Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abortion/ *Note* Thread Closing Shortly! ! !

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

A draft of the report into the death of Savita Halappanavar is out. Of relevance is
    • To prevent the spread of infection, staff should have considered performing an abortion – even before the couple requested it – but this never happened.
    • A lack of clear guidelines on the issue of abortion was a contributory factor.

..and in particular....
    An extract from the draft report says there was too much emphasis with the foetal heartbeat and not enough on the mother's health. It says that the absence of legislation in which abortions can be carried out was a contributory factor.
    (my bold)
    http://www.herald.ie/news/savita-the-truth-29068036.html

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Nodin wrote: »
    A draft of the report into the death of Savita Halappanavar is out. Of relevance is

..and in particular....

(my bold)
    http://www.herald.ie/news/savita-the-truth-29068036.html

Waiting for all those who said there is no evidence an abortion would have saved her life....

*cobwebs are forming as we wait*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bobby42

I wonder with the fact that they didn't pick up on the infection for days mean the anti choicers will finally drop the "Ireland without abortion is the safest place in the world to have a baby" line or will they carry on regardless.

Bobby42 wrote: »
    I wonder with the fact that they didn't pick the infection for days mean the anti choicers will finally drop the "Ireland without abortion is the safest place in the world to have a baby" line or will they carry on regardless.

I vote they will carry on regardless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

I wonder with the fact that they didn't pick the infection for days mean the anti choicers will finally drop the "Ireland without abortion is the safest place in the world to have a baby" line or will they carry on regardless.

Carry On Regardless, starring unlovable rogue David Quinn etc etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

They'll carry on quoting the maternal death rate, which is entirely unsatisfactory method of calculating how safe it is to be pregnant, as opposed to giving birth, in Ireland. Anecdotally, I don't know any woman who's had a baby in Ireland who was 100% happy with pre and / or postnatal care, but once baby is healthy they tend to draw a line under it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

My god, poor Savita, and her poor husband. How they were so utterly failed is beyond comprehension.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I can almost hear David Quinn telling us not to jump to any conclusions about these so-called facts, and how the report was a whitewash by liberal anti-catholic gay feminist doctors.

And the evidence that this legislation was sorely needed grows a little more. I hope that's at least some closure/vindication for Savita's husband.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bobby42

They'll use the report to lambast the pro choice side for highjacking Savita's death to further their own agenda while at the same time use the report to show that there's still no need for legislation.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

No response on the Youth Defense FB page, they must be deserately trying to find some spin they can put on this to back up their "abortion never saves a life" claim

• Advertisement

Being lectured on Twitter about how it was the infection that killed her, not the lack of abortion. It's pathetic, really.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Was she given intravenous antibiotics at any point? And if she had been, could it have helped her? If she wasn't, why wasn't she? If her waters had broken her risk of infection would have been very high, women in term labour aren't usually allowed to go 24 hours past their waters breaking and are strongly recommended/sent for emergency section.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Joe_Christ

What annoys me the most about this debate is how the opinion of the RCC is taken seriously by the public. Why do the church have any authority on a medical issue? Even if there was a god etc. what makes them so sure those old teachings apply today? If a local GAA club took a stand on either side they would not be taken seriously yet people still blindly follow the church's evidence lacking claims. Absolutely awful

• Site Banned Posts: 4,066 ✭✭✭Silvio.Dante

Lest we forget the head of this inquiry team is an open advocate of a liberal abortion regime... Agenda people, always look for the agenda...

• Moderators Posts: 51,798 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Lest we forget the head of this inquiry team is an open advocate of a liberal abortion regime... Agenda people, always look for the agenda...

nice glossing over the tragic and avoidable death of Savita Halappanavar.

If you can read this, you're too close!

koth wrote: »
    nice glossing over the tragic and avoidable death of Savita Halappanavar.

Oh the irony...:rolleyes:

When yu have an abortion cheerleader heading one of the inquiries, don't be surprised when he uses his position to push his penchant for intentionally killing innocent unborn babies...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

When yu have an abortion cheerleader heading one of the inquiries, don't be surprised when he uses his position to push his penchant for blah de blah de blah...

Please demonstrate how the information coming out so far is evidence of one person pushing their baby killing agenda. Use links to impartial sources as evidence.

Otherwise we'll just have to assume you're here ignorantly pushing your own pointless agenda and failing to bring anything to the debate, as per usual.

When yu have an abortion cheerleader heading one of the inquiries, don't be surprised when he uses his position to push his penchant for intentionally killing innocent unborn babies...

Yes, it was ironic that you glossed over the death of Savita because it suits your anti-abortion agenda. And lets not forget that you've already suggested perverting the democratic process. Don't so quick to throw around accusations of agendas when you are willing to tear down democracy to push yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

In fairness Silvio is probably just projecting the approach the anti-abortion side takes onto everyone else as it's all they know. The any means justify the end approach. Just look at YD who have lied repeatedly, asked the government to cheat when it comes to how our republic operates and blatantly stole artistic materials to push their agenda. Is it any real surprise that someone so caught up in it thinks the other side are at it too? The paranoia is based somewhat in reality if just grossly misplaced.

Sarky wrote: »
    I can almost hear David Quinn telling us not to jump to any conclusions about these so-called facts, and how the report was a whitewash by liberal anti-catholic gay feminist doctors.

Like. Clockwork.

• Advertisement

koth wrote: »
    Yes, it was ironic that you glossed over the death of Savita because it suits your anti-abortion agenda. And lets not forget that you've already suggested perverting the democratic process. Don't so quick to throw around accusations of agendas when you are willing to tear down democracy to push yours.

I have no vote on the pending X legislation but the TDs' do and will accept of reject it...:)

ShooterSF wrote: »
    The any means justify the end approach.

If our campaign against X works then it most certainly will be justified...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

I have no vote on the pending X legislation but the TDs' do and will accept of reject it...:)
    Is it really beyond your ability to engage in an actual discussion?
    tumblr_ls80bkw8i81qbetx6o1_400.jpg

Sarky wrote: »
    Like. Clockwork.

If it walks like duck etc...

Thank you for proving my point.

`Don't fret Silvio - we have our eyes firmly on the agenda.

Slivio, you were asked to back up your claims. Please do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,634 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Any chance people could just stop replying to Silvio? At least in other threads, like the creationist thread, the "other-side" posters are capable of occasionally answering points (usually with spectacularly inaccurate statements, but answers nonetheless), and we get the pleasure of reading well-thought out rebuttals from the likes of oldrnwisr. Silvio couldn't even be called a troll. Their posts generate nothing. There is no discussion.

You might as well be debating a YD billboard, in that it just repeats the same couple of sentences over and over regardless of context, and pays about the same attention to what you say.

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

Ah, but when he's asked to account for himself he tends to go quiet for a while, so it's often worth it. It reminds of when I used to lend my annoying cousin a tenner cos it meant I'd not see her again for 6 months.

• Advertisement

Caroline Simons is an absolute legend and is owning Kitty Holland tonight...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement