Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abortion/ *Note* Thread Closing Shortly! ! !

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

You have a very, um, liberal definition for insult, eireannBEAR...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭eireannBEAR

Well, not alone are anti-abortionists anti-life, they are also anti-fun as well.

this post is off topic and offensive brian please stop,thanks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

bumper234 wrote: »
    How do you know rats don't have souls? How do you know humans do have souls?

Is this a serious question or what?

FYI, I support the women who get the abortions.

It would be great if no-one ever needed an abortion, if no-one was ever raped or got sick or suffered from mental health issues, or foetuses never got sick or malformed, of if everyone felt they had the social of self support they felt they needed to go through with the pregnancy. But, well, that's not the world your god created, is it? I would rather be pragmatic and help those I can, than be absolutist and help no-one.

im not religious at all what do you mean by the ''your god'' comment???

• Moderators Posts: 51,791 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Psychiatrist criticises ‘impractical’ Creighton amendments
    Ms Creighton has suggested changes to provide for a speedy assessment of whether a woman was suicidal, dialectical behaviour therapy, a twice a week evaluation and a care team meeting once every two weeks to assess the patient’s stability.

Dr Anthony McCarthy of Holles Street maternity hospital described Ms Creighton’s proposed amendments as “extraordinary”.

He said it was “totally impractical” to expect psychiatrists to complete assessments within two hours and for social workers to complete a psycho-social assessment within twenty-four hours especially as “some emergency departments in the country do not have a liaison psychiatrist - full stop”.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

im not religious at all what do you mean by the ''your god'' comment???

Then where do you get your absolutism from?

koth wrote: »

one?? you are better off ignoring psychiatrists as 90% of them oppose suicide in this bill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Well, not alone are anti-abortionists anti-life, they are also anti-fun as well.

Well my theory is that the anti-abortionist side isn't really anything to do with being "pro-life", it is to do with not liking the idea of woman having sex without "suffering the consequences", and being greatly unnerved by the idea of unthinking sexual activity.

Most anti-abortion people who get very worked up about the "poor baby" being terminated don't bat an eyelid at the fact that 8 out of 10 "poor babies" are naturally miscarried by the woman's own body, for various reasons to there being something wrong with the pregnancy to the timing just not being right. Nature is far from precious with these "poor innocent babies".

But all that is fine because it is "natural". What they don't like is a woman deciding to terminate her pregnancy. You shouldn't be allowed do that because you had sex and you must now face any problems that having sex brings. You can't just have sex without thinking and then later decide not to face the consequences of that.

Like most things that have strong religious side to it, it is all really about hang ups over sex :p

Then where do you get your absolutism from?

science where do you get yours???

do you even know what i support or have you made up a picture in your head?

one?? you are better off ignoring psychiatrists as 90% of them oppose suicide in this bill.

Link?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Is this a serious question or what?

Of course it's a serious question. You have made a statement of fact that i would like you to back up with evidence.

this post is off topic and offensive brian please stop,thanks.

Back seat moddimentz

bumper234 wrote: »
    Of course it's a serious question. You have made a statement of fact that i would like you to back up with evidence.

I was being facetious.

What science? Because all the science in the past few pages has completely contradicted you.
    do you even know what i support or have you made up a picture in your head?

If there is a picture in my head then I am sure that you posted it there.

Explain to me exactly what you support then. Where and when can an abortion be got, in your opinion?

Any source for that claim?

And what has that to do with Dr McCarthy stating that Creightons amendments are totally impractical?

I was being facetious.

I know!!!! I was being sarcastic :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Doctor Strange

Link?

When I asked yesterday, I got a response saying the poster "is too busy to provide one" and we should search their posts for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭oldrnwisr

this regards rats and states that the findings are not comparable to a women???

You may want to re-read the article in question before making such an obtuse statement.

First of all, the article opens with:

"One of the findings common to experiments with laboratory animals and to surveys conducted on human subjects ..."

Furthermore, the author refers to studies on humans in defense of his conclusion about the the foetus. Where the author references rats alone it is to refer to studies which had sought, at that time, to examine the mechanism by which such a relationship occurs.

However, the conclusion drawn by the author in the article is borne out by the experimental obstetric evidence:

Transplacental Passage of Ketamine after Intravenous Administration

So in the context of Mark's original point about the efficacy of fetal anaesthesia delivered to the mother the article I linked to previously does indeed support Mark's point.

• Advertisement

You realise science is the reason abortions are so accessible?

And the second half of the first line reveals it for a strawman:
    NEARLY one in three of the country’s psychiatrists who treat adults is concerned at the government’s proposal to introduce legislation which would allow a pregnant and suicidal have an abortion as treatment.

No-one is proposing abortion as a treatment for suicide ideation.

What science? Because all the science in the past few pages has completely contradicted you.

If there is a picture in my head then I am sure that you posted it there.

Explain to me exactly what you support then. Where and when can an abortion be got, in your opinion?

suicide is not a valid reason for abortion infact in the research done its proven to cause more damage to women than a full term birth women who have had abortions are at a 30% greater risk of commiting suicide.

link previously posted.

Without even going through the article, the very first line contradicts you:
    "Nearly one in three of the country’s psychiatrists...".
    One in three is 33%, not 90%

no 90% of psychiatrists polled. other have not made a statement eitherway.

in that case divide the 10% of pro choice in to the total number of psychiatrists and only 3% would support this law.

this.

suicide is not a valid reason for abortion infact in the research done its proven to cause more damage to women than a full term birth women who have had abortions are at a 30% greater risk of commiting suicide.

link previously posted.

And another link previously posted showed that to be bunk. There is no increased risk of suicide for women from having an abortion.

So 90% of 30% of the total psychiatrists disagree. That's 32% of the psychiatrists, rather than the 90% you originally claimed.

Which would be fine if you hadn't said: "90% of [psychiatrists] oppose suicide in this bill." Your mistake here has tripled the value that your reference supports (ignoring whether or not the reference itself is valid), so it makes me wonder what else you have said that is also greatly exaggerated.

in that case divide the 10% of pro choice in to the total number of psychiatrists and only 3% would support this law.

this,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭oldrnwisr

OK, I don't know whether you're being deliberately misleading but I'm willing, for the moment, to give you the benefit of the doubt.

The article states that there are 350 psychiatrists in total in Ireland. It then states that 302 of these were contacted or 86.3%. It then says that only 40% of this group responded to the survey. Therefore only 34.5% of all psychiatrists were polled. Of those psychiatrists, 113 agreed with the statement. Therefore only 32.2% of psychiatrists have a concern with the legislation and not 90% as you claimed:

Now as for your other mis-statement, abortion is not associated with negative psychological outcomes as this study shows:

Induced First-Trimester Abortion and Risk of Mental Disorder

This study shows that the incidence rate of psychiatric contact in those seeking first-term abortions went from 14.6 per 1000 person-years before abortion to 15.2 after. The 95% C.I. of the two groups overlapped, showing that there is no evidence to suggest that there is any negative psychological impact arising from abortion.
    Pregnancy on the other hand is associated with significant increased negative psychological impact with incidence rates rising from 3.9 before to 6.7 after.

So, again your claim that:

link previously posted.

is wrong.

• Advertisement

oldrnwisr wrote: »
    OK, I don't know whether you're being deliberately misleading but I'm willing, for the moment, to give you the benefit of the doubt.

The article states that there are 350 psychiatrists in total in Ireland. It then states that 302 of these were contacted or 86.3%. It then says that only 40% of this group responded to the survey. Therefore only 34.5% of all psychiatrists were polled. Of those psychiatrists, 113 agreed with the statement. Therefore only 32.2% of psychiatrists have a concern with the legislation and not 90% as you claimed:

Now as for your other mis-statement, abortion is not associated with negative psychological outcomes as this study shows:

Induced First-Trimester Abortion and Risk of Mental Disorder

This study shows that the incidence rate of psychiatric contact in those seeking first-term abortions went from 14.6 per 1000 person-years before abortion to 15.2 after. The 95% C.I. of the two groups overlapped, showing that there is no evidence to suggest that there is any negative psychological impact arising from abortion.
    Pregnancy on the other hand is associated with significant increased negative psychological impact with incidence rates rising from 3.9 before to 6.7 after.

So, again your claim that:

is wrong.
    not true.

and also how can you suggest that psychiatrist that did not respond support the this law,thats crazy...where were these vast majority of psychiatrist during the senate hearings??? :eek:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement