Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abortion/ *Note* Thread Closing Shortly! ! !

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Speaking of Lucinda

From an open letter by Angela Coraccio
    You mention that we live in a “free” society here in Ireland while simultaneously trying to argue that women shouldn’t be allowed to have bodily autonomy, which in my opinion is the most basic human right there is.
    http://www.broadsheet.ie/2013/05/09/dear-lucinda/?fb_action_ids=10200528121058093&fb_action_types=og.likes&fb_source=other_multiline&action_object_map=%7B%2210200528121058093%22%3A644135298945340%7D&action_type_map=%7B%2210200528121058093%22%3A%22og.likes%22%7D&action_ref_map=%5B%5D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

http://www.imt.ie/news/latest-news/2013/05/gps-pass-abortion-motions.html

The doctors for choice motions which failed at the IMO convention will be put to the Irish College of General Practitioners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭GCU Flexible Demeanour

Morag wrote: »

The doctors for choice motions which failed at the IMO convention will be put to the Irish College of General Practitioners.
    There's something about Doctors for Spoof that's just downright wrong.
    “The motions came up before the Cork City Faculty of the ICGP three weeks ago and they were all passed by a large majority. They were passed by 32-to-10 votes, 35-to-11 votes… that type of thing,” Dr Favier commented.
    That type of thing? WTF does that mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

There's something about Doctors for Spoof that's just downright wrong.That type of thing? WTF does that mean?

It's Cork, like, don't expect stuff spoken down there to make sense.

The following may or may not help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

Not helping, but thanks for the head wreck :P

• Advertisement

Jernal wrote: »

I don't understand what the problem is like. :confused:

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    I don't understand what the problem is like. :confused:

Ah bhoi Bann :P

Obliq wrote: »
    Ah bhoi Bann :P

Chalk it down girl!

*pedant* And it's bhai *pedant*

Damn my Clare accent....:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Despite my username, I feel like an outcast from Corkonian slang and culture... Don't even have the accent :( Perhaps that is a good thing...

• Advertisement

Corkfeen wrote: »
    Despite my username, I feel like an outcast from Corkonian slang and culture... :(

I must admit that as a south-sider born, bred and rared I have great difficulty in understand a word my North sider brother-in-law says - this may be the reason we get on very well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Living on the north bank of the river, I am treated daily to northsiders walking past my sitting-room window and chatting in what I can only assume is some kind of binary chatter combined with a musical.

Sarky wrote: »
    Living on the north bank of the river, I am treated daily to northsiders walking past my sitting-room window and chatting in what I can only assume is some kind of binary chatter combined with a musical.

OH is from county Cork...sometimes not a word spoken by either of us is understood by the other...

Although my vowel sounds have been modified by years of living in the UK and having appeared on the BBC where one is permitted a hint of a regional accent but just a hint. I call it the Yew-Cee-Cee accent.

• Moderators Posts: 51,792 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Morag wrote: »

via Broadsheet.ie
    The Cork GP Faculty of the ICGP (Irish College of General Practitioners) has unanimously voted in favour of all three abortion motions defeated only last month at the IMO’s AGM, Irish Medical Times has learned. The Faculty is now proposing them at the ICGP AGM this weekend in Galway and is confident of getting them passed. Cork GP Dr Mary Favier, who is a founding member of reproductive rights campaigning organisation Doctors for Choice, last week told IMT that the Faculty was proposing roughly the same three motions debated at the IMO AGM.

If you can read this, you're too close!

koth wrote: »

What would be the odds of this not being headline news like the IMO one was?
    Edit : (Assuming they pass in Galway.)

• Moderators Posts: 51,792 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

What would be the odds of this not being headline news like the IMO one was?

Damn liberal bias!! :rolleyes:

If you can read this, you're too close!

Guess my dad was right. The IMO really doesn't speak for most medical professionals in the country. I wonder if he was also right in describing them as a "useless pack of shaggin' ****."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    I must admit that as a south-sider born, bred and rared I have great difficulty in understand a word my North sider brother-in-law says - this may be the reason we get on very well.
    Sarky wrote: »

I initially thought ye were developing a contemporary version of 'The Banks of My Only Lovely Lee'. But now i'm just reading your posts in tune with the below video.

You leave the Cuckoo's Nest charter where it is!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

I am allergic after reading that

• Advertisement

It might, but I think that the gap in the figures mean we're more in the realms of quantum mechanics. Let's look at that story again
    http://www.imt.ie/news/latest-news/2013/05/gps-pass-abortion-motions.html#

The Cork GP Faculty of the ICGP has unanimously voted in favour of all three abortion motions defeated only last month at the IMO’s AGM, Irish Medical Times has learned.<...>

“The motions came up before the Cork City Faculty of the ICGP three weeks ago and they were all passed by a large majority. They were passed by 32-to-10 votes, 35-to-11 votes… that type of thing,” Dr Favier commented.
    I've a feeling it might be more like Watership Down, where the rabbits can't cope with any number larger than four and refer to any quantity of five and over as "hrair".

It might, but I think that the gap in the figures mean we're more in the realms of quantum mechanics. Let's look at that story againI've a feeling it might be more like Watership Down, where the rabbits can't cope with any number larger than four and refer to any quantity of five and over as "hrair".

I'm not sure what your point is here. The author of the IMT piece isn't affiliated with Doctor for Choice (as far as I know).
    The quotation is basically of someone recalling a set of statistics. Quite a difficult feat to do.

So, poor choice of words maybe but some people associate unanimous colloquially with majority consent. "Irregardless" should illustrate the point. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,498 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I take this as her saying that she is confident she will get her own way and the legislation will be changed to suit them. Then she can vote yes on it.

The legislation is as it was always going to be and won't be changed significantly at committee. I see this as Lucinda finally emerging victorious from her long and very public wrestling match with her conscience.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

I see Cardinal Sean O'Malley (of the Boston fairytaleists) has said he will boycott the Boston College graduation because Taoiseach Enda Kenny will be addressing the graduates.

Boo-bloody-hoo!!!

I'm not sure what your point is here. The author of the IMT piece isn't affiliated with Doctor for Choice (as far as I know).
    The quotation is basically of someone recalling a set of statistics. Quite a difficult feat to do.

So, poor choice of words maybe but some people associate unanimous colloquially with majority consent. "Irregardless" should illustrate the point. :)
    Similarly, I can remember Mrs Slocombe on "Are You Being Served" confidently asserting "I am unanimous in this", if she was trying to dig her heels in.

All I'm really doing is drawing attention to obvious flaws in the story. You're right, the journo may be the one who is "unanimous" about the whole topic. For my own point, I think the journo did (an unconscious) service by reporting the airy, Father Tedish, "that type of thing".

For my own part, I'd expect that getting 30 GPs to agree to something in Cork is probably an achievement. In all seriousness, while I've no idea how many GPs practice in Cork City, it can't be more than 100. So it would actually be quite a significant proportion of the total number.

It's probably about the same as the proportion of Irish psychiatrists who agree that abortion isn't really a treatment for suicide. And, sure, wouldn't we extend the same magnanimity in excusing any huffing and puffing expended in bringing that finding to public attention.

The legislation is as it was always going to be and won't be changed significantly at committee. I see this as Lucinda's pension finally emerging victorious from her long and very public wrestling match with her conscience.

Fixed that for ya. ;)

Similarly, I can remember Mrs Slocombe on "Are You Being Served" confidently asserting "I am unanimous in this", if she was trying to dig her heels in.

All I'm really doing is drawing attention to obvious flaws in the story. You're right, the journo may be the one who is "unanimous" about the whole topic. For my own point, I think the journo did (an unconscious) service by reporting the airy, Father Tedish, "that type of thing".

For my own part, I'd expect that getting 30 GPs to agree to something in Cork is probably an achievement. In all seriousness, while I've no idea how many GPs practice in Cork City, it can't be more than 100. So it would actually be quite a significant proportion of the total number.

It's probably about the same as the proportion of Irish psychiatrists who agree that abortion isn't really a treatment for suicide. And, sure, wouldn't we extend the same magnanimity in excusing any huffing and puffing expended in bringing that finding to public attention.

*Engage pedant alert* There are at least 109 practices -some of which will have more than one GP *pedant alert over*
    http://www.whatclinic.com/doctors/ireland/county-cork/cork

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

koth wrote: »

From the comments:
    "Maybe the ICGP managed to avoid last minute registrations of phantom members that would vanish a couple of days later."

Really shows up how much of a farce that IMO vote was.

Galvasean wrote: »
    From the comments:
    "Maybe the ICGP managed to avoid last minute registrations of phantom members that would vanish a couple of days later."

Really shows up how much of a farce that IMO vote was.

Like a certain survey of psychiatrists. . .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭HurtLocker

Can I ask why the title includes "Bob marleys view on religion"?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement