Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abortion/ *Note* Thread Closing Shortly! ! !

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    I'm not sure how common that scenario is - why would a C-section not work if the child is that developed?

But to answer your question: Conflicted as you say. But unless I was the woman involved it's not my decision. The woman (hopefully with the support of those who love her) would have to make that awful decision. If it was me - I'd choose to live.

If it was a choice between your wife and your unborn child? Who would you choose?

See, this is why we need clear legislation and not this 'export for foreign solutions' situation we currently have.

As I said, I realise its unrealistic ,but again humour me

Woman is not conscious at the moment, baby is more or less ready to come out , c section isnt an option , but its your call

• Registered Users Posts: 10,634 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Sin City wrote: »
    Mother is unconscious or under anesthetic who would you choose and why
    Remember the child can survive independently at this stage if taken out
    Next-of-kin, same as any medical decision. Why the fixation with not allowing people to decide what's right for them?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭doctoremma

Woman is not conscious at the moment, baby is more or less ready to come out , c section isnt an option , but its your call
    Then woman. Every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭dharma200

Why would anyone have an opinion on a completely unrealistic scenario. If the scenario is totally impossible then the opinon is totally pointless imho

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Sin, that's so unrealistic its like asking me what I would do if aliens landed. How could that ever be my call? But, to play along- I choose the woman.

Now it's your call - do you choose your wife or the unborn child?

• Advertisement

doctoremma wrote: »
    Then woman. Every time.

Finally someone gave me an answer rather than debate the actual scenario which I said wasnt going to be a prefect one and to just humour me for the sake of a debate. Thanks Dr Emma

Im assuming its because she is an actual person, right but if the child was saved it would become an actual child instantly

28064212 wrote: »
    Next-of-kin, same as any medical decision. Why the fixation with not allowing people to decide what's right for them?

Because I asked for your opinion

Your the next of kin

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭IT-Guy

:D How I feel , conflicted

Let me ask you this

Say the child was almost fit to be born, was more or less a fully formed baby, just adding on the last few pounds and ounces before birth, perfectly healthy but suddenly a scenario arose where the birth would kill the mother

Which would you save?

Agree with doctoremma here, mother first. If the birth will cause the death of the mother then her life should be saved. Depending on the issue causing the risk to her life, there may be an option in the future for the mother to try again or failing that, to adopt. I've stated this in previous abortion debates, I'd rather deal with the living than worry about the dead or unborn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭oldrnwisr

Even though personhood exists the only thing is the baby is still in the womb, but could be birthed anyday naturally is a baby in everyway except its still inside

We are well passed the permitted limit for abortions

You are posing not only as seamus said, an unrealistic hypothetical but an impossible one. In situations which pose a grave threat to the life of the mother (in the UK at least) abortion is legal past the 24-week limit. In fact in 2010, 147 such abortions were performed.

I understand what you're trying to get at but I don't see that either answer has any bearing on the overall debate.

Oh, and for the record, I choose to save the mother. It's rather obvious. You are talking about a threat to a living breathing person who could potentially (depending on the medical circumstances) have another child in the not too distant future versus potentially (again depending on circumstances) leaving a child orphaned.

Im assuming its because she is an actual person, right but if the child was saved it would become an actual child instantly
    That's part of it. But she's not only an actual person, she's an actual person with a life, with a family, with memories, with emotions and struggles and victories and losses. As far as I can ascertain, a baby has none of these to lose, or to be lost from the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

IT-Guy wrote: »
    Really? Got a linky for that, would love to read up on it?

I don't especially as I'm at work and can't google it, but I remember reading that the guy admitted in an interview at some stage it wasn't real
    if you have a look you should hopefully find it

Sin, that's so unrealistic its like asking me what I would do if aliens landed. How could that ever be my call? But, to play along- I choose the woman.

Now it's your call - do you choose your wife or the unborn child?
    dharma200 wrote: »
    Why would anyone have an opinion on a completely unrealistic scenario. If the scenario is totally impossible then the opinon is totally pointless imho

Ok lets say its Cancer and the chemo will kill the child and save you

Or a car accident where there is massive blood loss and either the baby or the woman can be saved (I hope thats more realistic)

Finally someone gave me an answer rather than debate the actual scenario which I said wasnt going to be a prefect one and to just humour me for the sake of a debate. Thanks Dr Emma

Ahem!

I debate the scenario and gave you an answer.

Now can I have an answer - your wife or the unborn child?

Because I asked for your opinion

Your the next of kin
    My wife. You?

Do you think I should be allowed to decide for you? Or do you think it should be up to the individual in the tragic circumstances?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

Ahem!

I debate the scenario and gave you an answer.

Now can I have an answer - your wife or the unborn child?

bannasidhe,you are using the argument of emergency abortion to legislate for abortion on demand for all..

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭IT-Guy

Yup, woman every time too. My view on having a child is to have them with the person you love, not have the person you love serve as an incubator to pass on your progeny regardless of what happens to her. No way would I want to have my (fictitious) wife give birth if it meant her dying.

IT-Guy wrote: »
    Agree with doctoremma here, mother first. If the birth will cause the death of the mother then her life should be saved. Depending on the issue causing the risk to her life, there may be an option in the future for the mother to try again or failing that, to adopt. I've stated this in previous abortion debates, I'd rather deal with the living than worry about the dead or unborn.

I know what your saying but there is a fine line between living an unborn here.
    The baby would be born if its saved, its already living and can live independently from the mother so in its very much alive

bannasidhe,you are using the argument of emergency abortion to legislate for abortion on demand for all..

christmas - I am not. You are twisting my words to suit your agenda and I do not appreciate that so kindly stop.

There are two sepearate issues here

1 is emergency abortion - (but it should not be used as an argument for abortion for all)

2 abortion for all

I agree with 1 and completely disagree with 2.

Where is she doing that? Specify which posts exactly

• Advertisement

I know what your saying but there is a fine line between living an unborn here.
    The baby would be born if its saved, its already living and can live independently from the mother so in its very much alive

Sin - fair is fair, we have answered. Now for the 3rd time Who do YOU chose - your wife or the unborn child?

christmas - I am not. You are twisting my words to suit your agenda and I do not appreciate that so kindly stop.

Theres no need to get hysterical asking me to stop,i didnt twist anything,you posed a scenario,you are in effect arguing for abortion for all and using emergency abortion as the scenario,ive read many of your posts and it seems no matter what the circumstance you are very pro abortion.

let me ask you have you ever had an abortion,or had close friends who have had abortions,i can tell you ones who have had,would not describe having an abortion as a positive experience(its a painful procedure,with risk of infection).Full stop.

There are two sepearate issues here

1 is emergency abortion - (but it should not be used as an argument for abortion for all)

2 abortion for all

I agree with 1 and completely disagree with 2.
    Same here. Nobody here (if I may be so bold as to speak on their behalf) thinks "abortion for all" is a good or right thing.

oldrnwisr wrote: »
    Oh, and for the record, I choose to save the mother. It's rather obvious. You are talking about a threat to a living breathing person who could potentially (depending on the medical circumstances) have another child in the not too distant future versus potentially (again depending on circumstances) leaving a child orphaned.

Both are alive albeit one isnt born but still very much alive will breath when its born in moments. The mother could have another child (would if this would leave her unable to have children change your mind btw?) The child when mature will also have the potential to give birth

The child wouldnt be left orphaned has a father (who isnt around atm so cant eb asked and a good family support structure) again hypotheticly

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Both are alive albeit one isnt born but still very much alive will breath when its born in moments. The mother could have another child (would if this would leave her unable to have children change your mind btw?) The child when mature will also have the potential to give birth

The child wouldnt be left orphaned has a father (who isnt around atm so cant eb asked and a good family support structure) again hypotheticly
    From a purely utilitarian POV, the mother has the best chance of long-term survival (the child is at risk of sudden death during its first year), therefore all other concerns being equal, the mother is the one to save.

Sin - fair is fair, we have answered. Now for the 3rd time Who do YOU chose - your wife or the unborn child?

Give me a chance I have to answer everyones else question

Again , for me its conflicting answer. my wife or my child

or a nameless mother and her child.

Honestly I dont know (I woud like to think the child in the namless one though)

Can anyone clarify what a medic's duty of care to an unborn child is in Ireland? Here, the duty of care will be to the mother primarily, until such a point at which she is unable to be saved.

So, in an emergency situation (e.g. baby in distress, C-section required), doctor's will not sacrifice a mother to save the child.

seamus wrote: »
    From a purely utilitarian POV, the mother has the best chance of long-term survival (the child is at risk of sudden death during its first year), therefore all other concerns being equal, the mother is the one to save.

and if its the cancer sceanrio?

Could live or the cancer could come back?

Honestly I dont know (I woud like to think the child in the namless one though)
    Then you'll have to prospectively forgive my husband for knocking at your door with shotgun...;)

• Advertisement

Lads this is just a debate, we dont need others attacking or being attacked for their beliefs.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement