít pro-lifers give about babies. Taking up so much of a footpath that babies in prams are expected to walk in heavy traffic is endangering the life of babies. Babies, who unlike foetuses, are actual, genuine babies.

The irony of walking past a crowd of people carrying signs depicting a mother and baby and the words 'Love them both' while struggling to keep my own baby safe due to their self-entitlement would have been delicious if I hadn't actually been struggling to keep my baby safe.

swampgas wrote: »
    That sounds like a yes to me. So you think there are some circumstances where a woman should be confined if she's pregnant and considering an abortion?

Clearly I am saying yes, in the circumstances you have outlined. No brainer actually...

mikom wrote: »
    Mickey Harte........... first the Quinns, and now this.
    Dude's gonna be full of fleas from all that lying down.

How 'Liberal' of you...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Clearly I am saying yes, in the circumstances you have outlined. No brainer actually...
    Why do you think a 14 year old child who's been raped should be detained against her will and endure forced pregnancy and birth? Do you think the right to travel should be repealed?

iguana wrote: »
    Keep it up sunshine, all you are doing is proving just how little of an actual shít pro-lifers give about babies. Taking up so much of a footpath that babies in prams are expected to walk in heavy traffic is endangering the life of babies. Babies, who unlike foetuses, are actual, genuine babies.

The irony of walking past a crowd of people carrying signs depicting a mother and baby and the words 'Love them both' while struggling to keep my own baby safe due to their self-entitlement would have been delicious if I hadn't actually been struggling to keep my baby safe.

I do hope no permanent scars remain for you. :rolleyes:

I do hope you followed the...:

lazygal wrote: »
    Why do you think a 14 year old child who's been raped should be detained against her will and endure forced pregnancy and birth? Do you think the right to travel should be repealed?

If any citizen is in danger of self harm then committal should always be an option available to the Psychiatric services...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Should we put them somewhere they can work to off-set the cost of their care? An institution that provides a laundry service perhaps? Would that also be a no-brainer?

If any citizen is in danger of self harm then committal should always be an option available to the Psychiatric services...
    So you support detaining pregnant children who've been raped in case they want to travel for an abortion. Do you think women not at risk of self harm should be detained and forced to remain pregnant?

• Advertisement

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Should we put them somewhere they can work to off-set the cost of their care? An institution that provides a laundry service perhaps? Would that also be a no-brainer?

Absolutely not.

I for one, am hapy for my taxes to contribute to Public Psychiatric care. Are you..?

• Moderators Posts: 51,798 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

abortion is not self-harm, it's a medical procedure. and I really doubt any medical professional would ever consider imprisoning pregnant women because they are considering having an abortion. You really want to punish women that have medical reasons for an abortion, such as ectopic pregnancies?

If you can read this, you're too close!

So you support detaining pregnant children who've been raped in case they want to travel for an abortion. Do you think women not at risk of self harm should be detained and forced to remain pregnant?

Where have I said that..?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Absolutely not.

I for one, am hapy for my taxes to contribute to Public Psychiatric care. Are you..?

Not for incarcerating pregnant women for no other reason that they do not wish to be pregnant - no.

Absolutely not.

I'm happy for my taxes to pay for normal medical procedures like abortion and termination, whatever spin you put on it, so no woman or child is forced to remain pregnant against their will. But then I care about the born first and foremost, like most normal people.

koth wrote: »
    abortion is not self-harm, it's a medical procedure. and I really doubt any medical professional would ever consider imprisoning pregnant women because they are considering having an abortion. You really want to punish women that have medical reasons for an abortion, such as ectopic pregnancies?

Firstly committal should always be, and is, an option for someone who is in danger of self harm.

Secondly, termination of pregnancy is practiced in Irish hospitals today when an ectopic situation arises. Didn't the Daly/Bacik Axis tell you this..?

Where have I said that..?
    You believe in detaining raped children who are pregnant and suicidal instead of offering abortion. Do you believe otherwise?

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Not for incarcerating pregnant women for no other reason that they do not wish to be pregnant - no.

I'll leave that to the Psychiatric profession to decide...

You believe in detaining raped children who are pregnant and suicidal instead of offering abortion. Do you believe otherwise?

Committal isn't always exercised AFAIK but of couse it should be available if the Psychiatrist deems it to be necessary...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 51,798 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Firstly committal should always be, and is, an option for someone who is in danger of self harm.
    agreed. so committing someone in danger of self-harm is a red-herring as an abortion is not classified as self-harm.
    Secondly, termination of pregnancy is practiced in Irish hospitals today when an ectopic situation arises. Didn't the Daly/Bacik Axis tell you this..?

yes, you have already stated those abortions occur. and you've yet again deflected from the consequences of your idea of imprisoning those women for considering (not having mind you) an abortion.

If you can read this, you're too close!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement