Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abortion/ *Note* Thread Closing Shortly! ! !

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Doctor Strange

What's the craic with the report? I heard there's legal delays now cause parts were leaked?

• Site Banned Posts: 4,066 ✭✭✭Silvio.Dante

It turns out the risk to Savita's life wasn't picked up by the medical staff, hence the referrence to a terminaton not being legal. Yet the Probort supporters are still hijacking her death to pedal their obsession with kiling unborn babies.

Shameful...:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

It turns out the risk to Savita's life wasn't picked up by the medical staff, hence the referrence to a terminaton not being legal. Yet the Probort supporters are still hijacking her death to pedal their obsession with kiling unborn babies.

Shameful...:(

We interrupt the looped tape of "Waaah, de baybees" with an exerpt from the report, as stated in the Herald......
    To prevent the spread of infection, staff should have considered performing an abortion – even before the couple requested it – but this never happened.

Nodin wrote: »
    We interrupt the looped tape of "Waaah, de baybees" with an exerpt from the report, as stated in the Herald......

The staff didn't pick up on the risk to her life.

get it..?

What's the craic with the report? I heard there's legal delays now cause parts were leaked?

No mention of that on the News. Reilly did say
    Earlier, Minister for Health James Reilly said if someone mounts a legal challenge that could cause problems.
    He said the inquiry team was still compiling its findings.
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/0213/367565-savita-halappanavar-report/

• Advertisement

The staff didn't pick up on the risk to her life.

get it..?

....because, to go again to the article

An extract from the draft report says there was too much emphasis with the foetal heartbeat and not enough on the mother's health. It says that the absence of legislation in which abortions can be carried out was a contributory factor.
    http://www.herald.ie/news/savita-the-truth-29068036.html

http://www.herald.ie/news/savita-the-truth-29068036.html[/QUOTE]

The medical staff didn't recognise any threat to her life, mistakenly... Get it now..?

If they did, a termination should have taken place...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Doctor Strange

No mention of that on the News. Reilly did say

http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/0213/367565-savita-halappanavar-report/

Ah right, I misheard then. I heard the words "legal challenge" and thought someone had gone to court on account of the leak.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

http://www.herald.ie/news/savita-the-truth-29068036.html[/QUOTE]

The medical staff didn't recognise any threat to her life, mistakenly... Get it now..?

If they did, a termination should have taken place...

or to put it another way, an abortion should have been carried out.

Bannasidhe wrote: »

or to put it another way, an abortion should have been carried out.

...but wasn't, due to a lack of clarity over abortion guidelines, and a fixation on the foetal heartbbeat, or so I read it.

• Advertisement

...but wasn't, due to a lack of clarity over abortion guidelines, and a fixation on the foetal heartbbeat, or so I read it.

Completely wrong.

the staff didn't perceive there was a risk to her life. If they had a termination would and should have been carried out...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

Nodin is completely right.
    An extract from the draft report says there was too much emphasis with the foetal heartbeat and not enough on the mother's health. It says that the absence of legislation in which abortions can be carried out was a contributory factor.

Look, a quote and a link.

Completely wrong.

the staff didn't perceive there was a risk to her life. If they had a termination would and should have been carried out...

By 'termination' do you mean 'abortion'?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

If our campaign against X works then it most certainly will be justified...

Eh I know that's what you believe because that was my point :confused:

You feel that it is ok to lie, cheat or steal to get what you want and that's your choice but it doesn't mean the other side are doing it too. The problem is that when you believe it's ok to do all this it is very hard to believe that the other side don't feel the same way and aren't also lying cheating or stealing to get their way. Therefore it makes sense to you that the report is not impartial but a conspiracy by the pro-choice side to lie and cheat their way to their desired end because if the other side we able to fudge the report they would. Projection.

ShooterSF wrote: »
    You feel that it is ok to lie, cheat or steal to get what you want and that's your choice but it doesn't mean the other side are doing it too.

Slander much..?

Nodin is completely right.

Look, a quote and a link.

So are you tellling us the staff were fully aware of the risk to her life..?

• Moderators Posts: 51,798 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭swampgas

Justified how? Because it means that you want to subvert democracy to have your minority moral position enforced on the Irish people. I'm surprised you don't seem to understand the significance of what you are saying - that most Irish people can go hang as long as you and your vocal hard-line friends get their way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭oldrnwisr

Slander much..?

How is the truth considered slander?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭swampgas

Completely wrong.

If you accept that terminations are allowable where there is risk to a woman's life, why are you so against X? After all, there is a real risk to the life of a genuinely suicidal woman.

The X legislation being proposed here is so restrictive it will in no way allow for abortion on demand.

I really can't see how the X legislation is something you would be too concerned about - certainly not to the extent that you would be prepared to throw democratic principles out the window in order to block it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,710 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

If my memory is right, Savita's widower-husband stated that Savita had asked for a termination as her medical training had "informed" her that one was needed. She "read" her body correctly and it's possible that the hospital's medical staff treating her followed the usual practice of "we know best, dear" and totally ignored what she said.

There's the chance that the report might well say it was entirely possible to comply with Savita's request and operate within the laws of our state and the guidelines of the medical professions.

If this does in fact turn out to be what is published in the report, then (IMO) the finger of blame should be pointed directly towards those who pushed a religious ethos on the Medic's in Galway, leading to a decision fatal for Savita.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

aloyisious wrote: »
    If my memory is right, Savita's widower-husband stated that Savita had asked for a termination as her medical training had "informed" her that one was needed. She "read" her body correctly and it's possible that the hospital's medical staff treating her followed the usual practice of "we know best, dear" and totally ignored what she said.

This is certainly the experience I and others had during pre and postnatal care. I knew my baby wasn't lying in the right position, but was fobbed off when I raised this at an antenatal class by a very 'I know what I'm talking about' nurse/midwife. A scan the next day confirmed I was right and meant I needed weekly appointments and to be very much on guard if I went into labour. My consultant, in fairness, was brilliant and told me to listen to what my body was telling me. I know women who knew they were in active labour, were dismissed and left on a 'normal' non delivery ward, only to give birth shortly afterwards. I know another woman who's baby was lying the same way as I was who ended up with serious complications as she was told not be demanding a section when the theatre was chock a block with 'real' emergencies.

Overall the care I got was good but not amazing, like people often say about Irish antenatal care, and I think a lot of it was the traditional 'hysterical woman' attitude, from staff at all levels. Its also not PC to say it but I definitely got better care in some areas by going private, a lot more scans, which I found reassuring, a better relationship with my consultant and better aftercare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

lazygal wrote: »
    This is certainly the experience I and others had during pre and postnatal care. I knew my baby wasn't lying in the right position, but was fobbed off when I raised this at an antenatal class by a very 'I know what I'm talking about' nurse/midwife. A scan the next day confirmed I was right and meant I needed weekly appointments and to be very much on guard if I went into labour. My consultant, in fairness, was brilliant and told me to listen to what my body was telling me. I know women who knew they were in active labour, were dismissed and left on a 'normal' non delivery ward, only to give birth shortly afterwards. I know another woman who's baby was lying the same way as I was who ended up with serious complications as she was told not be demanding a section when the theatre was chock a block with 'real' emergencies.

Overall the care I got was good but not amazing, like people often say about Irish antenatal care, and I think a lot of it was the traditional 'hysterical woman' attitude, from staff at all levels. Its also not PC to say it but I definitely got better care in some areas by going private, a lot more scans, which I found reassuring, a better relationship with my consultant and better aftercare.

Whether one is pro choice or pro life, it really infuriates me when I read reports about how pregnant women are treated sometimes in hospitals. My best friend gave birth to her little fella (my godson) when she was quite young and it was her first and I imagine she was terrified. She told me they pretty much refused to give her an epidural. Basically by constantly telling her "its too early, its too early" and then "oh look, its too late". She was crying for her mum and apparently screamed at the father to warn me never to have a baby :rolleyes:. A woman in labour is so vulnerable, its maddening that staff can get away with this kind of treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    Whether one is pro choice or pro life, it really infuriates me when I read reports about how pregnant women are treated sometimes in hospitals. My best friend gave birth to her little fella (my godson) when she was quite young and it was her first and I imagine she was terrified. She told me they pretty much refused to give her an epidural. Basically by constantly telling her "its too early, its too early" and then "oh look, its too late". She was crying for her mum and apparently screamed at the father to warn me never to have a baby :rolleyes:. A woman in labour is so vulnerable, its maddening that staff can get away with this kind of treatment.

That's the same way one of my brother's was born. He was my mum's third child, but they wouldn't believe her when she said that she'd gone into labour. He was damn near born on a trolley in the corridor.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

koth wrote: »
    Saw this one last night -- what a farcical interview.

Martin said that the risk of suicide "opens the door to abortion on demand", then -- making a judgement call on the risk of suicide himself -- implied that he didn't trust medical professionals to make a judgement call on the risk of suicide. How come the interviewer let him off on this fairly obvious point?

Of course, he's just waiting for the government to publish its legislation so that he can see which way the political wind is blowing, then follow it one way or the other.

What a buffoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    She told me they pretty much refused to give her an epidural. Basically by constantly telling her "its too early, its too early" and then "oh look, its too late"..
    Similar thing happened to my mother when she was having my younger brother - she asked for an epidural, and was told "Oh we're busy and a bit low on the drugs, we're saving them for the first-time mothers" - they wouldn't give her one as it was her 2nd child and she could "handle it". Clearly things haven't changed much since 1987...

kylith wrote: »
    That's the same way one of my brother's was born. He was my mum's third child, but they wouldn't believe her when she said that she'd gone into labour. He was damn near born on a trolley in the corridor.

I was born on a trolley in the corridor. They told my mother not to be so silly when she said I was coming...

Seems like little has changed in close to 50 years....:(

oldrnwisr wrote: »
    How is the truth considered slander?

I see a Mod thanked this post :rolleyes:

Show me where I have lied, cheated or stolen. Failure to do so will atuomatically imply your retraction and acceptance by me...

swampgas wrote: »
    If you accept that terminations are allowable where there is risk to a woman's life, why are you so against X? After all, there is a real risk to the life of a genuinely suicidal woman.

The X legislation being proposed here is so restrictive it will in no way allow for abortion on demand.

I really can't see how the X legislation is something you would be too concerned about - certainly not to the extent that you would be prepared to throw democratic principles out the window in order to block it.

The suicide clause. Thin end of a horrific wedge. Get suicide off the X legislation and you may be on to something...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Silvio, when you refer to "our" campaign, you become answerable for the wrongs of the campaigners you associate with. This is not personal to you.

A read through this thread will point out the instances where groups like Youth Defense have either lied, cheated or stolen.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement