Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abortion/ *Note* Thread Closing Shortly! ! !

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Doctor Strange

no?? hang on a minute!!! you do understand that abortions are not granted in ireland for rape thats illegal,maybe you should take to the street do you think you could muster up 30,000 to march with you i doubt it.

Stop dodging the question. It's disrespectful. Now please justify in detail why a woman should be forced to carry to term a child conceived through rape.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭eireannBEAR

Esoteric_ wrote: »
    So why do you have the time to post inane, unrelated ramblings, but not a response to what's actually written in the posts you quote?

its morally very easy,two wrongs dont make a right. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

Do you actually respond to what's written in the posts you quote? Because the post of mine that you quoted had nothing about morals in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Please answer the question posed and stop avoiding and deflecting.

Esoteric_ wrote: »
    Do you actually respond to what's written in the posts you quote? Because the post of mine that you quoted had nothing about morals in it.

sorry but i will only reply to posts that i deem time worthy. i am being over run with questions and replies here.

• Advertisement

bumper234 wrote: »
    Please answer the question posed and stop avoiding and deflecting.

sorry but that was my answer,i answered this question twice now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Doctor Strange

sorry but i will only reply to posts that i deem time worthy. i am being over run with questions and replies here.

In other words, you'll cherry pick easy questions and then post unrelated ramblings. That's not how you engage in a debate or discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Suil Eile

Your incredible logic is only doing your side of the debate damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

NO!

You are not sneaking away from this debate like that. Please justify in great detail why a woman should be forced to carry to term a child conceived in a rape.

No one is forcing the woman to do anything. Although you might see not providing abortion services as exerting force, it doesn't actually do that.

To do nothing is the polar opposite of exerting force. In order to apply force you have to do something. Exert effort or the like. Newtons Law of Motion and all that.

When debating, it pays to use precise terminology.

And so, in the case of a woman pregnant by rape, if nothing at all is done by anybody and the child is nevertheless being carried, then there can be no talk of forcing.

The only work being done is the work done by force of nature. It is insisting the woman carry the child.

In other words, you'll cherry pick easy questions and then post unrelated ramblings. That's not how you engage in a debate or discussion.

correct. why should i respond to posts i deem offensive. you have already attacked me.

• Advertisement

sorry but that was my answer,i answered this question twice now.

Erm no. You skipped right on by and refused to answer this. I have checked back and you totally ignored it. Why would you ignore it? If you feel that your arguement is right then you should have no problem answering this

But lets say that out of 5 cases 1 woman decides that she cannot go through with it, maybe she is too traumatized and not strong enough mentally to go through with it. Should she be allowed to terminate the pregnancy or would you have her locked up under guard 24/7 and forced to carry the baby to term?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,685 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

uh huh,i believe in these cases adoption is the only option although id imaging most women would chose to keep the baby,i cant prove this i just have faith in the majority of irish women,motherly love is a strong instinct that thankfully most irish women have.

@eireannBEAR: I guess that's a way of saying that a woman has NO rights to make decisions about her body, and what it contain's, if it incovenient for you, where-as YOU claim you have that right. You then compound the offence that cause's by talking about what you claim is the strong "Irish Motherly Love" instinct that most Irish Women have as a back-up on your statement. That's some slap in the face for Irish Women rape victims, for you to use their being victims of crime to call into doubt their fitness to be mothers. <snip>

Sorry, was working off frustration.. P.S. I like the re-titled title of the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭_rebelkid

correct. why should i respond to posts i deem offensive. you have already attacked me.

Because that's how debating works. I've answered questions put to me on here by people who have called me a baby killer, even though that would be deemed offensive.

You don't run from an uncomfortable, you fight against it with reasoned argument with info to back it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

barbaric...laughable,its natural,would you not say its barbaric to murder a child??

So ... people in the UK and other countries are murdering children now are they ?

gctest50 wrote: »
    So ... people in the UK and other countries are murdering children now are they ?

yes of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

No one is forcing the woman to do anything. Although you might see not providing abortion services as exerting force, it doesn't actually do that.

To do nothing is the polar opposite of exerting force. In order to apply force you have to do something. Exert effort or the like. Newtons Law of Motion and all that.

And so, in the case of a woman pregnant by rape, if nothing at all is done by anybody and the child is nevertheless being carried, then there can be no talk of forcing.

The only work being done is the force of nature.

Christian morality hard at work :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

yes of course.

So ... 1 in 3 women in the UK = murderer according to you ?

" 1 in 3 women will have an abortion by the time they are 45 years old."

http://www.bpas.org/bpaswoman

yes of course.

But lets say that out of 5 cases 1 woman decides that she cannot go through with it, maybe she is too traumatized and not strong enough mentally to go through with it. Should she be allowed to terminate the pregnancy or would you have her locked up under guard 24/7 and forced to carry the baby to term?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

May I remind folks that under the Boards.ie Terms of Use you agreed NOT to speculate on the identity of a poster! What personal information they divulge is completely up to them and cannot be requested or speculated at!

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭CuriousG

Just to say:

- Not all pro life people support YD
    - Not all pro life people are Christian
    - Not all pro life people are over 40

I am none of those, and I disagree with abortion on a personal level.

I am the first to admit YD have some sh**ty tactics, but throwing out insults just because someone doesn't agree with your lifeview is just as bad as that. People have the 'choice' to disagree with abortion.

I hope abortion on demand never comes into this country, women have the choice to prevent an unplanned pregnancy before it happens, with contraception and also the morning after pill. To say otherwise is shirking your responsibility.

• Advertisement

CuriousG wrote: »
    Just to say:

- Not all pro life people support YD
    - Not all pro life people are Christian
    - Not all pro life people are over 40

I am none of those, and I disagree with abortion on a personal level.

I am the first to admit YD have some sh**ty tactics, but throwing out insults just because someone doesn't agree with your lifeview is just as bad as that. People have the 'choice' to disagree with abortion.

I hope abortion on demand never comes into this country, women have the choice to prevent an unplanned pregnancy before it happens, with contraception and also the morning after pill. To say otherwise is shirking your responsibility.

What about rape?

Do you think rape victims should be forced to carry to term?

Jernal wrote: »
    May I remind folks that under the Boards.ie Terms of Use you agreed NOT to speculate on the identity of a poster! What personal information they divulge is completely up to them and cannot be requested or speculated at!

jernal its plain to see im being repeatedly attacked here for my personal and currently law abiding views!!! this thread needs to be closed. this cant go on!!!where anyone with a different view gets abused. by 3 or 4 posters at a time.

its just blatant bullying,by aggressive posters.

even if i were to stop posting some one else would come along and get attacked!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

Christian morality hard at work :rolleyes:

Christian morality might motivate me to post but wasn't involved in the point.

Another from debating elementary skool: argue the position, not the person.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭CuriousG

What about rape?

Do you think rape victims should be forced to carry to term?

You quite obviously missed the words on demand, in bold and italics.

However, it is mandatory for rape victims to be given the morning after pill, which has a very high success rate. On a personal level, I would not condone it at all, I think the rapist should be punished for their actions, not an unknowing baby. It is kind of bad that some people think people that were conceived through rape don't deserve to be alive, there are many people that have been born through that situation and lead amazing lives now. People can do what they want, but that is my opinion on the matter.

Just my opinion, I'm not forcing anyone to agree, I'd be glad if you gave that courtesy back.

jernal its plain to see im being repeatedly attacked here for my personal and currently law abiding views!!! this thread needs to be closed. this cant go on!!!where anyone with different view gets abused. by 3 or 4 posters at a time.

I have not witnessed you getting any abuse. I have seen you make inflammatory statements then refuse to answer questions about inflammatory statements. If anyone is being abusive it's you with your statements. Also this is a debate and you are nit the only poster so saying it should be closed because you are upset is just unusual to say the least. If you dont like the thread you could do something radical like....unsubscribe? Stop posting?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

I have not witnessed you getting any abuse.

That's cos the abusive remarks were fed to the hamsters.

I have not witnessed you getting any abuse. I have seen you make inflammatory statements then refuse to answer questions about inflammatory statements. If anyone is being abusive it's you with your statements. Also this is a debate and you are nit the only poster so saying it should be closed because you are upset is just unusual to say the least. If you dont like the thread you could do something radical like....unsubscribe? Stop posting?

this is fiction and no i love boards.ie and im amazed out of all the threads i have seen that this is the only one thats out of control.

its constitutes online bullying,to many posters cant behave themselves.

CuriousG wrote: »
    You quite obviously missed the words on demand, in bold and italics.

However, it is mandatory for rape victims to be given the morning after pill, which has a very high success rate. On a personal level, I would not condone it at all, I think the rapist should be punished for their actions, not an unknowing baby. It is kind of bad that some people think people that were conceived through rape don't deserve to be alive, there are many people that have been born through that situation and lead amazing lives now. People can do what they want, but that is my opinion on the matter.

Just my opinion, I'm not forcing anyone to agree, I'd be glad if you gave that courtesy back.

But a rape victim would not want abortion on demand. I posted this already <snip> Maybe you would like to give an opinion?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

yes of course.

I have said this before in another thread but murder is the unlawful killing of another human being. If something is legal it is no more murder than killing a fly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭IT-Guy

The only work being done is the work done by force of nature. It is insisting the woman carry the child.

Wow, status quo bias and an appeal to nature all in one post! Nature doesn't 'insist' on anything outside of the confines of your viewpoint, the fact that a pregnancy may arise from a rape is no reason that said pregnancy must be seen through. Have you problems with anything else that's 'unnatural' or is it just abortion?

Denying access to abortion services that are widely available in other countries may not qualify as exerting force but it is actively obstructing access in a deliberate fashion. A very typical passive aggressive attitude towards something that people can't or don't want to deal with, in this instance abortion.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement