Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abortion/ *Note* Thread Closing Shortly! ! !

Options

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 51,792 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Just to let folks know that there are disturbing images on the source site. They are obscured entirely when you open the page and are only visible if you hover the mouse cursor over one of them. But I figured it best just to warn folk in advance.

PHONY ABORTION CLINICS IN CANADA ARE SCARING WOMEN WITH LIES
    If you're pregnant and panicking, there's a good chance your research will lead you to the website of a crisis pregnancy center. There are about 200 of them across Canada and 4,000 in the United States, and if you believe their advertising, they offer no-judgment counselling services for women who want to know what their options are. Most of the time, they won't tell you they're religious organizations hell-bent on convincing you to avoid having an abortion. They'll have innocuous-sounding names, like “Aid to Women” or “Pregnancy Care Center,” and to the untrained eye, they won't look like they're being run by nutjobs who have no problem lying to women.

When I call Aid to Women, a Toronto crisis pregnancy center, to schedule a pregnancy options consultation, I speak with Enza Rattenni, the executive director. She seems friendly enough at first, but it's not long before what should be a pretty simple phone call starts feeling like an interrogation.

None of what I tell Enza on the phone is true. I'm not six weeks pregnant, I don't have a boyfriend, and I don't need options counselling. But I've heard a ton of horror stories about crisis pregnancy centers and wanted to find out for myself.

“Where did you get our number?” she asks. My boyfriend. “What's your boyfriend's name?” I blurt out the first name that comes to mind. “Oh, OK. Where did he get our number? Just curious because it's always interesting to hear how people find out about us.” ****. I'm a terrible liar and haven't thought this through. I mumble something about finding the center online. Luckily, Enza seems satisfied that I'm not a reporter—just a vulnerable pregnant girl in need of some advice.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

1044369_10151451704905988_525622259_n.jpg

And the Garda just watching as the name is changed to Lies house using women on web stickers which promote abortion pills.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

And lose the tough guy act - it doesn't impress anyone when you're anonymous, and you wouldn't say it to my face.

Oh, she definitely would say it to your or anyone's face. She's quite sassy! :cool:
    Morag wrote: »
    So a bunch of people on facebook have decided to go and protest outside of Life House today. Not a single pro choice group involved just a bunch of pissed off people who have been enraged by the carry on yesterday and the new round of posters. The facebook event for it has 1,000 attending, the garda have been told it's happening. https://www.facebook.com/events/245726535552285/

I'm not going in myself, I just hope it goes well and passes off peacefully, but YD have really poked the bear and it's nice to see so many people wanting reform to the abortion rights.

I know people who went to that who never protested about anything in their lives. The dragon has been stirred alright.
    Morag wrote: »
    1044369_10151451704905988_525622259_n.jpg

Caption competition entry: "And not a single f#ck was given that day..."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

Galvasean wrote: »
    Oh, she definitely would say it to your or anyone's face. She's quite sassy! :cool:

I shall take that as the "urban dictionary" definition of sassy. I know that's what you meant, right?! :D

"...possessing the attitude of someone endowed with an ungodly amount of cool."

That'll do donkey, that'll do :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Obliq wrote: »
    I shall take that as the "urban dictionary" definition of sassy. I know that's what you meant, right?! :D

"...possessing the attitude of someone endowed with an ungodly amount of cool."

That'll do donkey, that'll do :cool:

I believe its available on a popular t-shirt.

• Advertisement

Nodin wrote: »
    I believe its available on a popular t-shirt.

I only really like the "ungodly" bit. I'm sure you can get that too.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Of course, there's always someone who'll take Youth Defence's side. In-f*cking-credible.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

SassyOne or something was the name EA randomly assigned me for Battlefield all those yonks back. Just saying. . .:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

<snip>

Easy there popey this is a real person you're slurring here. Less of that please.

Sarky wrote: »
    Of course, there's always someone who'll take Youth Defence's side. In-f*cking-credible.

She actually sent that to the Rape Crisis Center?

Where do they get their morals from!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

God.

Do pay attention Galvasean. We have no morals as we don't believe in God. Believers get their morals from God.

Teach a man to fish find his own morals?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

We spent ages explaining it to her and she concluded we were just insulting her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mr Whirly

Is everyone aware that Youth Defence's founders were a load of anti-immigration far right activists? Some of these people are still active at their protests. Obviously Youth Defence now want to distance themselves from them.

If you look at the names printed in the article below and google them you will see some pretty dodgy stuff they have been involved with.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/youth-defence-unrepentant-as-eight-convicted-26153253.html

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.548224011904586.1073741833.192377537489237&type=1

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    God.

Do pay attention Galvasean. We have no morals as we don't believe in God. Believers get their morals from God.

I think "morals" (as we know 'em) is becoming a dirty word.... similar to what happened to "feminism", no? Time to reclaim those words for what they mean today?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,906 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Mr Whirly wrote: »
    Is everyone aware that Youth Defence's founders were a load of anti-immigration far right activists?

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/irish-far-right-groups-remain-on-the-margins-of-political-life-109464.html
    Former Northern Irish IRA prisoner, Gerry McGeough, attempted to politically organise around anti-immigrant sentiment in conjunction with former Youth Defence leader, Justin Barrett.

Following adverse media exposure both have returned to relative political obscurity. Mr Barrett secured just over 10,000 votes in the 2004 European elections. Mr McGeough’s Hibernian magazine ceased publication in 2007.
    Obviously Youth Defence now want to distance themselves from them.

Please provide evidence for this assertion :pac:

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I suppose the new poster outside the RCC is stuck in traffic too?

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2013/06/29/life-goes-on-2/

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Frito

Looks likely, probably waiting for breakdown recovery. St Michael will be along any minute.

On his way.

Any minute now.

They're ****ed though, being wrapped around a lamppost like that. Policy only good for third party, hyperbole and spite.

A comment on Broadsheet:
    Considering how marvelous a job they’re doing destroying and demolishing the credibility of the anti-choice position I’m almost tempted to paypal them 20 as a donation.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Advertisement

Wow. You'd think that after the public outcry the last time they'd have thought twice about doing it again so soon. Sometimes it feels like they want to fail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Doctor Strange

Wow. You'd think that after the public outcry the last time they'd have thought twice about doing it again so soon. Sometimes it feels like they want to fail.

Cognitive (and moral) dissonance. The don't think, but if they did, they're perfectly in the right, and ALL people who get abortions are inhuman monsters.

ninja900 wrote: »

Christ, what a mess it all is. A Catholic solution to a Catholic problem, all over the world. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Good signs are ones that communicate with people and cause them to take a different action or think in a different way.

Bad signs are ones that reinforce negative stereotypes or are preachy, condemnatory, hard to understand. These types of signs are ultimately counterproductive and a waste of time.

Also, studies show that the physical characteristics of the child and the development facts are insufficient to cause a woman not to abort. Since most women facing unplanned pregnancies feel alone, signs should reinforce the pro-life community’s love and compassion rather than blunt statements about fetal development.

Good Signs Examples

Everyone should have a birthday
    A person’s a person, no matter how small. -Dr. Seuss
    Smile. Your Mom chose life!
    Abortion – Aren’t you forgetting someone?
    As a former fetus, I oppose abortion
    Women need Love, not Abortion
    Real men love babies
    Everybody that is for abortion has already been born. -Ronald Reagan
    Planned Parenthood covers up Statutory Rape
    Pregnant? We will stand by you
    Equal rights for unborn women
    A woman has the right to her body, even if she’s still in the womb
    Pro-Woman, Pro-Life
    Love them both: Choose Life!
    Abortion? The Supreme Court also legalized Slavery
    I Choose Life
    1/3 of our Generation is Missing
    Abortion Hurts Women
    Bad Signs Examples

Abortion is Murder
    Kill rapists, not their children
    God hates Abortionists
    Pro-Life
    Stop Abortion Now
    Abortion Kills Children
    Pro-Vita (or anything in Latin)
    Abortion Stops a Beating Heart

Watch out for these prolife slogans, sure to be winging their way to us soon. From http://studentsforlife.org . I'm sure Yoof Defence are picking their brains, as well as their wallets, as we speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

lazygal wrote: »

Real men love babies
    Equal rights for unborn women
    A woman has the right to her body, even if she’s still in the womb

The three most disgusting proposals, imo. One suggesting that any man who doesn't want a child isn't a real man, and two outright saying that a foetus has more rights than an extant woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

"Kill rapists, not their children" - wait, weren't they pro life? That rapist could be the one who cures cancer! I am so very, very confused.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Response from Breda O' Brien tacked onto an article about alcohol.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/drinks-industry-strategy-relies-on-recruiting-young-drinkers-to-their-brand-1.1446596?page=2

PS. David Robert Grimes, in an article on Wednesday, accused me of misusing research by Dr David Fergusson into the effects of abortion on women’s mental health. Did he miss the clarification on Morning Ireland on May 9th by Cathal Mac Coille stating that Dr Fergusson expressed no unhappiness whatsoever with how the Iona Institute has presented his research?

As for his allegation that David Quinn effectively misused research about the effects of different family forms on children, may I suggest he reads David’s article in the current issue of The Village? That will set him straight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Can we start a pool for what attendance numbers we think Youth Defence will claim for the rally for life? Im gonna go with 65k!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I vote at least 100,000. Of course I have an inherent liberal bias.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement