Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abortion/ *Note* Thread Closing Shortly! ! !

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 4,066 ✭✭✭Silvio.Dante

Corrie's on, Then Eastenders, then Corrie, then an Ab Attack, walk the dog, watch Lincoln.

So don't miss me too much...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭_rebelkid

So you're happy for kids who are not aborted but have no feelings for babies killied because of their Downs Syndrome.

Wow...:(

Silvio, I made a point, not a remark. I would wish that you wold offer the same courtesy...

_rebelkid wrote: »
    Silvio, I made a point, not a remark. I would wish that you wold offer the same courtesy...

But you're ok with Downs Syndrome babies being aborted..?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I was..?

You were. It would seem you don't even care about the aborted foetus, as long as it's being aborted in another country. Dude, that's messed up.

But you're ok with Downs Syndrome babies being aborted..?

They are not babies. By definition, a baby is a young or newly born human infant.
    Nothing has been born yet, so it's the destruction of cells. And anyway, they can't detect dowons until well into the pregnancy, so it won't be aborted, because legislation would not stretch that far into pregnancy.

No one here is a murder. They are branded murderers by narrow minded people like yo, BT they are not murderers.

If someone wants to have an abortion, they have the right to do so. Adding emotive nouns and trying to invoke human guilt does nothing fr the pitiful argument you present.

• Advertisement

Sarky wrote: »
    You were. It would seem you don't even care about the aborted foetus, as long as it's being aborted in another country. Dude, that's messed up.

Exactly.

Silvio, are you OK with Down Syndrome babies being aborted in England, because as long as the abortion happens somewhere else it's OK, isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Silvio - I don't know if you have seen this
    A HARVARD professor is looking for an "adventurous" woman to give birth to a baby Neanderthal.
    It may sound like the plot of another Jurassic Park sequel, but the request is actually part of Professor George Church’s real-life plan to bring our long-extinct relative back to life.

Professor Church of Harvard Medical School is one of the world’s leading geneticists and believes his Neanderthal bone-sample analysis is now complete enough to reconstruct their DNA.
    http://www.independent.ie/world-news/palaeolithic-park-harvard-professor-seeks-adventurous-woman-to-give-birth-to-neanderthal-3361191.html

This raises an ethical question and I wondering what your take on it is.

Would a Neanderthal fetus be 'human'? Well - not in the vernacular sense we mean 'human' as it would not be the same species as we are. It may be a hybrid but would absolutely not be 'pure' homo sapiens.

Now, should something go wrong would you be ok with an abortion of a Neanderthal fetus?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Flier

Dismayed to see Silvio still spouting his rubbish here. It really is not worth arguing with him. He has very little concept of the realities of pregnancy, medical interventions and therapy, and indeed the nature of our constitution and the law. If he is too lazy / stupid / blinkered to inform himself properly, I don't see why we should waste our time trying to do it.

Flier wrote: »
    Dismayed to see Silvio still spouting his rubbish here. It really is not worth arguing with him. He has very little concept of the realities of pregnancy, medical interventions and therapy, and indeed the nature of our constitution and the law. If he is too lazy / stupid / blinkered to inform himself properly, I don't see why we should waste our time trying to do it.

Because people might be reading this who are trying to work out where they stand.

Hopefully such people will read Silvio's posts and it will help them see through this nonsense that YD and their ilk are moral crusaders out to save Ireland and it's unborn as they like to portray themselves and see them as what they really are:
    The voice piece of the worst kind of US right wing fundamentalist intent on subverting the very basis upon which our battered little republic is based.

They are callous about women's lives and extravagant in their dismissal of them.

These are our mothers, daughters, sisters, aunts, nieces etc who are being rendered disposable so a potential person can be protected.

Each person must ask themselves - would I want my wife/daughter/mother/sister/aunt/cousin/niece to die so a fetus can live?

That is the crux of the issue and the decision we all must make.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Exactly.

Silvio, are you OK with Down Syndrome babies being aborted in England, because as long as the abortion happens somewhere else it's OK, isn't it?

In fairness, he didn't really say that. He did say that he's taking a break from battling the modern-day "holocaust" to watch Coronation Street.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,994 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Bannasidhe wrote: »

Now, should something go wrong would you be ok with an abortion of a Neanderthal fetus?

I don't think most pro-lifers would have any problems with eating Neanderthal meat tbh. The whole human DNA vs non-human DNA distinction is yet another one of those arbitrary yet absolutist distinctions that fervourists cling to.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

These discussions are live online and will be archived for years to come so it is not just the
    people taking part in the discussion or boards members who may read them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

In fairness, he didn't really say that. He did say that he's taking a break from battling the modern-day "holocaust" to watch Coronation Street.

In fairness if I could have just one holocaust, wiping out people who religiously watch Coronation Street would be in my top 5 to consider.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

robindch wrote: »
    :confused: Uh, no. I put in "anti-choicers" for a laugh since I'm tired of the disjunctive language games -- played by both sides -- the only aim of which is to insult the other lot, or insinuate that they're unreasonable against some reasonable idea.

If the entire debate were starting again, perhaps it would be worth agreeing on terminology that's less inflammatory -- perhaps expressed in terms of rights with phrases like "mothers-first", "foetus-first" and so on. At least those terms describe what people's beliefs are in terms that are comparable and non-insulting.Can't say I'm in especially in favour of banning non-national donations, unless it gets out of hand, but I am certainly in favour of political lobby groups and charities in general saying how much they're receiving, where they're receiving it from and what exactly they're doing with it -- for pretty much the same reasons that the political parties, lobby groups etc don't want this information made available.

In fairness as I mentioned in the feedback thread anti-choice is used a hell of a lot more than the alternatives on this thread, personally I think if one stoops to using the tactics of ones opponents it makes a mockery of any claims to intellectual superiority. Sorry for the delay only checked feedback there now and I was uncertain I should discuss this issue on thread.
    Stark wrote: »
    I don't think most pro-lifers would have any problems with eating Neanderthal meat tbh. The whole human DNA vs non-human DNA distinction is yet another one of those arbitrary yet absolutist distinctions that fervourists cling to.

Seriously :confused: thats a new one for me, because obviously in your extensive experience most pro-lifers don't have a problem eating the Hominidae at present then?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Okay, Silvio.Dante.

You have been offered every opportunity now to get your side of the debate across, which you have. Now your posts have become just random soundbytes, straw-men and references to YouTube clips, which isn't really good enough.

If you want to re-engage with some of the hypothetical questions you left unanswered earlier in the thread, by all means do so. Otherwise post something new, or nothing at all.

Your friendly forum moderator.

Sarky wrote: »
    You were.

Got a quote to back that up..?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Surely that counts as a useless post (i.e. spam)?

because legislation would not stretch that far into pregnancy.

No one here is a murder. They are branded murderers by narrow minded people like yo.

Would you be ok with there being no time limit on abortions of Downs Syndrome babies? If not, why not..?

I've never used the noun, murder, in this context by the way...

Silvio - I don't know if you have seen this

http://www.independent.ie/world-news/palaeolithic-park-harvard-professor-seeks-adventurous-woman-to-give-birth-to-neanderthal-3361191.html

This raises an ethical question and I wondering what your take on it is.

Would a Neanderthal fetus be 'human'? Well - not in the vernacular sense we mean 'human' as it would not be the same species as we are. It may be a hybrid but would absolutely not be 'pure' homo sapiens.

Do neanderthals taste good in a sesame seed bun..?

Would you be ok with there being no time limit on abortions of Downs Syndrome babies? If not, why not..?

I've never used the noun, murder, in this context by the way...

Personally, and I have said this before on this thread, abortion up to 26 weeks. But after that, it's up to medical professionals and mother exploring all possibilities.

You used "intentional killing", which is a synonym of "murder".

• Advertisement

That Kisrty one is some piece of work.,,:D

Morag wrote: »
    These discussions are live online and will be archived for years to come so it is not just the
    people taking part in the discussion or boards members who may read them.

Am I going to be famous..?

Morag wrote: »
    In fairness if I could have just one holocaust, wiping out people who religiously watch Coronation Street would be in my top 5 to consider.

Ah here, leave it out...

Do neanderthals taste good in a sesame seed bun..?

Care to answer the question put to you?

Or are you now trying to get banned so you can pretend the nasty atheists kicked you out because you showed them what for when in reality you are running scared.

Suicide by MOD.

Dades wrote: »
    Okay, Silvio.Dante.

You have been offered every opportunity now to get your side of the debate across, which you have. Now your posts have become just random soundbytes, straw-men and references to YouTube clips, which isn't really good enough.

If you want to re-engage with some of the hypothetical questions you left unanswered earlier in the thread, by all means do so. Otherwise post something new, or nothing at all.

Your friendly forum moderator.

A brief but chiling glimpse into a future under an Irish Liberalisa Utopia.

All of a sudden the Blueshirts don't seem so bad...

Personally, and I have said this before on this thread, abortion up to 26 weeks. But after that, it's up to medical professionals and mother exploring all possibilities.

You used "intentional killing", which is a synonym of "murder".

So you'd be ok with a 34 week abortion n theory..?

What about partial birth abortions..?

Of course they don't to you silly - you are, after all, lobbying for the introduction of a fascist regime.

• Moderators Posts: 51,798 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Or are you now trying to get banned so you can pretend the nasty atheists kicked you out because you showed them what for when in reality you are running scared.

Suicide by MOD.

looks like you're pretty close to the mark.

A brief but chiling glimpse into a future under an Irish Liberalisa Utopia.

If you can read this, you're too close!

Suicide by MOD.

If the innocent neanderthal baby being present in the womb direstly endangers the life of the woman then a termination would be justifiable while unintentionally resulting in the death of the neanderyhal.

I never thought I'd be typing this when I got up this morning...:D

Would you have the same disregard for the neanderthal baby dying as you seem t have for human babies..?

• Advertisement

Of course they don't to you silly - you are, after all, lobbying for the introduction of a fascist regime.

Sad isn't it when the belly of the Liberalista Beast is revealed and is more unattractive than the loper O'Duffy...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement