Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abortion/ *Note* Thread Closing Shortly! ! !

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Them toys are getting a fair old battering...;)

Terminations should only ovvur when the life of the mother is in danger, in my view.

there is grave danger of floodgates being opened if we legislate in a way you describe. Not on my watch...

emmmm....how can the "floodgates" open, when you're talking about pregnancies that are unviable....?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Terminations should only ovvur when the life of the mother is in danger, in my view.

there is grave danger of floodgates being opened if we legislate in a way you describe. Not on my watch...

So sacrificing the mother's mental health is fine as long as the baby is fine..... How isn't this logic warped? :confused:
    No life saving medication should be denied any pregnant woman, to clarify...:)

A decline in mental health is as debilitating as any terminal illness. It can result in death if it remains untreated and drugs are necessary on many occasions .....

• Site Banned Posts: 4,066 ✭✭✭Silvio.Dante

Nigh on 20 pages now and still not one little ost expressing any concern or regret for babies massacred in the womb. Very cold and insensitive place, this...:(

Nodin wrote: »
    emmmm....how can the "floodgates" open, when you're talking about pregnancies that are unviable....?

You sanction abortion in one circumstance and you have the thin end of the wedge in the door and let the blood letting commence...

Corkfeen wrote: »
    So sacrificing the mother's mental health is fine as long as the baby is fine..... How isn't this logic warped? :confused:

A decline in mental health is as debilitating as any terminal illness. It can result in death if it remains untreated and drugs are necessary on many occasions .....

Your alternative is to kill her innocent unborn baby. Yes, kill. And you call me warped. Irony much..?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭swampgas

The "floodgates" opened a long time ago - ever since abortion became accessible to Irish women in the UK. However you would block access to medical terminations (say for women with fatal foetal abnormalities) because of some spurious argument about floodgates. Pretty weak argument, to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭_rebelkid

Nigh on 20 pages now and still not one little ost expressing any concern or regret for babies massacred in the womb. Very cold and insensitive place, this...:(

They're not being massacred. They are not babies. Superlatives and emotional nouns don't form an argument.

This is not cold or insensitive, but your view is clouded with foetus fetish.

• Moderators Posts: 51,798 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Show me the direct quote...

I already showed you it in the last hour, but since you seem to unaware of what you're posting, here it is again:
    swampgas wrote: »
    That sounds like a yes to me. So you think there are some circumstances where a woman should be confined if she's pregnant and considering an abortion?

Clearly I am saying yes, in the circumstances you have outlined. No brainer actually...

If you can read this, you're too close!

You sanction abortion in one circumstance and you have the thin end of the wedge in the door and let the blood letting commence...

That bit of rhetoric doesn't really answer the point though. The big fear is abortion on demand and the termination of viable pregnancies. I don't understand the objection to early termination of non/unviable pregnancies on either moral grounds or with regard to what you referred to above.

I might also point out that we are going to have abortion in certain circumstances legislated for in the very near future.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭Kiwi in IE

Killing her baby is totally unjustified in such circumstnces. No dodging here buddy.

She should however have access to every help offered by the Mental Health services...

Actually I beg to differ. Rebel kid has just provided a definition of a baby and yes, I agree with you that killing her baby would be unjustified under such circumstances. However aborting her foetus would not!

• Advertisement

koth wrote: »
    I already showed you it in the last hour, but since you seem to unaware of what you're posting, here it is again:

Post Number #4355
    Post Number #4365
    Post Number #4369
    Post Number #4385

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

Straight out of the Choice Ireland propaganda office...:rolleyes:

Gods your funny, choice ireland office, they wish they had an office.

Morag wrote: »

If only the Americans would so kindly donate funds for an office... and maybe a fleet of buses... and giant plasmas... and flight costs... sound familiar? :P

The "floodgates" opened a long time ago - ever since abortion became accessible to Irish women in the UK. However you would block access to medical terminations (say for women with fatal foetal abnormalities) because of some spurious argument about floodgates. Pretty weak argument, to be honest.

It works for me and quite frankly I'm not keen on taking the risk. Neither is Enda as it turns out...:)

_rebelkid wrote: »
    They're not being massacred. They are not babies. Superlatives and emotional nouns don't form an argument.

This is not cold or insensitive, but your view is clouded with foetus fetish.

You make my point quite brlliantly...:(

It works for me and quite frankly I'm not keen on taking the risk. Neither is Enda as it turns out...:)

By that rational there should not be any cars on the road cos people speed and drink drive and kill people.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭Kiwi in IE

Ah this one has to be trolling. No thinking person would portray their cause in such a bad light!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Not a pleasant "ost" -- do try to engage Silvio with your fellow-posters rather than just posting random sentences that contribute nothing to anybody.

koth wrote: »

Our discussion was concentrated on women who were in danger of self harm and it was clearly in that context that commital should be a viable option for medical professionals. Happy to clarify, yet again...:)

You make my point quite brlliantly...:(

Baffling doesn't come within a light year.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Killing her baby is totally unjustified in such circumstnces. No dodging here buddy.

She should however have access to every help offered by the Mental Health services...

That is a dodge and you know it.

If she cannot take her medication because it might damage the fetus the she has to choose between her own health and that of the fetus.

Which should be paramount in your opinion?

Nodin wrote: »
    That bit of rhetoric doesn't really answer the point though. The big fear is abortion on demand and the termination of viable pregnancies. I don't understand the objection to early termination of non/unviable pregnancies on either moral grounds or with regard to what you referred to above.

I might also point out that we are going to have abortion in certain circumstances legislated for in the very near future.

The more restrictions in place the better for future Irish babies in the womb...

Sorry, I meant phonebox...;)

infairness they did manage 170 stalwarts last night with such eloquent posters as "My C*nt, My Choice".
    Though the asterix was replace witha u..:(

By that rational there should not be any cars on the road cos people speed and drink drive and kill people.

Do expand please..?

The more restrictions in place the better for future Irish babies in the womb...

More vague waffle and bullshit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭swampgas

It works for me and quite frankly I'm not keen on taking the risk.

Unfortunately it will be Irish women, not you, who will be forced to take risks - risks to their physical and mental health, and risks to their life.

It's a pity you are so happy to inflict those risks when you can't be arsed to give a decent justification for your position. Frankly, I think your attitude to women is pretty appalling.

B0jangles wrote: »
    That is a dodge and you know it.

If she cannot take her medication because it might damage the fetus the she has to choose between her own health and that of the fetus.

Which should be paramount in your opinion?

no meds should be withdrawn if that results in her life being in danger...

Frankly, I think your attitude to women is pretty appalling.

Fair enough. I'm not here to convert you...:)

infairness they did manage 170 stalwarts last night with such eloquent posters as "My C*nt, My Choice".
    Though the asterix was replace witha u..:(

Choice Ireland didn't organize the counter protest.

Those that did refused to censor the placards.

Unlike the slick American funded media machine which was shuffling people around to make those they brought up on buses crowd look bigger and younger.

1222_584803131545504_709084198_n.jpg

http://ww.wsm.ie/c/turnout-vigil-life-dublin-jan2013

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

no meds should be withdrawn if that results in her life being in danger...

But this endangers the life of the mother and could result in suicide or obliterating the mental health of the mother for the remainder of her life. You're all for protecting the foetus but have a complete disregard for the life of the mother. Some people seem to be completely ignorant to the importance of the mental(equally as important as physical) health of the living........

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement