Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abortion/ *Note* Thread Closing Shortly! ! !

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭_rebelkid

Two gems from YD's and mine twitter fun.

When @Sarklor mentioned Sheila Hodger in reference to them saying Abortion never saves a womans life, they said:
    that poor woman died from sepsis u would know this if u had an actual clue about what ur talking about

She died from cancer after she was refused medication when she was pregnant. The hospital said that they could not perform an abortion because of "The Bishops Code", which banned it under the Catholic Church. If she'd had been allowed to have an abortion, she would have been able to take her medication and treatment and would be alive today. They thought we were talking about Savita Halapanavaar, which shows how much they were paying attention.

Next. When questioned about the turnout for the vigil, by user @Repzy, they said this about the Garda "Confirmation":
    if u read tweets you'll see it starts with 20000, 25000, then 30000 at end of the vigil which was final number

Now, I'm not one for verification regulations, but usually confirmations are done after the event, and the Gardai are not in the the business of confirming estimations. And also the fact that they have changed the number multiple of times, even on their own website. Not to mention the fact that it is mathematically and physically impossible to fit that many in.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Grammar and syntax isn't YD's strong point. That and providing truthful information.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

lazygal wrote: »
    Grammar and syntax isn't YD's strong point. That and providing truthful information.

Well, the fetus baby has the right to Life but once born the right to a decent education becomes a bit nebulous...

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Fortyniner

Now I've kept out of this up till now, but I can no longer contain myself.

In Cork the last couple of days I've seen the huge hoardings from YD or whichever bunch of fundies, having a go at Fine Gael. The financial commitment from that bunch, combined with the stream of childish screaming from the RCC and its agencies makes for an impressive noise.

The comparison with the last two US presidential campaigns is quite striking - a shameful amount of yelling from the religious right and the 'conservatives', backed up with extremes of expensive advertising.

In the western world, people want to see equality and fairness in the way individuals are treated, regardless of sex, colour, creed (or lack thereof), sexual orientation, physical and mental ability etc.. Those who do not move with the times are left behind and become increasingly irrelevant. It's called progress.

Democracy permits the people to decide on change. Voters are increasingly immune to massive PR exercises and bible-thumping threats. The money isn't working. It's wasted, shamefully so when there are other pressing needs - what could you do with the amount expended on the 'pro-life' campaign?

The Republican Party in the US has lost its way and will not get back into power unless it moves away from its traditional, rigid base.

So has the global Catholic Church. Like the tobacco industry, it now has to target poorly educated people in third-world countries to keep its share of the market.

I think women should be up in arms about the way they are insulted by the main Christian religions. Look at the laughable way the CoE in the UK is tying itself up in knots about women bishops. Look at the absolute misogyny of the RCC, where there's just no question of women becoming bishops - an elite of celibate men telling women what they can and cannot do with their bodies, from the confines of a tiny but wealthy foreign state.

So I say this to the RCC, YD, Iona Institute and all their rich friends: you've lost the abortion debate. It's over. The government WILL introduce legalised abortion. So shut the feck up and move on. You are becoming very irritating indeed.

And as for the thousands who turn out on the instructions of this lot: you're wasting your time. It's a lost cause. You are being used. Why don't you get together for another good cause, which we could all join in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

Well said 49er :cool:

• Advertisement

~OFF TOPIC~

I found Silvio!

He/She is over not answering question in Politics about Savita and abortion.

The hypotheticals keep rolling :)

~BACK ON TOPIC~

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

http://coloradoindependent.com/126808/in-malpractice-case-catholic-hospital-argues-fetuses-arent-people

In malpractice case, Catholic hospital argues fetuses aren’t people
    Lawsuit against Catholic Health Initiatives appealed to Colorado Supreme Court

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Morag wrote: »

While the case is tragic and disgusting, I have to say that the hospital's willingness to chuck its ethics in the bin as soon as someone sues them is the funniest thing I've seen in months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

Good grief. Is there a single pro life movement that doesn't talk out of both sides of their mouth? How they feel they can continue to claim any moral high ground is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I hope Silvio doesn't return to this thread, otherwise I'll have to trawl through 15 pages when I log back in tomorrow.

I think whoever runs the Youth Defence Twitter account is either drunk or had a stroke: https://twitter.com/YouthDefence/status/294226397247967232

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Fortyniner wrote: »
    n Cork the last couple of days I've seen the huge hoardings from YD or whichever bunch of fundies, having a go at Fine Gael.
    Whereabouts? I love a bit of good spirited litter disposal on the walk home...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,994 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Sarky wrote: »
    I think whoever runs the Youth Defence Twitter account is either drunk or had a stroke: https://twitter.com/YouthDefence/status/294226397247967232
    @Sarklor @repzy drunk on life

Must be, they forgot to use the capslock for LIFE.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Sycopat

Stark wrote: »
    Must be, they forgot to use the capslock for LIFE.

I find the rather unnecessary butchering of the word gardaí pretty annoying. If they wanted to anglicise it they could have just used 'guards' llike.

And I'm ****e at irish!

Sarky wrote: »

It's extremely hilarious. We think Niamh Nic Mathúna has had a stroke, or old age has caught up :)

New Theory!

It might be Dána tweeting. Would explain a lot...

• Site Banned Posts: 4,066 ✭✭✭Silvio.Dante

I hope Silvio doesn't return to this thread, otherwise I'll have to trawl through 15 pages when I log back in tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Oh good, you're back. You went and got yourself banned just about when it seemed that you weren't able to answer the tough questions being put to you.

I'm sure he'll answer all the questions he'd been dodging now that he's back.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Well if it said 20,000, then 25,000 then 30,000 on Twitter then it must have been 30,000. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,743 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Lori Stodghill was 31-years old, seven-months pregnant with twin boys and feeling sick when she arrived at St. Thomas More hospital in Cañon City on New Year’s Day 2006. She was vomiting and short of breath and she passed out as she was being wheeled into an examination room. Medical staff tried to resuscitate her but, as became clear only later, a main artery feeding her lungs was clogged and the clog led to a massive heart attack. Stodghill’s obstetrician, Dr. Pelham Staples, who also happened to be the obstetrician on call for emergencies that night, never answered a page. His patient died at the hospital less than an hour after she arrived and her twins died in her womb.

In the aftermath of the tragedy, Stodghill’s husband Jeremy, a prison guard, filed a wrongful-death lawsuit on behalf of himself and the couple’s then-two-year-old daughter Elizabeth. Staples should have made it to the hospital, his lawyers argued, or at least instructed the frantic emergency room staff to perform a caesarian-section. The procedure likely would not have saved the mother, a testifying expert said, but it may have saved the twins.

But when it came to mounting a defense in the Stodghill case, Catholic Health’s lawyers effectively turned the Church directives on their head. Catholic organizations have for decades fought to change federal and state laws that fail to protect “unborn persons,” and Catholic Health’s lawyers in this case had the chance to set precedent bolstering anti-abortion legal arguments. Instead, they are arguing state law protects doctors from liability concerning unborn fetuses on grounds that those fetuses are not persons with legal rights.

"THOSE FOETUSES HAVE HUMAN RIGHTS!"
    "We're going to sue you for malpractice in their deaths"
    "You didn't let us finish... THOSE FOETUSES HAVE HUMAN RIGHTS EXCEPT IF IT MIGHT COST US MONEY!"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Penn wrote: »

"THOSE FOETUSES HAVE HUMAN RIGHTS!"
    "We're going to sue you for malpractice in their deaths"
    "You didn't let us finish... THOSE FOETUSES HAVE HUMAN RIGHTS EXCEPT IF IT MIGHT COST US MONEY!"

Mental reservations?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

lazygal wrote: »
    Mental reservations?

Financial reservations? :p

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

@Silvio.Dante - careful now you're back. The same soapboxing and question-dodging as before will result in another, longer holiday.

So Morag...

Would you support a woman's right to an abortion for other reasons apart from threats to the her health, fatal fetal abnormalities, rape/incest and pregnancies beyond which the abortion pill would be effective..?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

So Morag...

Would you support a woman's right to an abortion for other reasons apart from threats to the her health, fatal fetal abnormalities, rape/incest and pregnancies beyond which the abortion pill would be effective..?

Excuse me Silvio - but I believe you have a number of outstanding questions awaiting your attention.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Not so fast Silvio...

You were banned for repeatedly not engaging with posters, asking your own hypothetical questions and refusing to entertain others. If you want to ask any more, then you need answer this first:
    Bannasidhe wrote:
    Whats your point..?

A demonstration that the refusal of treatment has already happened.

Did you miss this?
    A teenager with leukemia has died after authorities refused, for nearly three weeks, to let her undergo chemotherapy because she was pregnant. The unnamed daughter of Rosa Hernandez was told by doctors she needed chemotherapy; however, there is a strict abortion ban in the Dominican Republic and the treatment was likely to terminate her pregnancy. At the time, she was 9 weeks along.

Now, would you care to answer the question?

Is it preferable to deny a woman vital medication causing long term damage to her physical and/or mental health to protect a fetus?

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Excuse me Silvio - but I believe you have a number of outstanding questions awaiting your attention.

All I see is alot of spam sneering at Dana to be honest, but she's Catholic so that soapboxing is acceptable :rolleyes:

If you seek my sage advice please ask...:)

• Advertisement

Dades wrote: »
    Not so fast Silvio...

You were banned for repeatedly not engaging with posters, asking your own hypothetical questions and refusing to entertain others. If you want to ask any more, then you need answer this first:

She should have received the Chemo...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement