Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abortion/ *Note* Thread Closing Shortly! ! !

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

Flier wrote: »
    I think we should leave Silvio to his/her own ramblings as he/she is hardly engaging in debate at all, so in my option is a waste of digital print.

Yep, that's obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Committal should be one of the treatment options available depending on how the pregnant victim is presenting, psychiatrically...

My god. What a terrifying version of the world you would condemn every woman in Ireland to. You're disingenuous to declare yourself pro-life - you have no respect for human life whatsoever, and your fixation is only with birth. You would have us crated away like pregnant heifers for nine months to keep control of our bodies. Atwood couldn't have devised worse.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,066 ✭✭✭Silvio.Dante

My god. What a terrifying version of the world you would condemn every woman in Ireland to.

This is where it gets silly now...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

My god. What a terrifying version of the world you would condemn every woman in Ireland to. You're disingenuous to declare yourself pro-life - you have no respect for human life whatsoever, and your fixation is only with birth. You would have us crated away like pregnant heifers for nine months to keep control of our bodies. Atwood couldn't have devised worse.

Silvio is a prime example of exactly the thinking that led to the Laundries and Industrial schools - birth at all costs.

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Silvio is a prime example of exactly the thinking that led to the Laundries and Industrial schools - birth at all costs.

Ridiculous nonsense...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭_rebelkid

I don't see how.

If anything, it got insane when you expressed your preference of institutionalization over abortion. You sir/madam, are insane.

Ridiculous nonsense...

No it isn't.

That is exactly the position of people like you and the views you espouse are exactly those that led to pregnant women being incarcerated against their will and forced to carry pregnancies to term - once those children were born they became just another burden and left uncared for to be abused and exploited. You just want to pretty it up by throwing about the words 'psychiatric care' but the intention is the same. Force women to continue with unwanted pregnancies and damn the consequences.

_rebelkid wrote: »
    I don't see how.

If anything, it got insane when you expressed your preference of institutionalization over abortion. You sir/madam, are insane.

sound...:rolleyes:

No it isn't.

That is exactly the position of people like you and the views you espouse are exactly those that led to pregnant women being incarcerated against their will and forced to carry pregnancies to term - once those children were born they became just another burden and left uncared for to be abused and exploited. You just want to pretty it up by throwing about the words 'psychiatric care' but the intention is the same. Force women to continue with unwanted pregnancies and damn the consequences.

What are you on about, seriously..?

sound...:rolleyes:

Maybe we should give you "psychiatric care"... if we want to be humane about it...

• Advertisement

The probort brigade are getting silly now in desperation it would seem.

Still not one comment in 13 pages referring to the slightest concern for unborn babies executed in their mothers' wombs...:(

Now that really is sad...

Maybe we should give you "psychiatric care"... if we want to be humane about it...

And right on cue, here come the personal insults.

so predictable...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Still not one comment in 13 pages referring to the slightest concern for unborn babies executed in their mothers' wombs...:(

And no concern expressed from you for the lives of born children who have been raped and made pregnant. Are you some sort of foetus worshipper? Do you do anything practical for pregnant women and children? The money spent on waving expensive signs and renting large screens could be better spent on born children in need, surely?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,419 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Why can't you love them both..?

Because this debate, and the world we live in, isn't some fairytale placard slogan.

And right on cue, here come the personal insults.

so predictable...

Not an insult.
    If the medical care you propose is good enough for distressed mothers who have miscarried or have been raped, then it's good enough for anyone.

Don't try and take any self appointed moral high ground. It's the same old cop out every pro life troll uses. Separate yourself from those lunatics.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Dress it up in more acceptable language, but that's your stated preference. If I was pregnant - regardless of circumstances - and absolutely desperate not to be, you would prefer I was incarcerated for the term of it so that my body and what I did with it can be kept in check.

That's a terrifying attitude to have towards women and their bodies, and the fact that you can't even see why only makes double of it.

What are you on about, seriously..?

You want to ensure no abortion in Ireland.

The consequence of this is forcing women who do not have the financial resources to travel to continue with an unwanted pregnancy.

Should this unwanted pregnancy cause the women - or girl - to seriously consider taking her own life you would see them incarcerated in an institution.

The next logical step - if you are really concerned that no Irish fetus is aborted - it to campaign to prevent pregnant women travelling abroad to get a termination.

But how do you know if a woman is pregnant exactly? She may not be 'showing' and one could slip through the fetus protection net - better make all women of childbearing age have a pregnancy test prior to travel - just in case.

The incarnation of pregnant women against their will is one of the greatest crimes against it's own citizens this country has committed - you and your ilk would see us back there if you had your way.

I remember when you lot got your way in the 80s and I am damned if I will let you drag us back there.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

_rebelkid - tone down the rhetoric please.

robindch wrote: »
    _rebelkid - tone down the rhetoric please.

Will do, got a bit angry there...

lazygal wrote: »
    And no concern expressed from you for the lives of born children who have been raped and made pregnant. Are you some sort of foetus worshipper? Do you do anything practical for pregnant women and children? The money spent on waving expensive signs and renting large screens could be better spent on born children in need, surely?

Even after being biven the big hint, you can find no place in your heart to openly show any concern for unborn babies massacred in abortion cilnics around the world...:(

• Advertisement

Not an insult.
    If the medical care you propose is good enough for distressed mothers who have miscarried or have been raped, then it's good enough for anyone.

Don't try and take any self appointed moral high ground. It's the same old cop out every pro life troll uses. Separate yourself from those lunatics.

Keep the tone of the personal invective to a minimum and I won't have to highlight it...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭swampgas

Even after being biven the big hint, you can find no place in your heart to openly show any concern for unborn babies massacred in abortion cilnics around the world...:(

There's a big difference between a foetus, especially in the first 12 weeks, and a baby. I guess you refuse to accept that.

Tell me, what is your explanation for the fact that many other European countries have relatively liberal abortion laws? Countries like Spain and Italy for example, that are Catholic countries? Are they so different from us?

Says the person who would have been happy for the 15 year old at the heart of the X-Case and others just like her to be incarcerated in a Psychiatric Unit against her will and the will of her parents.

You are in no position to lecture anyone about showing concern.

Dress it up in more acceptable language, but that's your stated preference. If I was pregnant - regardless of circumstances - and absolutely desperate not to be, you would prefer I was incarcerated for the term of it

Where have I said anything remotely like that..?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

It may be a problem with tone not being transmitted across the internet but I am genuinely puzzled by the flippancy in so many of your responses Silvio.

I think both sides in the abortion debate tend to feel very strongly about their own point of view, and that's fine; strongly-held opinions can produce serious conversations.

Yours are very odd - you express some (in my opinion) very extreme views but in an apparently "humorous" manner, it feels to me like you don't really care about the issue at all, you are just looking for a response.

What's that all about?

You want to ensure no abortion in Ireland.

The consequence of this is forcing women who do not have the financial resources to travel to continue with an unwanted pregnancy.

Should this unwanted pregnancy cause the women - or girl - to seriously consider taking her own life you would see them incarcerated in an institution.

The next logical step - if you are really concerned that no Irish fetus is aborted - it to campaign to prevent pregnant women travelling abroad to get a termination.

But how do you know if a woman is pregnant exactly? She may not be 'showing' and one could slip through the fetus protection net - better make all women of childbearing age have a pregnancy test prior to travel - just in case.

The incarnation of pregnant women against their will is one of the greatest crimes against it's own citizens this country has committed - you and your ilk would see us back there if you had your way.

I remember when you lot got your way in the 80s and I am damned if I will let you drag us back there.

Now you're just rambling I'm afraid.

The Pro Life campaign is very focussed on opposing legislating for X.
    We must choose our battles wisely and are doing so.

Anyone advocating for restricting rights to travel is peeing in the wind.

Are you suggesting the power to commit someone whom the Psychiatrists deem a grave harm to themselves should be removed? For real..?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

I'd be more worried about how the baby got back into it's mother's womb!

swampgas wrote: »
    There's a big difference between a foetus, especially in the first 12 weeks, and a baby. I guess you refuse to accept that.

Tell me, what is your explanation for the fact that many other European countries have relatively liberal abortion laws? Countries like Spain and Italy for example, that are Catholic countries? Are they so different from us?

I despair for unborn babies intentionally killed in any country..:(

B0jangles wrote: »
    It may be a problem with tone not being transmitted across the internet but I am genuinely puzzled by the flippancy in so many of your responses Silvio.

I think both sides in the abortion debate tend to feel very strongly about their own point of view, and that's fine; strongly-held opinions can produce serious conversations.

Yours are very odd - you express some (in my opinion) very extreme views but in an apparently "humorous" manner, it feels to me like you don't really care about the issue at all, you are just looking for a response.

What's that all about?
    I humbly disagree...:)

• Advertisement

I'm moving to The Voice thread now homies...:)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement