Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abortion/ *Note* Thread Closing Shortly! ! !

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Every life it precious and deserving of our respect whether that life lasts a day, a year or a century.

That's not respect, if you bring a life into the world with the knowledge that its existence is going to be short and painful at the very most. That is selfish and an act of cruelty on something that has no understanding of the pain that it is going to experience.

• Moderators Posts: 51,792 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Every life it precious and deserving of our respect whether that life lasts a day, a year or a century.

so you would require pregnancy to continue just so it can die shortly after birth? What exactly is the purpose of that? It seems to me to be nothing short of inflicting pain/trauma on the pregnant woman.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

Medically and legally the termination of a pregnancy where there is not a baby at the end of the process is an abortion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 425 ✭✭Dreamertime

Corkfeen wrote: »
    That's not respect, if you bring a life into the world with the knowledge that its existence is going to be short and painful at the very most. That is selfish and an act of cruelty on something that has no understanding of the pain that it is going to experience.

I disagree.

koth wrote: »
    so you would require pregnancy to continue just so it can die shortly after birth?.

Absolutely.

The poor little mite will have a very short time in the arms of her parents and thanks to improved peri-natal hospice care can live her few hours free from pain.

• Advertisement

Absolutely.

The poor little mite will have a very short time in the arms of her parents and thanks to improved peri-natal hospice care can live her few hours free from pain.

Even though it's against the wishes of the pregnant woman?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

We can be thankful the very restrictive impositions on the suicide threat wil stop women feigning suicide from obtaining an abortion.

Because women will be queuing up to feign suicide (just a few cuts on the wrist - nothing painful like) to get an abortion.

Do you have any idea how disrespectful to women that remark is?
    Do you even care?

koth wrote: »
    Even though it's against the wishes of the pregnant woman?

If it comes to that, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Should we force the woman to hold the baby for the few hours as well or is that up to herself?

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Because women will be queuing up to feign suicide (just a few cuts on the wrist - nothing painful like) to get an abortion.

Do you have any idea how disrespectful to women that remark is?
    Do you even care?

I have no doubt some would have tried it on if Labour had their way and it was a liberal process.

The six doctor proposition should render this not being likely.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Absolutely.

Okay so no pain is experienced although I don't believe there is any perinatal hospices in Ireland. Why should anyone be forced to carry a child that mightn't survive child birth ? Even if it does, it will live a short and inexplicable life that includes their body shutting down. It will have no understanding of what it is experiencing and simply cease to exist. How is this is of any benefit for the baby? Pro-life groups always ramble about how there's two lives but there's a complete disregard for both of them when it comes to this subject.
    I have no doubt some would have tried it on if Labour had their way and it was a liberal process.

The six doctor proposition should render this not being likely.

A highly unethical methodology that labels women as liars and psychiatrists as incompetents. It's amazing that there's still people in this country that are proud of such roadblocks.

keane2097 wrote: »
    Should we force the woman to hold the baby for the few hours as well or is that up to herself?

All we can do is ensure the baby is cared for in her few hours on earth.

Now, third time. You have your X case legislation. Are ye happy now?

Corkfeen wrote: »
    Okay so no pain is experienced although I don't believe there is any perinatal hospices in Ireland. Why should anyone be forced to carry a child that mightn't survive child birth ? Even if it does, it will live a short and inexplicable life that includes their body shutting down. It will have no understanding of what it is experiencing and simply cease to exist. How is this is of any benefit for the baby? Pro-life groups always ramble about how there's two lives but there's a complete disregard for both of them when it comes to this subject.

Because that unborn baby has an equal right to life as you and I.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

All we can do is ensure the baby is cared for in her few hours on earth.

It's funny how as soon as the baby is born you suddenly lose interest in forcing people to look after it.

That's incredibly cruel :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Now that X will be legislated for in the near future.

What do you want now?
    How about not forcing victims of rape & incest to bear their rapist's child? Too "out there" an idea...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

keane2097 wrote: »
    It's funny how as soon as the baby is born you suddenly lose interest in forcing people to look after it.

Paraphrasing Reginald D Hunter here, but what the anti-choicers have to decide is when is it ok to start killing embryos? During religious wars? On a back street in some ghetto?

Hate to channel that Irish TD who says we all die sometime, but.... How precious is human life exactly Dreamertime??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

improved peri-natal hospice care can live her few hours free from pain.
    I really wish that were true. But medical science simply isn't at the stage where it can prevent all pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Folks!

Dreamer is off on holiday (Not to Granada!). He won't be around to reply to your posts. Just thought I'd let you know.
    Sweet dreams.

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭Kiwi in IE

I'm delighted you guys are so furious about this! Right! What are we going to do about it? I've had enough. I may not be Irish but my son is, and I don't want him brought up in a non secular religious society! I did have a choice to move here and I made it willingly, but the more I find out the extent of religious influence in the institutions of this country, the more my choices come down to 'go home' or 'stay here and fight it'! Putting up with it quietly is becoming a non option. We have made a commitment to stay here so I am going to have to fight it. I am not the most intelligent or highly educated person in the world. Just a nurse and a mum. I have no real idea about law or politics, but am willing to learn. I'm not sure where to start or what to do, but am getting more and more motivated to do something bigger than just writing letters to the newspaper, complaining in here, and donating money to gay rights organisations. I don't know where to start. I contacted the Irish Human Rights commission about the school situation and they advised me to put it to them in writing (which admittedly I havn't done yet). There must be plenty of people out there who think similarly to us? The influence of the RCC needs to be removed from the constitution and all state institutions as soon as possible. Is it possible for like minded people to pull together and achieve this in some way?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

Kiwi in IE wrote: »
    I'm delighted you guys are so furious about this! Right! What are we going to do about it? I've had enough. I may not be Irish but my son is, and I don't want him brought up in a non secular religious society! I did have a choice to move here and I made it willingly, but the more I find out the extent of religious influence in the institutions of this country, the more my choices come down to 'go home' or 'stay here and fight it'! Putting up with it quietly is becoming a non option. We have made a commitment to stay here so I am going to have to fight it. I am not the most intelligent or highly educated person in the world. Just a nurse and a mum. I have no real idea about law or politics, but am willing to learn. I'm not sure where to start or what to do, but am getting more and more motivated to do something bigger than just writing letters to the newspaper, complaining in here, and donating money to gay rights organisations. I don't know where to start. I contacted the Irish Human Rights commission about the school situation and they advised me to put it to them in writing (which admittedly I havn't done yet). There must be plenty of people out there who think similarly to us? The influence of the RCC needs to be removed from the constitution and all state institutions as soon as possible. Is it possible for like minded people to pull together and achieve this in some way?

This will never stand, European court will rule it is so onerous as to be not fulfilling Supreme Court requirement. I wouldn't be surprised if the Supreme court itself did so before that.

Abortion is an evil stain on humanity.

No that's religion.

Aw I came in too late to argue with Dreamertime. Why'd you have to go and spoil my fun Jernal? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Aw I came in too late to argue with Dreamertime. Why'd you have to go and spoil my fun Jernal? ;)

I'm a sour grape.
    You're free to reply to his comments if you wish. (Please use Multiquote :p) Just don't expect him to write back.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,634 ✭✭✭✭28064212

marienbad wrote: »
    This will never stand, European court will rule it is so onerous as to be not fulfilling Supreme Court requirement. I wouldn't be surprised if the Supreme court itself did so before that.
    The Supreme Court can't do anything without a hard case, and such instances are vanishingly rare. Even moreso since they will just use the "Irish Solution" (the UK), rather than subject themselves to the public scrutiny (and in some cases, vitriol) that such a case would undoubtedly bring

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

Jernal I don't know HOW to use multiquote! I'm sorry. I've tried. I'm always on boards on my phone and I can't work it out. Maybe I'll go off now and look for directions:(

I HATE reading instructions! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭StudentDad

I'm just waiting for the case that comes before the European Court of Justice that basically tells Ireland to implement certain legislation - regardless of our constitution. I don't know if it'll be on the subject of abortion or gay rights. It will be a fundamental human rights issue. I know the court promised to recognise the core law of member states but .....

SD

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭_rebelkid

I think it took most of us all of 3 seconds to see who was actually "dreaming" in the land of babylust...

I think Prime Time are doing a bit on the lack of provision for Fatal Foetal Abnormalities in the Bill. Could be interesting.

• Advertisement

Jernal wrote: »
    I'm a sour grape.
    You're free to reply to his comments if you wish. (Please use Multiquote :p) Just don't expect him to write back.:)
    Jernal I don't know HOW to use multiquote! I'm sorry. I've tried. I'm always on boards on my phone and I can't work it out. Maybe I'll go off now and look for directions:(

I HATE reading instructions! ;)

I guess it pays off though!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement