Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abortion/ *Note* Thread Closing Shortly! ! !

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I wanna see the spam...
    :(

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Galvasean wrote: »
    I wanna see the spam...

I can email it to you if like. Just let me know how many copies you want. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I think there's at least one carbon copy over yonder with the god-botherers. It's not spam there.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Galvasean wrote: »
    I wanna see the spam...

Essentially 'Holymarymotherofunbornbaybees we beeeeseeech you oh holymarymotherofbaybeesbornandunborn to...etc etc etc' for ages

• Registered Users Posts: 34,940 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Sounds a bit like a rosary - meditation for catholics. Apparently if you repeat a meaningless form of words often enough it starts to mean something.
    Meanwhile the Iona are on Prime Time and VB every week repeating the same old same old.. where did they get their inspiration from? :rolleyes:

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Advertisement

Terminations will only be allowed in public hospitals with safeguards set out and, there will be no licensing of clinics to carry out terminations.

Screw this. State interference in the doctor-patient relationship. Patients have a right to private medicine if they choose, with no state interference. The same thing is being proposed up North now to shut down the Marie Stopes clinic and force women back into the politically docile NHS.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

Sent to my local TDs - 2FG 2 Lab :

Dear Deputy XXX,

I am writing to you to express my deep concern in relation to the reported
    proposals for legislation in relation to the X Case.

As you will be aware, the Irish electorate have twice been asked in referendum
    to eliminate the entitlement of a pregnant woman, whose life is threatened by
    the risk of suicide, to obtain an abortion in this State - and the Irish
    electorate have twice rejected these proposals.

The European Court of Human Rights has also determined that Irish women should
    have the right to termination of pregnancy where their life is at risk due to
    that pregnancy.

The issue is currently being discussed almost exclusively in terms of women at
    risk of suicide, however this overlooks the wider issue of risk to life in
    general. It appears that the so-called 'pro-life' lobby have been quite
    successful in restricting the terms of debate to those of their choosing.
    Nonetheless, there remains a constitutional and human rights imperative on the
    Irish Government to legislate to respect and vindicate the right to life of
    pregnant women.

There is now great concern that a small conservative element within the Fine
    Gael party will attempt to derail stated Government policy on this important
    issue. This pressure must be resisted at all costs. Along with thousands of
    others, my wife and I marched in solidarity and protest following the needless
    tragic death of Savita Halappanavar. Although the legislation now proposed
    may not in itself have been sufficient to save her life, in particular as it
    deals only with the explicit risk to life as opposed to health, it is
    nonetheless needed. Never again should we allow the presence or absence of a
    foetal heartbeat to determine the course of medical care for a woman faced
    with life-threatening illness.

I am most concerned at reports today (Sunday) that (from rte.ie) "Terminations
    will only be allowed in public hospitals with safeguards set out and, there
    will be no licensing of clinics to carry out terminations." This represents
    unwarranted and odious State interference in the doctor-patient relationship,
    and is reminiscent of the tactics employed by religious extremists in Northern
    Ireland to frustrate the legal rights of women in that jurisdiction. I trust
    that no TD of this government will support such unwarranted and unprecedented
    restrictions on patients to choose public or private treatment as is their
    right.

Yours sincerely,

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

"Forty years after the Supreme Court affirmed a woman’s constitutional right to privacy, including the right to choose, we shouldn’t have to remind people that when it comes to a woman’s health, no politician should get to decide what’s best for you"

Meanwhile, in America Obama said this.

http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/04/26/in-speech-to-planned-parenthood-obama-criticizes-new-abortion-laws/?src=rechp

In Ireland, a pregnant woman's health isn't even a factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,696 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Brian Walsh, TD (FG), say's he back's what Enda Kenny say's, that the life of the pregnant woman is paramount. He would also vote to scrap the 1861 act which makes abortion illegal.

However, he will vote against legislation making abortion legal if it includes a suicide clause, and say's there is clear evidence that suicide should not be a factor in considering allowing abortion. He say's SF is a Pro-Choice party.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Just heard him. He obviously uses 'pro choice' as some sort of slur.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

GAAAH! Ronan Mullen vs. Claire Daly on Pat Kenny right now - the bloody man simply shouts her down continuously. He really is unbearable, isn't he?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭GCU Flexible Demeanour

Just a little Twilight Zone moment
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/kenny-calls-for-calm-as-abortion-debate-becomes-more-fractious-1.1375835

Taoiseach Enda Kenny has appealed for calm in the increasingly fractious debate over imminent abortion legislation, saying people should wait until the draft law is published before passing judgment on it.

Mr Kenny’s remarks yesterday evening in Granada, Spain <...>

That Granada thing can't be a coincidence?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

I hope Enda responds to thread because I really want to know what things one can experience in Granada. Although I feel that the thread is making false promises in much the same way as our governments....

Corkfeen wrote: »
    I hope Enda responds to thread because I really want to know what things one can experience in Granada. Although I feel that the thread is making false promises in much the same way as our governments....

A three course lunch slap in the middle of the city centre for less than 10 euro including beverage... not that Edna..I mean Enda...would know that....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,696 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

B0jangles wrote: »
    GAAAH! Ronan Mullen vs. Claire Daly on Pat Kenny right now - the bloody man simply shouts her down continuously. He really is unbearable, isn't he?

I'd like to see them meet after a few scoops in the Dáil bar :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,417 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Heard a rattle on the letterbox half an hour ago. A leaflet from Dublin For Life. No pics of dead babies, etc. This is very much aimed at FG - James Reilly and Alan Farrell in my neck of the woods. The front is Obama poster art style colours, (of the two FG TDs) back is "Will FG be known as the 'Abortion Party'?", then some info about the UK, stats, contact info for the two TDs.

"But Enda Kenny and the Government want to legalise abortion in Ireland on suicide grounds - through all 9 months of pregnancy"...er, OK. (Bold is their doing, btw).

Anyone else get something like this? I'd have a lot of concerns if there was another referendum. The pro life camp would win the ground game for delivering propaganda due to how well funded they are.

Anyway, what can I do? Keep the pressure up via email, or something? I'd scan the leaflet, but my shredder will happily take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

Corkfeen wrote: »
    I hope Enda responds to thread because I really want to know what things one can experience in Granada.

Possibly the same kind of things you can experience in the back of a Grenada.

Possibly the same kind of things you can experience in the back of a Grenada.

Gazpacho?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Tis here at last......

It is understood that the Heads of the Protection of Maternal Life Bill 2013
    being discussed at Cabinet propose three procedures.

One doctor will be required to certify a termination of pregnancy in a
    medical emergency.

Two doctors will be required in the case of a non-emergency.

In the case of suicidal ideation, three doctors will be required to certify
    that a woman is entitled to a termination of pregnancy.
    Warning - link contains graphic picture of a gobshite.
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/0430/388858-abortion-legislation/

• Advertisement

Mathews on the rampage, not for the faint of heart, or those holding something delicate.
    http://www.broadsheet.ie/2013/04/30/it-wrote-itself/

The floodgates have been opened. . .

Jernal wrote: »
    The floodgates have been opened. . .

....as predicted in the ancient tomes, The Bloodening is upon us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Finally! I'm off to go have dirty unprotected sex ;)

Nodin wrote: »
    Mathews on the rampage, not for the faint of heart, or those holding something delicate.

That guy needs an empathy check.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Nodin wrote: »

Mathews: “But sure we’re all going to end up dead anyway.”

That's not his final argument is it? Tell me there's more...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bobby42

I find it quite disturbing that Mathews, or any other "pro life" politician believes that a woman should have absolutely no input into her care if there is a fatal abnormality or if there's a risk to her health.

And he seems quite untroubled by the fact that woman might die because of this. Sickening really, and I'd imagine he'd still hold the moral highground with this opinion.

Is it like he wants men to get even with women, settle a score.

- oh well, us men had to risk our lives down the mines so you women should have to risk your lives with pregnancy.

Bobby42 wrote: »
    I find it quite disturbing that Mathews, or any other "pro life" politician believes that a woman should have absolutely no input into her care if there is a fatal abnormality or if there's a risk to her health.

And he seems quite untroubled by the fact that woman might die because of this. Sickening really, and I'd imagine he'd still hold the moral highground with this opinion.

- oh well, us men had to risk our lives down the mines so you women should have to risk your lives with pregnancy.

Just had my 79 year old mother on the phone ranting.

The gist of it was 'vote against the suicide clause then ye gob****es and tear up the Constitution while ye are about it and we'll start all over again and maybe we will get it right this time. Shower of ***** who ***** and wouldn't know democracy if it ***** ****** in the ****. For **** sake!!!'

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Bobby42 wrote: »

He sounds to me like he thinks we should all be suffering under Eve's curse too.

Sofaking depressed after reading that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭jaja321

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Just had my 79 year old mother on the phone ranting.

The gist of it was 'vote against the suicide clause then ye gob****es and tear up the Constitution while ye are about it and we'll start all over again and maybe we will get it right this time. Shower of ***** who ***** and wouldn't know democracy if it ***** ****** in the ****. For **** sake!!!'

I want to give your mother a hug!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement