Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abortion/ *Note* Thread Closing Shortly! ! !

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Obliq wrote: »
    But aren't we looking at ways to address the imbalance of a woman being able to terminate a pregnancy against the wishes of a man, and a man being able to do a similar termination (as far as he can - financial abortion :rolleyes:) against the wishes of a woman? It doesn't make sense anyway....just an ethical conundrum for your lunchtime, so the two can't be equated anyway. Not equitable, as you say.

You shouldn't look to redress that. It's not possible and trying makes you look pretty silly to most people. However, legally an unmarried couple and an unmarried woman can terminate their parental responsibilities after birth through the process of adoption. Presuming the upcoming children's referendum passes married couples and married women will also have that option in the near future. Men do not have that option and I don't believe there are any plans to change that.

That's an imbalance and that's what you should look to redress because it's possible, it's not silly and it would achieve the exact same thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

iguana wrote: »
    You shouldn't look to redress that. It's not possible and trying makes you look pretty silly to most people. However, legally an unmarried couple and an unmarried woman can terminate their parental responsibilities after birth through the process of adoption. Presuming the upcoming children's referendum passes married couples and married women will also have that option in the near future. Men do not have that option and I don't believe there are any plans to change that.

That's an imbalance and that's what you should look to redress because it's possible, it's not silly and it would achieve the exact same thing.

Ouch:-( Actually, as Rev Hellfire will surely testify, it was just an ethical conundrum that we were beating out between himself, Paudla and myself. If ye read the comments (pages) previously, you'll see that it was a lateral offshoot to the main topic that was pretty much 'True discussion for the sake of it' and an adventure into 'makey upy land'.
    To be straight with you, regarding your last line that men don't have that option (and in my opinion, shouldn't, until science advances far enough that men can give birth;)), I think we covered that fairly effectively. No harm meant, and if harm was done to you in any way, shape or form, then I shall apologise (once you can tell me how it harmed you, that is). All the best, Obliq.

In breaking news over the weekend.......

557862_10151098155159226_125155030_n.jpg

RTE seemed to be lacking in camera crew and reporters, so the job was done for them. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Sorry to detract from the serious nature of the thread, but is that an actual screengrab of an RTE broadcast with "THINK OUTSIDE MY BOX" centre stage? Cos that would be awesome.
    But my gut says someone superimposed an image of the march on a still of Eileen.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

No way in hell that was on RTE seamus. :)
    Found on this Facebook page no doubt.

• Advertisement

seamus wrote: »
    Sorry to detract from the serious nature of the thread, but is that an actual screengrab of an RTE broadcast with "THINK OUTSIDE MY BOX" centre stage? Cos that would be awesome.
    But my gut says someone superimposed an image of the march on a still of Eileen.

Yup, photoshopped. But effective :D
    Has been generating more awareness online in the last day than RTE did, due to their decision (for whatever reason???:mad:) not to report on the 2,500+ people who marched for choice on Sept 29th within walking distance from RTE. Shot themselves in the foot big-time by ignoring us.

Beruthiel wrote: »
    No way in hell that was on RTE seamus. :)
    Found on this Facebook page no doubt.

Correct :D

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Has been generating more awareness online in the last day than RTE did, due to their decision (for whatever reason???:mad:) not to report on the 2,500+ people who marched for choice on Sept 29th within walking distance from RTE. Shot themselves in the foot big-time by ignoring us.

But an orangutan used an ipad in Dublin zoo, surely that's the bigger issue here? where are your priorities ffs.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

krudler wrote: »
    But an orangutan used an ipad in Dublin zoo...
    I was wondering who bumped the Origin of Specious Nonsense thread. :pac:

krudler wrote: »
    But an orangutan used an ipad in Dublin zoo, surely that's the bigger issue here? where are your priorities ffs.

Quite. Actually, it is my understanding of RTE's priorities that on the 29th, that the sad passing of Larry Cunningham was more newsworthy. At least, that was a segment on the six one that got 1 min 50 seconds of time at the end. I have it in writing from RTE that "other news stories were deemed to have more priority and the march wasn’t covered."

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Disgraceful, what were they thinking of?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,909 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Hold the next demo outside RTE :)

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

ninja900 wrote: »

At least then you can be sure TV3 will be there to film it.

The sheer hypocritical BS spouted by the RCC just makes my blood boil!

chooselife-390x516.png
    MASS GOERS WILL be greeted with the Catholic Church’s new anti-abortion campaign across the country tomorrow.
    http://www.thejournal.ie/catholic-church-abortion-ireland-campaign-625029-Oct2012/

What about the lives of the children who were abused by members of the Catholic clergy after their crimes were reported to these self-appointed guardians of public morality - were their lives not precious and deserving of protection? Apparently not.

Just like they are not deserving of their due compensation from an organisation whose ruler sits on a golden throne surrounded by priceless works of art. :mad:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

MASS GOERS WILL be greeted with the Catholic Church’s new anti-abortion campaign across the country tomorrow.
    Both of them were said to be in full support of the church's stance.

ninja900 wrote: »

All joking aside, that is a seriously good idea. Guaranteed coverage and may upset the Montrose mandarins...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

The rest of us will have it shoved in our faces regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

They were talking about this on the radio, I'm surprised there is no filter in place in a church. I wouldn't want a young child of mine having to listen to a talk about abortion. I'm surprised so many parents of young children allowed them to sit through that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,940 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

^ To be fair, this is a religion which is based on the whole of mankind being condemned by a woman who was tricked by a talking snake into eating an apple.

Any self-respecting omnipotent deity would have at least thought of getting rid of the snake first! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Considering the deity could see the future and know exactly what was going to happen, one can only conclude it had a twisted sense of ... existence

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

^ To be fair, this is a religion which is based on the whole of mankind being condemned by a woman who was tricked by a talking snake into eating an apple.

Any self-respecting omnipotent deity would have at least thought of getting rid of the snake first! :pac:

Ricky Gervais talking about that cracks me up. I can't access youtube so I can't post the link, but it's worth looking for!

bluewolf wrote: »
    Considering the deity could see the future and know exactly what was going to happen, one can only conclude it had a twisted sense of ... existence

Or we are all just sims :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Or we are all just sims :eek:

Nah, we'd be naked in the hottub way more often if that was the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

Even I am bemused as to why the priest had to go on about abortion in mass with young children present. Utter disgrace in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭doctoremma

Sin City - there's a debate on the Christianity board that might interest you. Re: atheist pro-life groups and the division of pro-choice/pro-life along religious lines?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

doctoremma wrote: »
    Sin City - there's a debate on the Christianity board that might interest you. Re: atheist pro-life groups and the division of pro-choice/pro-life along religious lines?

Yeah I saw, but at the moment I dont have the time to commit to another big argument. I said my piece

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭robp

No, incorrect. The catholic church and most major strands of Christianity do not teach literal truth in Genesis. That is well known! Its practically trolling to say otherwise. You will get the odd few who dissent from the official view, that is inevitable.

The CC is right to discourage easing abortion access but its important that people don't see it as a religious issue as its actually a human rights issue. Likewise it would be nice to see a similar effort by human rights groups and religions. Once people know its medically unnecessary most people disagree with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

robp wrote: »
    Once people know its medically unnecessary

What?
    most people disagree with it.

What?

robp wrote: »
    No, incorrect. The catholic church and most major strands of Christianity do not teach literal truth in Genesis. That is well known! Its practically trolling to say otherwise.

The CC is right to discourage easing abortion access but its important that people don't see it as a religious issue as its actually a human rights issue. Once people know its medically unnecessary most people disagree with it.

The CC does not want to ease access to abortion-it wants to completely prevent access to abortion.

But you are correct to say it is a human rights issue - the right of a woman to exercise control over her own body.

All abortion is medically unnecessary is it? Reeelllllyyyy????

What about psychologically necessary?

• Advertisement

Sin City wrote: »
    Even I am bemused as to why the priest had to go on about abortion in mass with young children present. Utter disgrace in my opinion

They're not great with kids, are they?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement