Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abortion/ *Note* Thread Closing Shortly! ! !

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Flier

If the present medical council guidelines alone were to be legislated for I'd have no problem...

Ok, so I'm a little confused. The Medical council guidelines are based on the the constitution, and the upcoming legislation will be based on the constitution, and we haven't even seen the proposed legislation yet, so what exactly are you against??

• Site Banned Posts: 4,066 ✭✭✭Silvio.Dante

_rebelkid wrote: »
    Well you said they were "Death Chambers". They are not.

So theres no human life taken in abortion clinics? Really..?

Flier wrote: »
    so what exactly are you against??

The intentional killing of unborn babies. We've been here already I think..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭_rebelkid

So theres no human life taken in abortion clinics? Really..?

Death chamber insinuates that anyone who goes in there, and that is anyone under any prerequisite, will be put to death. No one is put to death in an abortion clinic.

We've been through the "human vs human life" part of the debate already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Never have and don't intend to either. Nothing personal. Unlike others here...

'doctor' - Explain why you wrote it thus.

• Advertisement

Death chamber insinuates that anyone who goes in there, and that is anyone under any prerequisite, will be put to death.

In the case of an abortion clinic thats exactly what happens to every unborn baby going in.

Is it dawning on you now..?

The intentional killing of unborn babies. We've been here already I think..:)

But the Medical council guindelines allows for abortion, for the 'intentional killing of unborn babies' as you put it, so if you're in favour of legislation to reflect those guidelines, why are you protesting??

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

In the case of an abortion clinic thats exactly what happens to every unborn baby going in.

No, there's no dawning required..... :)
    Its terminating a dangerous, unwanted or non viable foetus.... :)
    No killing takes place..... :):):)

It doesn't apply. Your term is either all or none. So either everyone goes into a Death Chamber and is killed, or no one goes into a death chamber.

And it is not a baby, so there is no dawning. Nor is there any dawning on your part as to the futility or rejecting a fixed point and an actual law that will be in place.

Can people please stop with all the smiley faces. Be it mocking or not, it is extremely annoying. Just a full stop will do, no need for extraneous emoticons.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

I like this death chamber language- it exposes the emotional bullying of the prolife brigade

But the Medical council guindelines allows for abortion, for the 'intentional killing of unborn babies' as you put it, so if you're in favour of legislation to reflect those guidelines, why are you protesting??

Got the relevant quotes from the guidelines there..?

lazygal wrote: »
    No, there's no dawning required..... :)
    Its terminating a dangerous, unwanted or non viable foetus.... :)
    No killing takes place..... :):):)

So Marie Stopes clinics only kill babies where there's a direct risk to the life of the mother..?

It doesn't apply. Your term is either all or none. So either everyone goes into a Death Chamber and is killed, or no one goes into a death chamber.

And it is not a baby, so there is no dawning. Nor is there any dawning on your part as to the futility or rejecting a fixed point and an actual law that will be in place.

Squirm much..?

Got the relevant quotes from the guidelines there..?

http://www.medicalcouncil.ie/Registration/Guide-to-Professional-Conduct-and-Behaviour-for-Registered-Medical-Practitioners.pdf

pdf, so doesn't copy nicely, but it's all there.

21 Abortion 21.1 Abortion is illegal in Ireland except where there is a real and
    substantial risk to the life (as distinct from the health) of the mother. Under current legal precedent, this exception includes where there is a clear and substantial risk to the life of the mother arising from a threat of suicide. You should undertake a full assess- ment of any such risk in light of the clinical research on this issue.
    21.2 It is lawful to provide information in Ireland about abortions abroad, subject to strict conditions.4 It is not lawful to encourage or advocate an abortion in individual cases.
    21.3 You have a duty to provide care, support and follow-up services for women who have an abortion abroad.
    21.4 In current obstetrical practice, rare complications can arise where therapeutic intervention (including termination of a pregnancy) is required at a stage when, due to extreme immaturity of the baby, there may be little or no hope of the baby surviving. In these exceptional circumstances, it may be necessary to intervene to terminate the pregnancy to protect the life of the mother, while making every effort to preserve the life of the baby.

So Marie Stopes clinics only kill babies where there's a direct risk to the life of the mother..?
    It adheres to UK guidelines, which are humane and recognize pregnancy, labour and birth isn't something a woman should be forced to undergo.
    You can call it killing babies, its semantics really. I'll do something you won't and give you a straight answer. If my "unborn baby" was going to compromise my health or wouldn't live past birth or meant my born children might be left without a mother, I'd have not a moment of hesitation about 'killing' it.
    No smiley face required.

efb wrote: »
    I like this death chamber language- it exposes the emotional bullying of the prolife brigade

Alas we don't have many testimonies from people who survived, as unborn babies, a visit to one of these death chambers.

Why is that do you think..?

Alas we don't have many testimonies from people who survived, as unborn babies, a visit to one of these death chambers.

Because the termination of pregnancy was successful. The same way the egg I shed during menstruation last month isn't here to testify, along with my husband's sperm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

We don't have patients revist hospices should we call them death chambers too???

http://www.medicalcouncil.ie/Registration/Guide-to-Professional-Conduct-and-Behaviour-for-Registered-Medical-Practitioners.pdf

pdf, so doesn't copy nicely, but it's all there.

21 Abortion 21.1 Abortion is illegal in Ireland except where there is a real and
    substantial risk to the life (as distinct from the health) of the mother. Under current legal precedent, this exception includes where there is a clear and substantial risk to the life of the mother arising from a threat of suicide. You should undertake a full assess- ment of any such risk in light of the clinical research on this issue.
    21.2 It is lawful to provide information in Ireland about abortions abroad, subject to strict conditions.4 It is not lawful to encourage or advocate an abortion in individual cases.
    21.3 You have a duty to provide care, support and follow-up services for women who have an abortion abroad.
    21.4 In current obstetrical practice, rare complications can arise where therapeutic intervention (including termination of a pregnancy) is required at a stage when, due to extreme immaturity of the baby, there may be little or no hope of the baby surviving. In these exceptional circumstances, it may be necessary to intervene to terminate the pregnancy to protect the life of the mother, while making every effort to preserve the life of the baby.
    21.4 being the relevant point...:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭swampgas

You don't like the Taliban reference but are happy to imply that anyone who favours abortion in some circumstances is promoting the use of "death chambers"?

Does the word "irony" mean anything to you?

It adheres to UK guidelines, which are humane and recognize pregnancy, labour and birth isn't something a woman should be forced to undergo.
    You can call it killing babies, its semantics really. I'll do something you won't and give you a straight answer. If my "unborn baby" was going to compromise my health or wouldn't live past birth or meant my born children might be left without a mother, I'd have not a moment of hesitation about 'killing' it.
    No smiley face required.

Thought so. Thank you for the confirmation...

Squirm much..?

Wow, a play of the Infidel card. Nice to see that Taliban are treating you well...

Because the termination of pregnancy was successful.

BINGO!

Sucess in this instnace being the intentional killing of an innocent life...:(

Thought so. Thank you for the confirmation...
    You're welcome. You be sure and tell me when you're pregnant and I'll tell you exactly what you can do with your body.

BINGO!

Sucess in this instnace being the intentional killing of an innocent life...:(
    Are the unborn killed during medical procedures not victims of medical termination, or as you call it an unintended side effect?

21.4 being the relevant point...:)

They're guidelines - you can't pick and chose which part of it you want to read. You said you were in favour of legislation to reflect those guidelines, but now you say only one part of them. Even the bit you agree with allows for abortion. You just don't get to put your own slant on it. Either you agree or you don't.

Are the unborn killed during medical procedures not victims of medical termination, or as you call it an unintended side effect?

Terminations so save the life of the mother are fully justified, even if tragically it leads to the unintentional death of the baby...

Terminations so save the life of the mother are fully justified, even if tragically it leads to the unintentional death of the baby...
    When is a termination not a termination? Why is your justification legitimate? Why do you priotise the unborn over the born?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Squirm much..?

Why did you write doctor as 'doctor'?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement