Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abortion/ *Note* Thread Closing Shortly! ! !

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Mario852

swampgas wrote: »
    You must be new to the internet. Ever heard of Godwin?

And yes, I had read the entire thread when I posted what I posted.

People judge the value of life all the time, as I illustrated. It's important that we do. Do you think a hamster has the same value to you as a child? If not, then you just made a judgement on which life is more valuable. Are you sure you're allowed to do that?

1. Yes, its called a comparison, have anything against them?

2. Unfortunately we do judge but the effects (what we do) of this judging is mostly negative.
    Thats why we should make quick decisions basing them just on our judgement, especially if deciding about someone's existence.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Sarky wrote: »
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and bet that you're not terribly familiar with mental health issues. Would I be somewhere near the mark?
    Weird. I thought exactly the opposite.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Mario852 wrote: »
    I am slowly reading through 100 pages of this interesting thread.
    I am happy that you ran out of arguments about the topic and started using personal insults instead.

If you believe I have insulted you please feel free to report me. If the MODS agree I will gracefully accept an infraction.

I do believe that a person who is advocating the removal of a woman's liberty should she wish to have an abortion is a scary individual.

I do believe that a person who would state that a woman who becomes pregnant due to rape and then wishes to have an abortion is suffering from a mental illness (that is exactly what you have done) to be a scary individual.

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    If you believe I have insulted you please feel free to report me. If the MODS agree I will gracefully accept an infraction.

I do believe that a person who is advocating the removal of a woman's liberty should she wish to have an abortion is a scary individual.

I do believe that a person who would state that a woman who becomes pregnant due to rape and then wishes to have an abortion is suffering from a mental illness (that is exactly what you have done) to be a scary individual.

I am not feeling insulated, I was just pointing out the fact that instead of 'attacking' my arguments, you began to 'attack' me personally.
    This is your own opinion and it would be best if you do not spam the abortion thread with it.

btw. Isn't this just like the liberty the white man's liberty to enslave black people?
    If she is suffering from an illness then she should seek mental help.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Not at all costs, as i have said before, I think it is better for the fetus to die than for both mother and the baby to die.

Ohh and you think it should be turned into an use and flush machine?

Please few pages back before posting, if you are new to this section.

I read everything I miss before posting ;)

I'm just wondering why you would think its okay to basically lock a pregnant women up unless you believe its essential the pregnancy continue to the end. There seems to be no consideration in your point for what the woman may be feeling about the pregnancy or what the mental and emotional impact to her and her family will be if you a) force her to have the baby and b) commit her to an institution.

Can you clarify your point of view?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Ye previously described pregnancy as 9 month of horrendous and unbearable, mental and physical "suffering" and spending rest of your lifes on actually taking care of your child...

Compared to a few weeks of temporary unpleasantness, by killing your unborn child...
    How is it not the easy way out for ye?

Make up your mind people.

I suggest you make up your mind who you are replying to.

The easy way out is paying attention to people like you who have no idea about abortion and what it entails, preffering to bandy about comments how we "like" abortion and its the "easy" way out.

Neither myself nor my pregnant pal killed anyone - a termination took place. That's it. It wasn't liked or easy but it had to happen.

Try and live in the real world before you make such silly postings.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,552 ✭✭✭swampgas

2. Unfortunately we do judge but the effects (what we do) of this judging is mostly negative.
    Thats why we should make quick decisions basing them just on our judgement, especially if deciding about someone's existence.

So if you were drowning in a river, and I decided to risk my life by jumping in to rescue you, because I thought your life had enough value to make it worth the risk, would that be negative?

If I decided to shoot a bear that was about to eat you, because I decided to value a human life above that of an animal, would that be negative?

If I think social welfare is a good idea because I value the lives of the people around me, is that negative?

If I think a woman should have the option of not completing a pregnancy, maybe it's because I've actually thought about the consequences for everyone involved (including the fetus/baby) and decided that it's the least bad option.

I am not feeling insulated, I was just pointing out the fact that instead of 'attacking' my arguments, you began to 'attack' me personally.
    This is your own opinion and it would be best if you do not spam the abortion thread with it.

btw. Isn't this just like the liberty the white man's liberty to enslave black people?
    If she is suffering from an illness then she should seek mental help.

Are you a psychiatric professional qualified to define what is and is not mental illness?

You may not be 'insulated' but I imagine the posters here who have had abortions are insulted to be told they had/have a mental illness.

And what are you talking about re: white man's liberty?

old hippy wrote: »
    I suggest you make up your mind who you are replying to.

The easy way out is paying attention to people like you who have no idea about abortion and what it entails, preffering to bandy about comments how we "like" abortion and its the "easy" way out.

Neither myself nor my pregnant pal killed anyone - a termination took place. That's it. It wasn't liked or easy but it had to happen.

Try and live in the real world before you make such silly postings.

Hitler called his termination a final solution.
    He wasn't really killing anyone, he was just getting rid of those parasites feeding on his country.

As you see there are different points of view, and your one isn't always the only one.

Are you a psychiatric professional qualified to define what is and is not mental illness?

You may not be 'insulated' but I imagine the posters here who have had abortions are insulted to be told they had/have a mental illness.

And what are you talking about re: white man's liberty?

How the white men were taken the legal right to choose to enslave black people. A comparison

• Advertisement

He wasn't really killing anyone, he was just getting rid of those parasites feeding on his country.

As you see there are different points of view

Hitler?

What the quilted fack does Hitler have to do with this?

Have you actually read any replies to your posts?

What do you know about relationships and terminations?

How the white men were taken the legal right to choose to enslave black people. A comparison

But nothing to do with terminations. You've lost the argument, be honest.

But nothing to do with terminations. You've lost the argument, be honest.

If a comparison was to be 100% accurate, it wouldn't be a comparison.
    If you were bothered to read what people wrote before this post, you would know that its a reply comparing "women's liberty".

You still haven't clarified your position on putting women with an intent to have an abortion in institutions Mario. Care to elaborate?

If a comparison was to be 100% accurate, it wouldn't be a comparison.
    If you were bothered to read what people wrote before this post, you would know that its a reply comparing "women's liberty".

Still veering far away from the topic. Neither myself nor my pregnant pal killed anyone - a termination took place. That's it. It wasn't liked or easy but it had to happen.

What do you say to that, besides spurious accusations of "liking" abortions, "easy way" out & Hitler and other nonsense?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Mario, by common convention in this forum, once a poster invokes Hitler, the debate has been conceded -- see Godwin's law.

Please try to keep the debate clean, lest the moderators reach for their dustpan and brushes.

Still veering far away from the topic. Neither myself nor my pregnant pal killed anyone - a termination took place. That's it. It wasn't liked or easy but it had to happen.

What do you say to that, besides spurious accusations of "liking" abortions, "easy way" out & Hitler and other nonsense?

I have used many example to try and explain to you that its just your opinion that you didn't kill anyone, and that other peoples opinion can vary.

It would be easier to understand if you stop refusing or start reading what i have said before commenting.

robindch wrote: »
    Mario, by common convention in this forum, once a poster invokes Hitler, the debate has been conceded -- see Godwin's law.

Please try to keep the debate clean, lest the moderators reach for their dustpan and brushes.

Yes, there already was a person who told me this. No need to spam to be honest.

If this forum is afraid to mention dictatorships for some reason, then I am sorry for breaking the rules. Although i see nothing wrong with it to use for comparison purposes to explain some things to certain people.

eviltwin wrote: »
    You still haven't clarified your position on putting women with an intent to have an abortion in institutions Mario. Care to elaborate?

If they are emotionally unstable, suffering from a mental illness or in a danger of self-harm or causing harm to others then I think she should be helped by some mental-health institutions before its too late.

If they are emotionally unstable, suffering from a mental illness or in a danger of self-harm or causing harm to others then I think she should be helped by some mental-health institutions before its too late.

Thats a lot of women you are condemning to an institution. I wonder do you know anyone who has had an abortion? Are you basing your opinion that these women are mentally ill on any first hand experience or just your own warped opinions?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

Perhaps she could be sent to work in the laundries?

Well, we tried that and it's what led to this legacy of shame around this issue and others of womens' rights over their own bodies.

Thats a lot of women you are condemning to an institution. I wonder do you know anyone who has had an abortion? Are you basing your opinion that these women are mentally ill on any first hand experience or just your own warped opinions?

No, i don't personally know anyone who has an abortion.
    I don't also know any murderers, but that should not stop anyone from expressing their opinions on homicide.

It doesn't matter where the opinion come from to be a valid opinion/fact.

fitz0 wrote: »
    Perhaps she could be sent to work in the laundries?

Well, we tried that and it's what led to this legacy of shame around this issue and others of womens' rights over their own bodies.

Let's just suppose that the whole earth actually are living inside an incredibly intelligent creature. Would it have a right to kill someone as long as they are enclosed inside his body?

Or does a king of a certain country have a right to kill a person inside of the country which is under kings controll?

Its not just hers body, she is sharing it with a new developing human baby.

No, i don't personally know anyone who has an abortion.
    I don't also know any murderers, but that should not stop anyone from expressing their opinions on homicide.

It doesn't matter where the opinion come from to be a valid opinion/fact.

So your opinion that women who have abortions are mentally ill is based on nothing then, no first hand knowledge or anything. The thing is though that chances are you do know a woman who has had an abortion, she just hasn't told you.

As a woman who has had an abortion I can tell you I find it very offensive you would compare a decision I made at a difficult time in my life to the acts of blood lust and depravity carried out by some people for kicks.

Let's just suppose that the whole earth actually are living inside an incredibly intelligent creature. Would it have a right to kill someone as long as they are enclosed inside his body?

Or does a king of a certain country have a right to kill a person inside of the country which is under kings controll?

Its not just hers body, she is sharing it with a new developing human baby.

Why do we not charge soldiers who kill in the line of duty with murder?

So your opinion that women who have abortions are mentally ill is based on nothing then, no first hand knowledge or anything. The thing is though that chances are you do know a woman who has had an abortion, she just hasn't told you.

As a woman who has had an abortion I can tell you I find it very offensive you would compare a decision I made at a difficult time in my life to the acts of blood lust and depravity carried out by some people for kicks.

Its based on logic => 2+2=4 would be right no matter who says it.

If that person is emotionally unstable or is very likely to commit self-hard or to harm other people then that person is obviously mentally ill.

The example I used before (A. Hitler) doing it for a 'greater' good, too. At least he thought he was.

Why do we not charge soldiers who kill in the line of duty with murder?

This is unfortunately has to be done to prevent greater loss.
    I am against the not-needed type of homicide.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

If this forum is afraid to mention dictatorships for some reason, then I am sorry for breaking the rules. Although i see nothing wrong with it to use for comparison purposes to explain some things to certain people.
    The convention about mentioning Hitler is in place not because "this forum is afraid to mention dictatorships" -- heavens, the Vatican comes up here I suppose fifty times a day -- but because it's so tediously predictable. Have a read again of that wiki on Godwin's law.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

Its based on logic => 2+2=4 would be right no matter who says it.

And 2+2=5 would be wrong no matter who says it. Which is why all opinions are not valid.

So far you've implied that women who have abortions are mentally ill murderers who need to be locked up and that womens liberty, which you bizarrely put into brackets, is comparable to the slave trade, and lets not forget Hitler Hitler Hitler.

No one here agrees with your opinion and funnily enough, neither do the pro-life organisations.

You're completely on your own with your very unpopular opinions. You're adding up to 5, no matter what you think.
    The convention about mentioning Hitler is in place not because "this forum is afraid to mention dictatorships" -- heavens, the Vatican comes up here I suppose fifty times a day -- but because it's so tediously predictable. Have a read again of that wiki on Godwin's law.

See also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reductio_ad_Hitlerum

• Advertisement

I don't quite get what your point is.
    Please elaborate on that if you don't mind.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement