Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abortion/ *Note* Thread Closing Shortly! ! !

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

_Myg wrote: »
    Murder is never necessary.

We should use our words instead of hurting others

• Registered Users Posts: 47 _Myg

Pherekydes wrote: »
    English please?

Gobbledegook isn't my first language...

Basically, people use the word "foetus" because it refers to a developmental stage in life of a human being, as a means of defining that person. Its similar to the usage of "clump of cells", which is a more accurate description of a growth of bacteria on a nutrient layer in a petri dish for secondary school biology, then a human being.

Its the same way the Nazi and Soviets, as well as other regieme's in the past were able to get people to murder others, because the name was only given as a shallow explanation of the person's existence. The source of this kind of terminology usage is deeply rooted in war propaganda in general as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,919 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Right so, let the foetus live just long enough until it kills itself and its mother.

Barbaric.

If abortion is murder, why aren't women who miscarried investigated as murder suspects? I should caution you, my wife has had three miscarriages. But no death certificate, no funeral, no pack drill, because they're not really lives until Youth Defence say they are.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

And bam! Godwinned.

Tell us more about how we're all like the Nazis, _Myg. I seem to recall they actually had the Catholic Church on their side.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

ninja900 wrote: »
    I should caution you, my wife has had three miscarriages. But no death certificate, no funeral, no pack drill, .

Your wife is a Ninja though.

• Advertisement

Sarky wrote: »
    Ah, no sex until you say so. Or until the husband wants it anyway. Don't think you're helping your case, here...

Last time I checked, it was the woman's right to say yes/no to a marriage proposal.

Last time I checked, it was the woman's right to say yes/no to a marriage proposal.

But not to deny sex to the man after getting married? Nice one.

You might check a little further back while you're at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Basically, people use the word "foetus" because it refers to a developmental stage in life of a human being, as a means of defining that person. Its similar to the usage of "clump of cells", which is a more accurate description of a growth of bacteria on a nutrient layer in a petri dish for secondary school biology, then a human being.

Its the same way the Nazi and Soviets, as well as other regieme's in the past were able to get people to murder others, because the name was only given as a shallow explanation of the person's existence. The source of this kind of terminology usage is deeply rooted in war propaganda in general as well.

A zygote is not a human being. An embryo is not a human being. Most abortions happen during these stages of development. They don't even reach the fetal stage. And most abortions happen spontaneously. The "pro-lifers" never seem too bothered by those ones. Are they not murdered, presumably by god?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Please forgive me, I had meant that spiritual values had nothing to do with the value's women had placed on each other in the down talk of one having sex vs the other not, because someone with spiritual values would not look for such an opportunity to provide a level of domination over the other. Unless they were really close with the person and knew it would be good for them to understand that it is better to stay away from such acts until the appropriate situation.

What? :confused:

I think it's a don't have sex until you are ready married but there is some bizarre reference to domination...don't have S&M sex until married???:confused:

Women sit around discussing whether or not they intend to have sex or wait til they are ready married???:confused:

Yea - if they are about 17 (ok...16....) or living in the 1950s.

I'm sorry but I am really having a hard time understanding what you are talking about.

BTW - are you male or female?

Right so, let the foetus live just long enough until it kills itself and its mother.

Barbaric.

If abortion is murder, why aren't women who miscarried investigated as murder suspects? I should caution you, my wife has had three miscarriages. But no death certificate, no funeral, no pack drill, because they're not really lives until Youth Defence say they are.

Because miscarriages aren't murder unless women are consciously able to do such a thing.

• Advertisement

But not to deny sex to the man after getting married? Nice one.

You might check a little further back while you're at it.

I never said that, you did.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

Barbaric.

Still birth certs are only issued at and after 24 weeks gestation.

I never said that, you did.

You never said which gender you are either....

Your reluctance makes me think male.

Jernal wrote: »
    Your wife is a Ninja though.

No she isn't, and neither am I, but I do own a Kawasaki GPz900R Ninja motorcycle.

Thank you for playing 'spontaneous abortion sensitivity 101'.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

Rule#1 of being a ninja : Never admit to anyone EVER that you're a Ninja.

And bam! Godwinned.

Tell us more about how we're all like the Nazis, _Myg. I seem to recall they actually had the Catholic Church on their side.

Actually, I am more like the Nazi's then you are, you are just a victim of a system that exists for its own purposes and doesn't really care about you. It tells you that you should close your mind because one person said so, it tells you that emotions are more important then humanity, it tells you that the latest car is more important then your financial stability.

It lies, and it always will.

Actually, I am more like the Nazi's then you are, you are just a victim of a system that exists for own purposes and doesn't really care about you. It tells you that you should close your mind because one person said so, it tells you that emotions are more important then humanity, it tells you that the latest car is more important then your financial stability.

Dude, what are talking about? I haven't been Catholic in years.

Actually, I am more like the Nazi's then you are, you are just a victim of a system that exists for own purposes and doesn't really care about you. It tells you that you should close your mind because one person said so, it tells you that emotions are more important then humanity, it tells you that the latest car is more important then your financial stability.

Are you a boy nazi or a girl nazi?

Are you writing this in German and then using google translate?

Pherekydes wrote: »
    A zygote is not a human being. An embryo is not a human being. Most abortions happen during these stages of development. They don't even reach the fetal stage. And most abortions happen spontaneously. The "pro-lifers" never seem too bothered by those ones. Are they not murdered, presumably by god?

A word is just a reference to a greater concept, it has no meaning on its own. A human being is a human being, as defined by its genetic code. We do have some mutations within our order, but they are just as human as the rest of us because they are from and of our order.

And here comes the ignorance of genetics. Please, continue! I'm sure you can tell all the microbiologists, geneticists and bioinformaticians who frequent the forum a LOAD of things we don't know about our jobs...

• Advertisement

A word is just a reference to a greater concept, it has no meaning on its own. A human being is a human being, as defined by its genetic code. We do have some mutations within our order, but they are just as human as the rest of us because they are from and of our order.

The word 'male' is a reference a human being who possesses xy chromosomes in their genetic code*- does this word apply to you?

'our order'? It gets more bizarre by the minute.

Do keep posting, I have to go to bed now but I would love to read more of your interesting prose on the morrow.

* I know, I know - I'm trying to keep it veh simple here.

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    The word 'male' is a reference a human being who to possesses xy chromosomes in their genetic code- does this word apply to you?

'our order'? It gets more bizarre by the minute.

Do keep posting, I have to go to bed now but I would love to read more of your interesting prose on the morrow.

Like I said before, some of the people here seem to think murder is a game. Other people do not exist for your entertainment.

Like I said before, some of the people here seem to think murder is a game. Other people do not exist for your entertainment.

Some people seem to think they should have control over what others do with their bodies. My body does not exist for your control.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Actually, I am more like the Nazi's then you are, you are just a victim of a system that exists for its own purposes and doesn't really care about you. It tells you that you should close your mind because one person said so, it tells you that emotions are more important then humanity, it tells you that the latest car is more important then your financial stability.

And todays Catholic comment of irony is on boards.ie. the church thanks you for saving the the trouble.

Why is it wrong to have an abortion to save a life? When does life begin? At what stage to we decide that something isnt human. Is my sperm 50% of a person human so should it be protected? Do I commit genocide every day? By using contraception Im preventing a life, is this wrong too?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Every sperm, is special... :)

Just in case anyone managed to get it out of their heads.

Because miscarriages aren't murder unless women are consciously able to do such a thing.

So how do you prove it wasn't intentional?

Jernal wrote: »
    Rule#1 of being a ninja : Never admit to anyone EVER that you're a Ninja.

Thank you again for playing 'spontaneous abortion sensitivity 101'. :rolleyes:

Well I have to clarify something here. I didn't mean to offend anybody. My quip was about Ninja's never leaving any evidence or records of their actions.

Nonetheless it was a stupid and inconsiderate place to pun given the nature of the post it was replying to and I apologise. The worst thing is that I didn't even cop it until after two posts referencing gameshow. :(

Well, we're over it because we have the two healthy kids we hoped for.
    Nonetheless, the unintended loss of a pregnancy really does hurt, it leaves a little void that society doesn't recognise and you can't talk about.
    The gap between 'nobody cares about an early miscarriage' and 'every zygote is sacred' is a curious one indeed, and as usual the catholic church and 'you-know-who' are hypocrites of the first order in this regard.
    Jernal, I accept that you didn't intend to cause offence, we've all had the brain farts...
    Best make myself a nice cup of malty tea, eh :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

What about Irish Twins?*
    I actually have Irish twins. They both appear to have a soul, but seem to have the ability to ditch it at will, should it suit them.
    Quite correct. When a killing is lawful, or otherwise does not fulfil the criteria for it to be considered murder, then it is not murder. Murder, by definition, can never be necessary. So whilst your statement is correct, it is not correct for the reason you think.
    Basically, people use the word "foetus" because it refers to a developmental stage in life of a human being, as a means of defining that person.
    Have you considered the possibility that people use the term foetus because it is, you know, the correct term to use?

Also, can you put us out of our misery and tell us who you are a re-reg of? It is a pain having to wait until you open the pointless thread protesting your innocence in the prison forum after your inevitable site ban.

MrP

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement