Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abortion/ *Note* Thread Closing Shortly! ! !

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Seriously guys, rise above it.

My posting style is what it is.

It ain't going to change anytime soon...

Lobbying to maintain the status quo?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Meanwhile.....
    HEALTH Minister James Reilly will present a memorandum to Cabinet tomorrow outlining proposed changes to the abortion laws.

Speaking this afternoon, he denied that there would be any delay in the memo going to Cabinet after reported tensions within the coalition over how to legislate on the X case ruling. "Not at all, I'll be updating the Cabinet tomorrow, as I said I would. I'm working very closely with Alex White and Kathleen Lynch on this and we're making great progress, and we hope to have this legislation as quickly as possible," he said.
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/proposed-changes-to-abortion-laws-to-go-before-cabinet-tomorrow-3376807.html

• Site Banned Posts: 4,066 ✭✭✭Silvio.Dante

Lobbying to maintain the status quo?

I like it...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

Corkfeen wrote: »
    Well, if you would think of the babies! x100 I wouldn't care about his posting style if it didn't consist pretty much entirely of repeatedly saying the exact same thing.

Agreed, how he's getting away with posting the same trite nonsense, dodging questions and responding rhetorically and spamming every page with consecutive one liner soapbox posts :) is beyond me.

I'm sick of giving him attention, can we move on?

Agreed, how he's getting away with posting the same trite nonsense, dodging questions and responding rhetorically and spamming every page with consecutive one liner soapbox posts :) is beyond me.

I'm sick of giving him attention, can we move on?

Oh for pity's sake get over yourself.

God help the Mods here putting up with such whingers.

Mods, you have my sympathies. You deserve it...;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

He is getting pretty repetitive, and he has shown us over and over again that he has no interest in understanding how biology or politics work...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭_rebelkid

Oh for pity's sake get over yourself.

God help the Mods here putting up with such whingers.

Mods, you have my sympathies. You deserve it...;)

Don't pander Silvio, not your style.

Anyway, I did a survey of people in my year, had some free time...

And the majority of people were all for legislation. Everyone from atheists to devout Christians. Their reasoning was that it will protect everyone as best as can happen, without choosing sides.

Twas a refreshing sound.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

how he's getting away with posting the same trite nonsense, dodging questions and responding rhetorically and spamming every page with consecutive one liner soapbox posts :) is beyond me.
    In this, and ignoring his/her other irritating posting habits, I think Silvio is unfortunately reflecting the current "pro-life" side of the debate quite well.

Which is a great pity since there is a legitimate and worthwhile discussion to be had on this important issue and it's sad, to me at least, that nobody on the "pro-life" side seems to be able to rise above the juvenile.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

A German archbishop announces that some morning-after pills don't induce abortion in the church's terms, so it's ok for church-controlled hospitals to prescribe them.

This announcement is in response to a scandal in Cologne where two church-controlled hospitals refused to treat a women who claimed she'd been raped.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/0204/366179-germany-morning-after-pill-catholic-hospitals-rape/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

5 drs to see a patient who like the child in the X Case would sooner kill themself then continue the pregnancy. How workable is that going to be esp in small hospitals down the country and

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/cabinet-update-on-abortion-law-delayed-221577.html
    Dr Reilly has said he hopes the measures will become law by July.

Funny how they could change the copywrite law, data protection law and drug laws with a wave of a pen and little to no consultation but it's coming up on 21 year and the X Case has still not been legislated for.

Are they trying to run the clock out on the Dáil working year between now and summer?
    or trying to put it off to not be shown up while the EU presidency is here.

• Advertisement

robindch wrote: »
    In this, and ignoring his/her other irritating posting habits, I think Silvio is unfortunately reflecting the current "pro-life" side of the debate quite well.

Which is a great pity since there is a legitimate and worthwhile discussion to be had on this important issue and it's sad, to me at least, that nobody on the "pro-life" side seems to be able to rise above the juvenile.

This, from the person who makes blasé insults about people having Parkinsons.

You couldn't make it up...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Morag wrote: »
    5 drs to see a patient who like the child in the X Case would sooner kill themself then continue the pregnancy. How workable is that going to be esp in small hospitals down the country and

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/cabinet-update-on-abortion-law-delayed-221577.html

Funny how they could change the copywrite law, data protection law and drug laws with a wave of a pen and little to no consultation but it's coming up on 21 year and the X Case has still not been legislated for.

Are they trying to run the clock out on the Dáil working year between now and summer?
    or trying to put it off to not be shown up while the EU presidency is here.

And they managed to implement the results of the referendum on judges pay in a matter of weeks. No suggestions the people didn't know what they were voting on there.

_rebelkid wrote: »

And the majority of people were all for legislation. Everyone from atheists to devout Christians. Their reasoning was that it will protect everyone as best as can happen, without choosing sides.

Twas a refreshing sound.

Do they know about you're support for having partial birth abortion available..?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

Morag wrote: »

I strongly suspect that this is the case.

lazygal wrote: »
    And they managed to implement the results of the referendum on judges pay in a matter of weeks. No suggestions the people didn't know what they were voting on there.

Protecting the life of unborn babies from intentional killing is whatthis is all aboujt.

The longer legislation for X is put off the longer the propsect of introducing intentional killing is...

Protecting the life of unborn babies from intentional killing is whatthis is all aboujt.

The longer legislation for X is put off the longer the propsect of introducing intentional killing is...

Yes, women can just avail of the British solution to kill their unwanted babies/have an abortion/terminate a pregnancy and we can keep patting ourselves on the back while unborn babies are killed/aborted/terminated/insert whatever you call it when its a side effect of a medical procedure but isn't an abortion because you say it isn't in Irish hospitals in a fuzzy legal framework.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

Twas a refreshing sound.

That's interesting, and positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

The majority of people want X Case legislation sorted out, but the anti side are very vocal and insistent that they are in the majority but poll after poll shows this is not the case.
    But If the TDs don't hear from the majority they they will huff and puff and bluster and delay.

How the X case has been handled should be a voting issue for you TDs they should fear us the majority not voting for them next time out due to their inaction.

Yes, women can just avail of the British solution to kill their unwanted babies/have an abortion/terminate a pregnancy and we can keep patting ourselves on the back while unborn babies are killed/aborted/terminated/insert whatever you call it when its a side effect of a medical procedure but isn't an abortion because you say it isn't in Irish hospitals in a fuzzy legal framework.

As has been said before, we are focussing on the law in this country.

We've proudly kept the horrors of abortion from our shores despite huge pressures from the abortion lobby, the Irish Times cohort and radical feminism.

We're not just going to give up now when our work is most needed given the threat rfrom the Daly/Bacik Axis in Leinster House...

We've proudly kept the horrors of abortion from our shores despite huge pressures from the abortion lobby, the Irish Times cohort and radical feminism.

We're not just going to give up now when our work is most needed given the threat rfrom the Daly/Bacik Axis in Leinster House...

But abortions are carried out in Irish hospitals already, the horror! And I'm not one bit proud of how successive governments have ignored the will of the people. Is radical feminism a bad thing? Is the Irish Times, with Breda O'Brien and John Waters as columists a hotbed of free thinking?

You're gas Silvio, I'm really going to enjoy the day the legislation is passed, then referred to the Supreme Court, found to be constitutional despite the Binchy/Catholic axis, and signed into law. You can weep over the killing of the unborn, I'll join my radical feminist friends and have a party.

• Advertisement

I'll join my radical feminist friends and have a party.

I don't doubt it for a minute...:(

I don't doubt it for a minute...:(
    Ah we're great fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Ah we're great fun!

If your radical feminist friends are anything like my radical feminist friends it should be some parrrttttaaayyyy!

Not to mention a great forum plotting for a campaign to repeal the 8th. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

You're doing no such thing. Every time someone tells you how laws in Ireland are made, you repeat the same old lie that legislation for the X case is something that politicians can avoid, even after a supreme court ruling, 2 referendums, and pressure from the European Court of Justice.

You are doing the exact opposite of focusing on this country's laws. You are trying to blur reality and fantasy. You are taking bribes from foreign organisations to interrupt the lawmaking process of this country.

You don't give a damn about law. Just like you don't give a damn about the lives this legislation will save. All you're doing here is embarrassing your pro-life friends. If you really want to help your cause, try something like I've already suggested. Campaign in the UK, push for better sex ed. Do something that's actually useful.

Do they know about you're support for having partial birth abortion available..?

You see Silvio, in an intelligent conversation and debate, ridiculous and improbable scenarios aren't discussed. What we, my friends and I, discuss, are things that actually have a chance of happening, and aren't just Pro-Life illogical spin.

But that raises a point, do your friends, and yes that is an assumption, know that you would rather let a woman die in a futile attempt to save a cell cluster, just because it makes you feel like you have acted on behalf of something that is defenseless without any regard for the consequences to the living?

That's interesting, and positive.

It certainly is. It, in my opinion, shows an educated electorate. Though it may be just a small cross section of "tha' yoof", it does show that they are not affected by spin.

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    If your radical feminist friends are anything like my radical feminist friends it should be some parrrttttaaayyyy!

Not to mention a great forum plotting for a campaign to repeal the 8th. ;)

Ye'll be chanting your old classics such as 'Don't let the fetus defeat us'...:D

you would rather let a woman die in a futile attempt to save a cell cluster, just because it makes you feel like you have acted on behalf of something that is defenseless without any regard for the consequences to the living?

Come again..?

Come again..?

That's the most self explanatory sentence I've written to date. You realy don't understand comprehension, do you... :pac::cool::P:confused::eek::(:mad::):rolleyes::o:p;):D

• Advertisement

Ye'll be chanting your old classics such as 'Don't let the fetus defeat us'...:D
    That's a good one, I'll add it to the list. The pro choice movement thanks you, you'll help change the law so terminations can be carried out! :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement