Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abortion/ *Note* Thread Closing Shortly! ! !

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

By the way, I was just browsing the Prison forum whoever guessed that Dreamertime was Silvio... They were correct. :pac:
    StudentDad wrote: »
    Yep we live in a very conservative country and the govt. is bound by an equally conservative constitution.

SD

To be fair, the constitution is supposed to be a living document so it can adapt for the times. It's just unfortunate that even when it's amended, our government attempts to limit any real growth in our laws if there's any chance it may provoke controversy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,696 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Well that was an interesting debate on the Pat Kenny (radio) show. Meantime now the head of the RC Church in Ireland is giving his views live on air on RTE radio news on the proposed legislation and all it includes, including his views on those who are to vote on it. He claim's that the legislation will have a contrary effect on those RC staffing Hospitals here, reducing their religious-belief rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

robindch wrote: »
    The amount of time being spent on this debate in the media, the faux "balance" achieved by lazy types who allow YD, the Tooters and the black and pink-clad sausage-fest that is the church, and the whole grizzled, arrogant, soulless, cold and intemperate dishonesty of the no-side -- quite separate from any opinions that one might have one way or the other -- really makes me want to abandon the country and bang the dust from my shoes while leaving.

When will this all end?!

Media are terrified of accusations of bias and being sued. A well funded pro life group could potentially bring them a lot of pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,941 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

The problem with removing the 8th Amendment, as odious as it is, is that as someone else has outlined (probably oldrnwisr) that leaves us vulnerable to a, let's just say, Lucinda Creighton-led government that makes all abortions illegal. Our political leaders are from a generation when we all bowed to the tyranny of the Church.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭StudentDad

Corkfeen wrote: »
    By the way, I was just browsing the Prison forum whoever guessed that Dreamertime was Silvio... They were correct. :pac:

To be fair, the constitution is supposed to be a living document so it can adapt for the times. It's just unfortunate that even when it's amended, our government attempts to limit any real growth in our laws if there's any chance it may provoke controversy.

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Recommendation+to+legalize+abortion+approved.+(European+Union).-a099289900

Just adding that link here. Added it to my earlier post. Times are changing in Europe and although our constitution needs to be flexible, this country just might be overtaken by wider European social change.

SD

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

Was just watching that Primetime on the Player. I was nearly crying through the whole thing.
    It reminds me of a while back at a mothers group and one woman knew a woman going through the exact same thing(ie baby had anencephaly). She decided to go to Liverpool. This one woman announced to the whole group that it was wrong and she should carry the baby full term because that is what she would do. She compared having two miscarriages with have a diagnosis of anencephaly (actually said "I have had two miscarriages so I know what I am talking about"). She was very aggressive and anyone who tried to voice a different opinion was told we must respect life and God doesn't create life without a purpose.

It makes me very sad to see such lack of empathy.

If we didn't have England to fall back on we would be in some trouble as a country (infanticide and self induced abortions were not uncommon occurrences in good old Catholic Ireland going back 100 yrs ago)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

aloyisious wrote: »
    Well that was an interesting debate on the Pat Kenny (radio) show. Meantime now the head of the RC Church in Ireland is giving his views live on air on RTE radio news on the proposed legislation and all it includes, including his views on those who are to vote on it. He claim's that the legislation will have a contrary effect on those RC staffing Hospitals here, reducing their religious-belief rights.

I nearly vomited on my ironing listen to that hypocrite banning on about cherishing and protecting life - pity he didn't think of that when protecting child abusers.

Seriously, how can people listen to this sanctimonious crap and not remember he did feck all to protect actual already out of the womb children from being raped? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭StudentDad

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    I nearly vomited on my ironing listen to that hypocrite banning on about cherishing and protecting life - pity he didn't think of that when protecting child abusers.

Seriously, how can people listen to this sanctimonious crap and not remember he did feck all to protect actual already out of the womb children from being raped? :confused:

This falls into the classic - do as we say - nevermind what we do attitude.

SD

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

mohawk wrote: »
    Was just watching that Primetime on the Player. I was nearly crying through the whole thing.
    It reminds me of a while back at a mothers group and one woman knew a woman going through the exact same thing(ie baby had anencephaly). She decided to go to Liverpool. This one woman announced to the whole group that it was wrong and she should carry the baby full term because that is what she would do. She compared having two miscarriages with have a diagnosis of anencephaly (actually said "I have had two miscarriages so I know what I am talking about"). She was very aggressive and anyone who tried to voice a different opinion was told we must respect life and God doesn't create life without a purpose.

It makes me very sad to see such lack of empathy.

If we didn't have England to fall back on we would be in some trouble as a country (infanticide and self induced abortions were not uncommon occurrences in good old Catholic Ireland going back 100 yrs ago)

If we didn't have England to fall back on there would have been change years ago.

marienbad wrote: »
    If we didn't have England to fall back on there would have been change years ago.

said Dermot MacMurrough.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

The anti-choice crowd on Twitter are trying to use the #KillBill hashtag. With predictable results. They're right about Uma Thurman being hawt, at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    said Dermot MacMurrough.

And the army 0f 150 k women who have taken that boat and plane to England. If we didn't have such a convenient and anonymous escape valve there would have been change long ago.

marienbad wrote: »
    And the army 0f 150 k women who have taken that boat and plane to England. If we didn't have such a convenient and anonymous escape valve there would have been change long ago.

and in the 80s it was legions of lesbians and gay men...of which I was one.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Didn't exactly take divine inspiration to guess.
    keane2097 wrote: »
    Does anyone not think Dreamertime is Silvio Dante?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

keane2097 wrote: »
    Didn't exactly take divine inspiration to guess.

1292223254212-dumpfm-mario-Obamaclap.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Preferably if anyone has suspicions of a user please PM the mods or report the posts as we may not see it in thread. :)
    Truth be told Nodin deserves a lot of commendation here. He reported the posts and his suspicions by even comparing two posts from different accounts.

Prefect Badge for Nodin.:)

Luckily there was one poster who never lost his mistrust.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Transcript of Prime Time, featuring a woman whose unborn was diagnosed with anencephaly and another guest who was a "pro-life" weapon.

May want to leave the crisps on the desk for parts of this

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2013/05/03/where-is-your-decency/

The scariest thing about that vile old wagon is that her anti-choice group thought she was the reasonable face that should speak in public for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Sierra 117

How is she a doctor? How can anyone who comes up with such utter ****e be a doctor? Post-birth abortions? Absolutely mind-boggling.

• Advertisement

Sierra 117 wrote: »
    How is she a doctor? How can anyone who comes up with such utter ****e be a doctor? Post-birth abortions? Absolutely mind-boggling.

Learn it off and repeat it back?

Whatever the American extrimist loonies are shouting the week before, usually. There's a depressingly predictable pattern, if you have a look across a whole bunch of news outlets and social media.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Nodin wrote: »
    Transcript of Prime Time, featuring a woman whose unborn was diagnosed with anencephaly and another guest who was a "pro-life" weapon.

May want to leave the crisps on the desk for parts of this

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2013/05/03/where-is-your-decency/

What a vile and despicable person.

I actually feel sick reading that.

She's just so ****ing horrible. How could anyone be like that?

Loss for words..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭krankykitty

I was appalled reading that. Truly horrendous. A perinatal hospice? Fair enough if that's something you want to do, but to remove the choice for women such as this is just horribly cruel. We all know they don't care about women's wellbeing anyway, but in this case proposing a poor baby be born to die, in what could be awful pain for all we know. All so they can keep their no abortion in Ireland status quo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Just watched the Prime Time segment. Apparently everywhere in Europe besides Ireland and Malta have no respect for life. She was horrible to that woman even though she said she wished no bad will upon her. Seriously, some of these people appear to have no empathy whatsoever. The constant rubbish that they spout is really beginning to piss me off.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Yeah queasiness was the overriding feeling while reading the transcript there. Horrible stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bobby42

Its so unbelievably removed from human emotion.

I saw someone tweet youth defence a video of birth of a baby with anencephaly.

I actually couldn't press play, the unimaginable horror. Imagine being forced to carry a baby to term, in some hospice? And if the mother doesn't do this, she doesn't value her child?

It beyond sick. Its completely devoid of all reason, humanity and morality.

Imagine being forced to give birth to a baby without a brain and then keeping the baby alive until it naturally dies. That is just unimaginable horror.

I cant express how angry this sick and twisted view of life makes me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

Bobby42 wrote: »
    I cant express how angry this sick and twisted view of life makes me.

Express it in cold, hard and calculated organisation. I was in trouble yesterday with the sadness that comes from feeling helpless. Now I'm mobilising the troops. Get to it peeps.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭swampgas

Morag wrote: »
    I reckon it will take another 20 years, we need a certain generation to die out and for those who are of the generations younger to start making political change.
    That's what I thought 20 years ago. :-/
    Maybe we need another revolution - the last one hasn't worked out so well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

Bobby42 wrote: »
    Imagine being forced to give birth to a baby without a brain and then keeping the baby alive until it naturally dies. That is just unimaginable horror.

I followed the blog of a young woman who did this a year or two back. It was unimaginably horrible. The child stayed alive long past expectations. In that time both mother and child (and grandmother) had no quality of life whatsoever. The mother was constantly suctioning saliva from the child's mouth and feeding him through a tube.

She believed it was God's plan for her.

That sad thing, the child's father was her married pastor, who'd knocked her up then had her excluded from the community and church to try to hide it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement