Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abortion/ *Note* Thread Closing Shortly! ! !

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

your comment is fruitless the majority are against on demand abortion. this is fact.
    oh, i accept that's a fact. for now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

plus, reading the numbers, the rate at which support for abortion on demand is increasing, we'll be there soon enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

wow....em how many people attended pro-life rallys as to pro-choice.

i think your the one in the dreamland. even enda is promising this wont lead to on demand abortions to appease the masses.

The only people who ever claimed it will lead to abortion on demand are anti-choice. Lose the ridiculous hysterics and you might be taken seriously.

they will be proved right though, in a sense; abortion on demand will eventually reach ireland. and people will point to this law as the start of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Their mistake. They should be pointing to William Binchy and the 8th amendment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

At this point in time, you are correct the majority are opposed to abortion on demand(Give it ten or twenty years and we'll face a different situation). That would also require a referendum and this bill would not cover it. However the suicide clause, the vast majority are in favour of. Bringing a couple of thousand on a paid bus to protest doesn't mean the majority are opposed to the suicide clause.

All polls except one indicate that the majority are in favour. That particular poll was taken by a pro-life group which can't be considered reliable as a result. We can comfortably concluded that there hasn't been a significant shift in opposition since the previous two referendums that were taken. One of which was taken in a deeply conservative Ireland that doesn't resemble modern Ireland remotely.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭eireannBEAR

Corkfeen wrote: »
    At this point in time, you are correct the majority are opposed to abortion on demand(Give it ten or twenty years and we'll face a different situation). That would also require a referendum and this bill would not cover it. However the suicide clause, the vast majority are in favour of. Bringing a couple of thousand on a paid bus to protest doesn't mean the majority are opposed to the suicide clause.

All polls except one indicate that the majority are in favour. That particular poll was taken by a pro-life group which can't be considered reliable as a result. We can comfortably concluded that there hasn't been a significant shift in opposition since the previous two referendums that were taken. One of which was taken in a deeply conservative Ireland that doesn't resemble modern Ireland remotely.

in 10 or 20 years abortion maybe restricted all over the world. opinions around europe and the us are growing against abortion.

most people dont understand that abortions in suicidal women cause more harm than good. the tide is turning. the suicide rate for women who have had abortions are 30% higher than women who have not had one. it does more harm than good.

Sarky wrote: »
    The only people who ever claimed it will lead to abortion on demand are anti-choice. Lose the ridiculous hysterics and you might be taken seriously.

wow your really are in denial friend. this is utter nonsense dont tell me you oppose abortion on demand??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Jamesw2

Anyone think it peculiar that then new master of Holles Street eh hem Horror St is for the bill!!! Find the thought v disturbing.
    Later same week she was offered a spanking brand new hospital at Vincents.
    Siding with Reilly on this one?
    Strange.

Question: Who will benefit from this. Marie Stopes!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

What's strange is how 78% support abortion in cases where the womans health, not life, is at risk. That's effectively pro-choice imo. Even if people might not wish to use the label because of all the connotations here to it and abortion on demand. Seriously, who actually wants "abortion on demand". The phrase itself is disrespectful to women. Abortion on request, maybe?
    Source.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

wow....em how many people attended pro-life rallys as to pro-choice.

i think your the one in the dreamland. even enda is promising this wont lead to on demand abortions to appease the masses.

Pro-life groups get a lot of funding and bus the pensioners and stay at home mothers from all over the country to their meet ups. The pro choice side are getting what they want so dont have anything to rally about, "what do we want? abortions! when do we want them? whenever this legislation goes through"

He also promised not to increased college fees along with other things. Welcome to Irish politics.
    wow your really are in denial friend. this is utter nonsense dont tell me you oppose abortion on demand??

Its pretty much true, the like of youth defense keep talking about "on demand until birth" not the pro choice people.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Jamesw2 wrote: »
    Anyone think it peculiar that then new master of Holles Street eh hem Horror St is for the bill!!! Find the thought v disturbing.
    Later same week she was offered a spanking brand new hospital at Vincents.
    Siding with Reilly on this one?
    Strange.

Question: Who will benefit from this. Marie Stopes!

This is comedy gold!
    Funnily enough my pregnancy was terminated in Holles St at 39 weeks, one of the happiest days of my life.

in 10 or 20 years abortion maybe restricted all over the world. opinions around europe and the us are growing against abortion.

most people dont understand that abortions in suicidal women cause more harm than good. the tide is turning. the suicide rate for women who have had abortions are 30% higher than women who have not had one. it does more harm than good.

Could you reference your source for both of the statements you've just made?

I found a Gallup poll that effectively states that there has been little change in terms of people's political stance on Abortion in America. It just goes up or down slightly each year so remains pretty much stagnant. No indication that there'll be significant changes in abortion law in the US. Look at the amount of fire Texas fell under last week in their effort to make it more restrictive, the people don't support it.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/1576/abortion.aspx

Also, I've gotta agree with Jernal on 'abortion on demand' phrase. Like claiming it's regularly used as a contraceptive. It ignores the fact that it's still not easy for a woman to go through with an abortion.

Seriously. Who is benefiting from this? In the word of Drumm who is getting the "moolah".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

excuse me 36%...and you say im grasping at straws the irony.

Yeah, you posted a google search leading to a forum post quoting a newspaper poll and you still managed to get it wrong. I can safely say you're casting around desperately for absolutely anything you can find to back yourself up.

Also!
    wikipedia huh lol

So wikipedia is a joke when other people cite it but it's fine for you?

Go eireannBEAR. I'll vote for you come the next election. FGFGFG OUT OUT OUT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Jamesw2 wrote: »
    Seriously. Who is benefiting from this?

Mothers.

https://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=15&cad=rja&ved=0CE4QFjAEOAo&url=http%3A%2F%2Fbjp.rcpsych.org%2Fcontent%2F193%2F6%2F444.full&ei=xQ_SUd7SIOaf7AbO3IHADA&usg=AFQjCNFyLaBqzjHNk3_UwiH1YRfREAiU0g&sig2=s-90E3crKFYQvt6WaCt0MA

a study carried out by the pro-choice dr ferguson. he wasnt expecting these results. abortions for suicidal woman cause more risks than women proceeding to birth.

increased mental health issues,increased suicide rates. if they had of waited a few months these women would be alive today.

you uninformed people are inadvertently harming women.

Ah now don't believe any mom would want abortion. Whose getting the moolah on this one. Thats what this is all about. Dont cod yerselves.

https://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=15&cad=rja&ved=0CE4QFjAEOAo&url=http%3A%2F%2Fbjp.rcpsych.org%2Fcontent%2F193%2F6%2F444.full&ei=xQ_SUd7SIOaf7AbO3IHADA&usg=AFQjCNFyLaBqzjHNk3_UwiH1YRfREAiU0g&sig2=s-90E3crKFYQvt6WaCt0MA

a study carried out by the pro-choice dr ferguson. he wasnt expecting these results. abortions for suicidal woman cause more risks than women proceeding to birth.

increased mental health issues,increased suicide rates. if they had of waited a few months these women would be alive today.
    Coincidentally I sent an email to David Fergusson so will lob up the response which I got from him. You're taking leaps that don't match up with the study. His response is more reliable than my own could be, given the fact I don't share his background. Nothing that can't be gleamed from the study which does not conclude increased Suicidality!
    Dear
    Thank you for your email . To clarify the issue what our article says is that :
    a) We can find no evidence abortion has positive benefits;

b) There is suggestive evidence of small harmful effects but it would be premature to draw strong conclusions,

c) Further and better research is needed before strong conclusions can be drawn about the linkages between mental health and abortion.

The problem with these findings is that they can be misused by both prolife and prochoice advocates. Prolife advocates can argue on the basis of b) that abortion is harmful . Prochoice advocates can argue on the basis of b) and c) that currently there is no credible evidence to suggest abortion has no harmful effects. The latter argument is correct but could be misleading as it implies there is strong evidence of the absence of harmful effects. However an absence of evidence is not the same as evidence of absence and under these conditions it behoves commenters to be cautious.
    I cannot recall my remarks on Irish radio but I suspect there were along the lines that it would be misleading to interpret our findings as suggesting harmful effects for abortion.
    I hope that this clarifies matters
    David Fergusson

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

But its fine for a woman to have her rapists child?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

*sigh.*
    From you own link.
    Specifically, the results do not support strong pro-life positions that claim that abortion has large and devastating effects on the mental health of women.46 Neither do the results support strong pro-choice positions that imply that abortion is without any mental health effects.

Coincidentally I sent an email to David Fergusson so will lob up the response which I got from him. You're taking leaps that don't match up with the study.

section ''A'' my friend. it defeats your whole argument.

• Moderators Posts: 51,792 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

:confused:
    only if you ignore the rest of the email Corkfeen posted.

If you can read this, you're too close!

maybe these two are pro-life turing tests.

Not really, I don't think we should force a woman to go through with her pregnancy if she doesn't want it. If she is suicidal, there may be no indication that it's beneficial but the pregnancy could easily act as an added strain upon a woman. You still haven't backed up you're previous claims that I asked for evidence of.
    koth wrote: »
    :confused:
    only if you ignore the rest of the email Corkfeen posted.

Was sick of IONA so thought I'd go direct to the source... :P

he was devastated by these results he tried to stop this paper being published.

The suicide issue in this bill is simply an angle.

How many women have presented themselves for abortion on the basis of suicide?

Can' think there is too many and yet this issue has got more coverage and legal argument to bring about abortion in Ireland.

Id like to see them discussing mental health issues and suicide amongst the male population in as much detail as this "angle" has got.
    Again,

FGFGFG OUT OUT OUT

he was devastated by these results he tried to stop this paper being published.

Once again, I'd like to see proof of this claim.... You're making many but not proving any of them..... I'm not responding to any more of your posts unless you start providing proof!

• Advertisement

Not really, I don't think we should force a woman to go through with her pregnancy if she doesn't want it. If she is suicidal, there may be no indication that it's beneficial but the pregnancy could easily act as an added strain upon a woman.

incorrect its proven to benefit the women. abortions cause more harm than good.

adoption would of saved countless womens lives.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement