Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abortion/ *Note* Thread Closing Shortly! ! !

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/0613/456422-abortion-legislation-tds/

"Mr Halligan said one TD received a threat that her throat would be cut."

I'M SO PRO LIFE I'LL SLIT YOUR THROAT

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

mohawk wrote: »

This is my favorite comment as I have maintained for years that there is always an evil twin.
    I did actually ask someone on the other forum what the story was with ensoulment for twins, I did not get an answer.

I can only assume that, like gingers, the second foetus does not have a soul.

MrP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭GCU Flexible Demeanour

MrPudding wrote: »
    I did actually ask someone on the other forum what the story was with ensoulment for twins, I did not get an answer.

I can only assume that, like gingers, the second foetus does not have a soul.

MrP
    Tragically, I was an only twin.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,940 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

AndyMc wrote: »
    I wasnt sure about the Seanad until I remember that thats where she is.

The problem is, even if you vote to scrap the Seanad it won't be scrapped immediately. Personally I'd prefer if Senators were elected according to a "list" system.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,919 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

MrPudding wrote: »

What about Irish Twins?*

*children from separate pregnancies but born in the same calendar year :eek:

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

koth wrote: »
    via Facebook (which was supposedly via RTE).
    From here:

http://www.thejournal.ie/gilmore-i-will-not-condemn-the-catholic-church-or-any-other-church-949169-Jun2013/
    [...the Catholic Church is....] non democratic, anti-democratic, historically anti-woman and has the most dreadful record of child protection and has no right to be this country’s moral compass or to lecture anyone on human rights… I myself have subject to abuse. I have even had people come to my house after 12 o’clock at night. There have been several serious cases of verbal abuse aimed at TDs. Some have been ambushed outside of their house, they have been spat at, they have been threatened that there house will be burned down and one has even been threatened with having her throat cut.
    It is my view that the Catholic Church, all churches and every citizen of this state have every right to state their point of view to government on any issue that is of public importance.
    Gilmore's correct, of course, but at the same time, you'd want to have a very short memory indeed to want to listen to any of the church's moral posturing.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 _Myg

aloyisious wrote: »
    @ Mig:

Your quote: Agenda's like the murderous abortion one being proposed here will feed highly fearing and impressionable women; with no faith or direction, who feel like they have no where to turn. Why? Because fear and murder are the two best bedfellows.....................

Would I be wrong in supposing you feel that the odd blood sacrifice of a woman is well worth the price of feeling good?

As as man is expected to give his life for a woman, a woman is expected to give her life for her children. Nothing in that situation should make anyone feel good, we are all scared of dying, but our natural order of self has to be preserved in order to preserve the rest of our humanity. In reality, that is the only gift we have.

aloyisious If all you see are simple, childish, fed emotions then I suppose you look for said feeling in the situation. Although you have not stated wether you are for abortion (murder) or not, I suppose that very desire for blood is what drives people to think that murder is ok and thus is why abortion exists in the first place. Sort of satanic, no?

From what I have read, most people here seem to look at all this as some sort of video game to be won, and prizes and high scores all around. This is a sad, sick state of affairs and the general lack of view clarity caused by the very limiting and damaging perception that people accuse others of is actually infesting the minds the very one's who say someone else is doing so. Otherwise we would not see the words "foetus" as an escape from the reality of the life and humanity of the person behind the word.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

You're starting to sound familiar. I'm sure it's just a coincidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

_Myg wrote: »
    As as man is expected to give his life for a woman, a woman is expected to give her life for her children.

By whom?
    For any woman?

'Expected' doesn't quite have the force of law behind it. Should we have a Referendum to have a clause inserted stating that Men must give their lives up for women?

That would have interesting repercussions...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,940 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

As as man is expected to give his life for a woman, a woman is expected to give her life for her children. Nothing in that situation should make anyone feel good, we are all scared of dying, but our natural order of self has to be preserved in order to preserve the rest of our humanity. In reality, that is the only gift we have.

What. The. Fuck.

Why should a woman be left to die if she's pregnant? And what if that pregnant woman has other children?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

I'm never getting married if that's true, it's a harsh expectation that I'm supposed to be willing to die for my wife...... They should definitely mention that on dating sites terms and conditions or even as part of prerequisites for marriage......

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

That is completely and utterly repulsive.

"A TD has told the Dáil that there has been widespread intimidation of deputies in recent weeks over the Protection of Life during Pregnancy Bill.

Independent TD John Halligan also condemned the Catholic Church over its efforts to influence TDs to vote against the legislation.

He said that he along with many other TDs have been subjected to abuse in recent weeks by a number of those who oppose the bill.

Politicians have been spat at and people have been calling to their homes after midnight.

There have also been threats to burn TDs' houses, he said.

Mr Halligan said one TD received a threat that her throat would be cut.

The TD also rounded on the Catholic Church, accusing it of being non-democratic and historically anti-woman.

The church had no right to be the State's moral compass, he said.

It was in no position to lecture anyone on human rights, given what he said was its dreadful record on child protection."

- One thing about issues as tense as this, infact most issues; as well, it attracts the people who think they are pro-life, but are actually not. You will find this on both sides of the fence here. They are simply shameless shills and emotional saboteurs who will sit there, waiting for a chance to prove the other side's cause.

- I don't know if its a politician's right to privacy or not, is there some law which prevents people who serve the greater good of the public from being bothered at the late hours? The rest of us don't seem to have that luxury, and we don't even claim to be serving others in such an official and supported manner. If your boss tells you at 2am you gotta do something, if you want to keep your job; you better do it! That's the different between serving others and being served.

- Democracy is only a governmental scheme, they come and go and evolve in time, the british governmental scheme came and went, and so will the democratic, in time; rise and fall to something new. The church itself isn't exactly a nationalistic entity, so if it decides that it wants to re-assert what is right/wrong, it doesn't mean its anti-democratic, but to say "anti-woman" as well; thats hurtful. The secular world will/would do much worse to women if they had their way and they are starting to gain much more ground on that regard in the manner of controlling and perverting people's upbringing.

- The people chose the church as a way of preserving themselves in the face of adversity, on the surface, and now that adversity is generally gone (for the time being) so people don't feel the need for it anymore. Of course they are trying to be the moral compass, because laws come from morality, not the other way around.

- So, just because the church believes in second chances and mercy for all, protecting child molesters, means you can go ahead down this road toward murdering children? While it is true that living with the reality of being abused is worse then death for some; and this may be a standard to how all abused people feel, there is never a cause to further destruction because of destruction.

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    By whom?
    For any woman?

'Expected' doesn't quite have the force of law behind it. Should we have a Referendum to have a clause inserted stating that Men must give their lives up for women?

That would have interesting repercussions...

What do you think would happen if you walked away from your wife or girlfriend who was in clearly in mortal danger?

*IF* this is who I think it is, it really is a new low.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-22867608
    Irish government ministers are being sent soiled nappies in the post.

The packages, addressed to ministers, have been intercepted at Leinster House, Dublin, where the parliament is situated.

It is understood they are being intercepted by security scanners and are being dumped in the bin rather than being opened or passed to the ministers' offices.

It is not known why the packages are being sent.

It is understood the practice started in the past fortnight.

Ten nappies arrived on Tuesday.

A spokeswoman for Leinster House said they had no comment for security reasons.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

What do you think would happen if you walked away from your wife or girlfriend who was in clearly in mortal danger?

I don't have a wife. The Catholic Church has, up until now, managed to lobby my government and prevent me having a wife. I do have an OH and she doesn't have a wife either for exactly the same reason.

A better example would be:

Husband and wife trapped in a car - only one can be rescued in time. The man must die even if it is unlikely the woman will survive. The important thing however is because she is still alive she must be the priority. It's the law.

Popcorn.gif

Sorry, on my phone. Oh btw Jernal is awesome!

What. The. Fuck.

Why should a woman be left to die if she's pregnant? And what if that pregnant woman has other children?

Even with all our medicine and augmenting tech, sometimes we just can't save everyone. Its better to accept it then to over-react and try to make the situation worse. If we could save everyone, there would be no issue; right? :)

There was a wife in mortal danger in a Galway hospital, her doctors effectively walked away from her, and nothing has happened to them.

ninja900 wrote: »
    *IF* this is who I think it is, it really is a new low.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-22867608

Are you thinking Youth Defence? I'm thinking Youth Defence.

• Advertisement

That is completely and utterly repulsive.

The natural order isn't always beautiful and clean; but we try, right?

Even with all our medicine and augmenting tech, sometimes we just can't save everyone. Its better to accept it then to over-react and try to make the situation worse. If we could save everyone, there would be no issue; right? :)

Ah, the 'Collateral Damage' argument.

also a variation on the "Better to die than 'sin'" fetish for martyrs so beloved of the Vatican. Doesn't matter if the woman had a choice about whether she wants to die or not. What is important is that she doesn't sin.

TBH - ye can take yere aul sins and shove them where the scapulars don't itch.

ninja900 wrote: »
    There was a wife in mortal danger in a Galway hospital, her doctors effectively walked away from her, and nothing has happened to them.

Then lobby to go after them and leave the innocent ones alone, if you care so much. The state knows how to punish others and does it well, if that's what you are looking for.

Question is, did they use their own sh1t or did they steal the sh1t of unwilling babies and/or toddlers as unwilling participants in their protest? They should'nt be throwing these in the bin, they should be getting DNA and nailing these perps.

Imagine finding out years later that your mammy sent a bag full of your sh1te to Enda Kenny.

This'd be god's natural order you're capping on, yeah? If he were real, he'd probably be insulted.

Sarky wrote: »
    Are you thinking Youth Defence? I'm thinking Youth Defence.

Or possibly it's some-people-who-work-in-the-same-general-location-but-have-absolutely-nothing-to-do-with Youth Defence...

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Or possibly it's some-people-who-work-in-the-same-general-location-but-have-absolutely-nothing-to-do-with Youth Defence...

Maybe they got David Quinn to talk into a box of Pampers for 5 minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Well if you want to follow the natural order, you should never avail of medical treatments of any kind. Seriously, your opinion is completely deluded and warped beyond reason. The person who is carrying the baby should be given the option to be the priority in terms of life, if you refuse to give them that choice, you're dictating their right to live. And you call yourself pro-life?

Corkfeen wrote: »
    Well if you want to follow the natural order, you should never avail of medical treatments of any kind.

He probably doesn't. All drugs are harmful, remember? All of them. Without exception. He told me as much via PM.

• Advertisement

I'm blaming the I-can't-believe-it's-not-Youth-Defence-Institute.
    Then lobby to go after them and leave the innocent ones alone, if you care so much. The state knows how to punish others and does it well, if that's what you are looking for.

Them = doctors? On one hand YDFTEA* think they're saints and the most wonderful doctors making Irish mammies the most blessed in the world, on the other they say they're just itching to abort all humanity left right and centre.

Innocent ones = the ickle baybeees who will kill their mammy if we leave them grow but we can't blame them shure theyre ickle baybeeees and don't know and not to blame and no original sin til they're born and let god decide.

Gotcha.

Shure it's what wimmim signed up to when they either consented to sex. Or were raped. Either way. It's all good. god will decide.

*Yuff Defenz, Fellow Travellers, Et Al. Or can we call them the People's Front of Youth Defence.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement