Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abortion/ *Note* Thread Closing Shortly! ! !

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

You, it really annoys me when I hear the 'I'd hate to see abortion being used as a form of contraception' argument. Its almost like it HAS to be this big, enormous, soul searching event, reached after days or weeks of agonising contemplation. It's a hell of a lot easier to have the choice available but it seems for Irish women we SHOULD have to have things be difficult. Almost like 'if you're stupid enough to get into the mess, there should be no easy way out for you, you hussy'.

Its like the Brass Eye 'good aids/bad aids' parody. You had a one night stand and didn't bother with a condom=bad abortion, you had a diagnosis of incompatibility with life=good abortion. The end result is the same, a termination of pregnancy. Why does it REALLY matter why a woman wants to reach that destination? How does for reasons for an abortion affect anyone else's life, apart from the woman who has to go through it? If I had an wanted pregnancy, I'd take an early stage non surgical abortion over a c section and being saddled with a child any day. Who cares why i would want an abortion and why shouldn't it be an easy decision?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

robindch wrote: »
    I'm not sure whether you're just having a laugh or whether you're being serious here :)

In the offchance of the latter, then I suggest you go visit, say, Russia (rich and dangerous) or North Korea (poor and dangerous). I've been to both -- Russia many times -- and if you think that Ireland is lame in any way, then believe me on this, you have no clue just how insanely stressful and even physically dangerous normal everyday living can be, and in comparison, just how amazingly safe, generous, trusting and plentiful life is here in Ireland for most people.

For the record, even though you didn't ask me, I thought it was quite blackly funny. I recognise perfectly well how good we have it here compared to some appallingly oppressive places, but a little DISGUST at how Ireland has, and continues to conduct itself over the issue of abortion is no bad thing IMO. And if that disgust is expressed by saying Ireland is the arsehole of the world (even if that statement doesn't stand up to much scrutiny at all), then at least we could take the persons sense of disgust as valid.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    But, and herein lies the crux, I can explain why I disagree with your disagreement.
    It's because I think women should have inviolate control over what happens their own bodies.
    that's just YOUR opinion.

And why do you disagree with women having control of their own bodies? Do you think that a woman should be chaperoned by a male family member at all times? Should we be allowed to vote? After all, if we can't be trusted to make decisions about our own bodies we can hardly be allowed a say in the running of the country.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

see that's the problem when people present wide sweeping opinions as facts.
    they tend to look silly.
    icon4.png

This kind of comment makes my troll-o-meter twitch. Adds nothing, and posted to antagonise.

Careful now.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Aiel wrote: »
    For yer consideration:

http://www.180movie.com/

:)
    Ah, a documentary brought to us by our old friend, Ray Comfort.

The atheists' nightmare, indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

No, I'm saying the coincidence of a rational decision to suicide and a demand for an abortion is likely to be so rare that it shouldn't demand so much attention. Plus, I'm insinuating that the Supreme Court were just looking for some basis on which to enable something else to happen -.................

....baseless speculation. You seem to think the supreme court is something that can be leant on like a group of county councillors on a quango somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,941 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Remember, there's another place where bananas fit well. Hint: a certain thespian ex-user wouldn't like it.

my opinion.

If you can't back it up, its not worth coming out with.
    try living in Syria or Pakistan. .

We aren't living there, nor are we talking about legislating for there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 702 ✭✭✭goodie2shoes

28064212 wrote: »
    4075293519_63f3ed83c3.jpg

The Dude Abides.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

lazygal wrote: »
    You, it really annoys me when I hear the 'I'd hate to see abortion being used as a form of contraception' argument. Its almost like it HAS to be this big, enormous, soul searching event, reached after days or weeks of agonising contemplation. It's a hell of a lot easier to have the choice available but it seems for Irish women we SHOULD have to have things be difficult. Almost like 'if you're stupid enough to get into the mess, there should be no easy way out for you, you hussy'.

Its like the Brass Eye 'good aids/bad aids' parody. You had a one night stand and didn't bother with a condom=bad abortion, you had a diagnosis of incompatibility with life=good abortion. The end result is the same, a termination of pregnancy. Why does it REALLY matter why a woman wants to reach that destination? How does for reasons for an abortion affect anyone else's life, apart from the woman who has to go through it? If I had an wanted pregnancy, I'd take an early stage non surgical abortion over a c section and being saddled with a child any day. Who cares why i would want an abortion and why shouldn't it be an easy decision?

Totally agree. It would be an easy decision for me. If that makes me a monster then so be it. I'll live with the consequences.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Remember, there's another place where bananas fit well. Hint: a certain thespian ex-user wouldn't like it.

Would that be in your pocket Ted?

:pac:

Nodin wrote: »
    If you can't back it up, its not worth coming out with.

who said i couldn't back it up?
    you're making more assumptions again.

...then please do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

you're making more assumptions again.

Since you refuse to share the reason you hold that particular opinion why bother sharing that particular opinion on a discussion forum?

...then please do so.

what exactly do you want me to back up?

what exactly do you want me to back up?

This.
    for far too long this (as with many other issues in our society) has been swept under the carpet. that said i dunno if we are ready for abortion on demand. hopefully not.
    (my bold)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

I'd hate to see abortion being used as a form of contraception'

I'd hate to see cars being used to kill people.
    Funny how pro lifers never protest cars...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Since you refuse to share the reason you hold that particular opinion why bother sharing that particular opinion on a discussion forum?
    "That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.”

Hitchens

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

Dades wrote: »

Haha, fundie Christians don't know how to open bananas!

(The most efficient way is to squeeze open the side opposite to the stalk, as the other primates do.)

This.

hopefully not.
    (my bold)

(sorry i was walking the dog)
    personally i would prefer not to see abortion on demand, just as many others would welcome it.
    i don't see what's to "back up" tbh???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bobby42

Dades wrote: »

What about coconuts?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

personally i would prefer not to see abortion on demand, just as many others would welcome it.

What is "abortion on demand", exactly? Is it like beer on tap?

old hippy wrote: »
    What is "abortion on demand", exactly? Is it like beer on tap?

no i wouldn't imagine so. beer is legal if your over 18.

robindch wrote: »
    "That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.”

Hitchens

The most savage controversies are about matters as to which there is no good evidence either way.

Bertrand Russell

• Registered Users Posts: 10,634 ✭✭✭✭28064212

The most savage controversies are about matters as to which there is no good evidence either way.

Bertrand Russell
    That's not actually a rebuttal to Robin's point, that's just a comment that is laterally related to the general topic of abortion.

Your personal opinion is that you "would prefer not to see abortion on demand". Why? If I said my personal opinion is that the moon is made of cheese, would you just blithely agree and say "well, that's your opinion"?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

Why are you against it?

That's not actually a rebuttal to Robin's point, that's just a comment that is laterally related to the general topic of abortion.

no it's not. you clearly have not understood it, and you're attempting to appear intellectual and failed miserably in the process.
    it's a comment on the inverse relationship between evidence and controversy.
    Your personal opinion is that you "would prefer not to see abortion on demand". Why? If I said my personal opinion is that the moon is made of cheese, would you just blithely agree and say "well, that's your opinion"?

i'm not qualified to answer that.
    maybe you should try the astronomy forum?

Why are you against it?

it's illegal.
    do you advocate breaking the law?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

The Dude Abides.:D
    You know there's a church of dudeism & you can become a minister online.....I may have done this ;)

• Advertisement

Lelantos wrote: »
    You know there's a church of dudeism & you can become a minister online.....I may have done this ;)

"Careful Man! There's a beverage here!":D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement