Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abortion/ *Note* Thread Closing Shortly! ! !

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Seems Derek Keating TD wants my mobile number presumably to give me a talking down to after I wrote to him urging him not to vote against the suicide clause in the legislation.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Galvasean wrote: »
    Mathews: “But sure we’re all going to end up dead anyway.”

That's not his final argument is it? Tell me there's more...

I like this quote:

Mathews: “Of a baby, don’t say the word foetus.”

Sorry to disabuse you, Peter, but it isn't even a foetus until week 9 or 10.

He thinks it's a fcuking person.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

jaja321 wrote: »
    I want to give your mother a hug!

I'm waiting until her blood pressure lowers and her angina meds kick in - although listening to her it may take a serious dose of valium to calm her.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Pherekydes wrote: »
    I like this quote:

Mathews: “Of a baby, don’t say the word foetus.”

Sorry to disabuse you, Peter, but it isn't even a foetus until week 9 or 10.

He thinks it's a fcuking person.

Well he believes life begins at conception. So it kind of follows that he would think it's a person.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bobby42

He thinks life literally begins at conception.

So a fertilized egg should have the same rights as you or I apparently.

Should a woman be charged with murder for throwing out a sanitary towel?

Noam Chomsky said in a lecture in UCD a few weeks ago that if you follow thing logic through, then maybe women won't be allowed to wash their hands, since thousands of skin cells are killed in the process.

• Advertisement

Jernal wrote: »
    Well he believes life begins at conception. So it kind of follows that he would think it's a person.

But sure we will all die anyway so what's his problem?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

jaja321 wrote: »
    I want to give your mother a hug!
    I want to give her an Uzi. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

I wonder does he think that all these people should have their names recorded and be given good Christian burials when they're spontaneously aborted?

Bobby42 wrote: »
    He thinks life literally begins at conception.

So a fertilized egg should have the same rights as you or I apparently.

Should a woman be charged with murder for throwing out a sanitary towel?

Noam Chomsky said in a lecture in UCD a few weeks ago that if you follow thing logic through, then maybe women won't be allowed to wash their hands, since thousands of skin cells are killed in the process.

Noam Chomsky was speaking nonsense. It's very unfair to suggest that pro-lifers put the same stock into a skin cell or bacterial organism as the cell that has potential to be a new human being. If skin cells created humans then his comparison might have a point. Apples and oranges in my view.

Dades wrote: »
    I want to give her an Uzi. :pac:

You mean this?:D
    falling-down-original.jpg

• Advertisement

There may be some good to come out of this
    FINE GAEL TD Lucinda Creighton has refused to rule out the possibility of resigning her position as Junior Minister if she finds the proposed abortion legislation morally unacceptable.
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/creighton-i-will-follow-my-own-moral-judgement-on-abortion-29232667.html

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Noam Chomsky was speaking nonsense. It's very unfair to suggest that pro-lifers put the same stock into a skin cell or bacterial organism as the cell that has potential to be a new human being. If skin cells created humans then his comparison might have a point. Apples and oranges in my view.

Maybe they can. All sorts of genetic stuff going on, cloning, whatnot :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Bannasidhe wrote: »

I suspect she'll find the loss of earnings more unacceptable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

The skin cells are just expressing some genes more/less than other cells. Still genetically identical, and could probably be reset to "embryo mode" without too much trouble.

You can't turn an apple into an orange. At most, it's comparing Golden Delicious to Granny Smith.

/bioinformatics

Sarky wrote: »
    The skin cells are just expressing some genes more/less than other cells. Still genetically identical, and could probably be reset to "embryo mode" without too much trouble.

You can't turn an apple into an orange.

/bioinformatics

Linky?:pac:

The point is the skin cells aren't expressing the genes that have the potential to create a new human being. :)

Linky?:pac:

The point is the skin cells aren't expressing the genes that have the potential to create a new human being. :)

Neither are brain cells, but they're kind of a big deal when comes to being a new human being...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,941 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Good, let her fúck off to Fianna Fáil.

Good, let her fúck off to Fianna Fáil.

And be a Minister in the next Government?:p

Neither are brain cells, but they're kind of a big deal when comes to being a new human being...

Well if you can create a new human being from brain cells alone. . .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,941 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

And be a Minister in the next Government?:p

Fúck, I didn't think that through. :o

I heard >20 FG'ers are thinking of leaving the party if the suicide clause is left in, and that they're planning to set up a new party - the last thing this country needs is ANOTHER right-wing party. :(

• Advertisement

Fúck, I didn't think that through. :o

I heard >20 FG'ers are thinking of leaving the party if the suicide clause is left in, and that they're planning to set up a new party - the last thing this country needs is ANOTHER right-wing party. :(

Wonder if they will call it Fail Gael?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Pherekydes wrote: »
    I wonder does he think that all these people should have their names recorded and be given good Christian burials when they're spontaneously aborted?

Child benefit payments should start at conception in that case.

lazygal wrote: »
    Child benefit payments should start at conception in that case.

plus tax credits.

No to mention as soon as the sperm hits the egg they should get a PRSI number.

Well if you can create a new human being from brain cells alone. . .

Let me get back to you in a few years. I have no doubt it could be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,696 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Resign me b--l--ks, Enda should make an example of her and fire her, put the **** up the others, show her there's nothing worse than a Taoíseach scorned. I'd also keep an eye on Richard Bruton, given how John has been out and about on the issue.

Let me get back to you in a few years. I have no doubt it could be done.

Nor do I. Ahh science.
    *sighs affectionately*

Nor do I. Ahh science.
    *sighs affectionately*

Well, if 'God' had 'made' us out of brain cells and not dust and spare ribs what a wonderful world this would be.

Numpty.

Well, if 'God' had 'made' us out of brain cells and not dust and spare ribs what a wonderful world this would be.

Numpty.

Pretty sure that creating the universe has widely been considered to be a very bad move.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

The gist of it was 'vote against the suicide clause then ye gob****es and tear up the Constitution while ye are about it and we'll start all over again and maybe we will get it right this time. Shower of ***** who ***** and wouldn't know democracy if it ***** ****** in the ****. For **** sake!!!'
    Funny, Popette dropped by last week for the the Tooter "conference" on "What we owe Christianity".

She said pretty much the same thing, just from the other perspective.

A fun weekend was not had by many chez robindch.

• Advertisement

Pretty sure that creating the universe has widely been considered to be a very bad move.

It's a not so bad, it's a nice-a place.

Ah Shudduppa your face.

:pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement