Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abortion/ *Note* Thread Closing Shortly! ! !

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Meanwhile, at the "pro-life" demo....

A9Se-fiCEAA_cYk.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

Nodin wrote: »

A9Se-fiCEAA_cYk.jpg

I'm liking the first comment after the photo....

"Nice dress. Would be scarleh if someone showed up in the same outfit."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

A9Se-fiCEAA_cYk.jpg
    Why is he crying a giant plus sign?

On the protest, I heard some lunatics on the radio raving about how they don't want the government to legalize the killing of 'innocent babies'. But most importantly, they caused absolutely mental traffic, the bastards!!! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Why is he crying a giant plus sign?

it's Roman Catholicism+

• Moderators Posts: 51,798 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

some folk having a good ol' pray at the protest.

abeafefb1775bcdec36d9c59ed8951222afc80e5aa6b5f109cbd611c645f17af.jpg

More on the Journal

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Can't wait for the YD Facebook page post: "We might not be much good at judging the size of crowds but we reckon about 17 million showed up to pro-life protest".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭mewe

Galvasean wrote: »
    Point of pedantry, but a fetus is not a child much in the same way that a child is not an adult. Constantly refering to a fetus as a child stikes me as trying to attach extra emotional value to the discussion at hand.

No you're right a foetus is not a child but i wasn't tryin to attach extra emotional value to the discussion. I was merely expressing my opinion. Whatever terminology is used isn't really important to me. What is important is a foetus is a life.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,941 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Oh yeah. We're totally not opposing abortion on any religious grounds. :rolleyes:

• Moderators Posts: 51,798 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

A9Se-fiCEAA_cYk.jpg

Nothing says pro-life like someone dressed up as the protagonist of a snuff film/book. :rolleyes:

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition.

• Advertisement

Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition.

If they were still capable of doing their thang I wouldn't be surprised if they paid me a visit tbh.
    Or as son of mine once put it - If I had been around at the time of the SI they would have had to set me on fire, then put the fire out just so they could set me on fire again. Once wouldn't be enough...

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    If they were still capable of doing their thang I wouldn't be surprised if they paid me a visit tbh.
    Or as son of mine once put it - If I had been around at the time of the SI they would have had to set me on fire, then put the fire out just so they could set me on fire again. Once wouldn't be enough...

Thats true. The bigotry against cork people really has gone too far, I feel.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,417 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I'm sure we'll still hear plenty about how they've been ignored by the media. Blah blah.

Thats true. The bigotry against cork people really has gone too far, I feel.

I blame Jack Lynch - he wasn't a Corkman like - he was a Fianna Failer through and through. :mad:

Zombrex wrote: »
    What rights do people want the unborn child to have? A non-descript "right to life" is largely useless unless you define what that actually means.

For example, does the child's "right to life" mean it has rights over the woman as to the woman's body in order to sustain its own life? If so why, and when does that right go away?

Well the unborn child,or should i say foetus because the use of scientific terminology seems very important to some people in this thread,is a life and therefore should have rights,the same as the rest of us in my opinion.
    I did also state in my earlier post that abortion should be permitted if the mothers life is at risk.
    I'm basically against simply making abortion legal and just having the choice there.
    I think abortion should be a last resort and only legal when the mothers life is at risk.
    Thats my opinion anyways.

mewe wrote: »
    Well the unborn child,or should i say foetus because the use of scientific terminology seems very important to some people in this thread,is a life and therefore should have rights,the same as the rest of us in my opinion.
    I did also state in my earlier post that abortion should be permitted if the mothers life is at risk.
    I'm basically against simply making abortion legal and just having the choice there.
    I think abortion should be a last resort and only legal when the mothers life is at risk.
    Thats my opinion anyways.

And the mothers health...?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,417 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2012/1204/breaking59.html

In an impassioned speech, Niamh Uí Bhrian, spokeswoman for the Life Institute, said their anti-abortion stance had not changed.

“We are not for turning and we will not yield,” she said.“We are proud to be a pro-life nation, we are here to tell the politicians in Dáil Eireann that they may have destroyed our economy but we will never let them kill our children.”

~

Alan Hannigan from Dublin who attended the vigil said: “I’m here because abortion is absolutely disgraceful and it shouldn’t be let in to the country. It’s murder. None of us has the right to kill a child and that’s just the way it is. It’s the law of heaven.”

I thought we weren't allowed to use this recent tragedy...

Heaven? Good one...

I thought we weren't allowed to use this recent tragedy...

Heaven? Good one...

We are not for turning and we will not yield,” she said.“We are proud to be a pro-life nation, we are here to tell the politicians in Dáil Eireann that they may have destroyed our economy but we will never let them kill our children.”

emmm.....not quite, madam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭Atomicjuicer

And the mothers health...?

Abortion is unhealthy for women as well as the unborn:
    http://www.silentnomoreawareness.org/

O look - an anti-abortion website.

So if a woman suffering a miscarriage is in extreme emotional distress as well as physical pain...what then?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

And the cycle of ignorance repeats.

Anti-choicers, eh? They never learn.

Have you any objective scientific peer reviewed studies to support that contention or do you expect us to believe it just because an anti-abortion web site says so?

If it's the latter I think you'll find you are in the wrong forum for that kind of nonsense to go unchallenged.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭oldrnwisr

This is supposed to be evidence of what exactly?

It may seem cliched at this point but it's worth pointing out that the plural of anecdote is not data.

Anti-abortion activists make a lot of claims about the negative effects of abortion. They never seem to be able to back up these claims unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭Atomicjuicer

Bannasidhe wrote: »

Have you any objective scientific peer reviewed studies to support that contention or do you expect us to believe it just because an anti-abortion web site says so?

If it's the latter I think you'll find you are in the wrong forum for that kind of nonsense to go unchallenged.

I'm not in the wrong forum. Can't please ye - do you want proof and references from the people who have actually gone through the nightmare you push or not?

And it's ye who will be challenged mark my words.

Ireland is prolife.

Here's another link for you:

http://www.womenhurt.ie/

old hippy wrote: »
    What bandwagon jumping? Who is bandwagon jumping? The life of the unborn what?

Ireland has a long history of treating women as second class citizens, it's time to address this and right some wrongs.

I think a lot of people are bandwagon jumping on this issue. There is a strong anti religious and anti government feeling in this country which is totally understandable but i believe this issue has been lumped into those categories and there is people who have got caught up in that whereas for me its a seperate issue.

There is a mocking of people who are pro life going on here too. As if all pro life people are staunchly catholic,ignorant etc etc.
    I was brought up in a very liberal family,am anti government myself and wouldn't be very religious at all but have respect for all religions.

Your point about the unborn what? Yes you're right the correct scientific terminology is foetus.
    On your point about Ireland having a long history of treating women as second class citizens you are also right but two wrongs don't make a right.
    The foetus is a life too and therefore shouldn't be treated as a second class citizen either in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭oldrnwisr

I'm not in the wrong forum. Can't please ye - do you want proof and references from the people who have actually gone through the nightmare you push or not?

Ireland is prolife.

Wonderful, yet another propaganda site (or so it seems). Perhaps you misread Bannasidhe's post. She asked (as did I) for actual evidence, you know, not some unrepresentative scaremongering.

WARNING: My AV is throwing up a spyware attack alert when I click on the link above. Beware!

Ireland is prolife.

Did you deliberately link to a site infested with malware?

Do you want proof and references from women who were forced to endure unwanted pregnancies and live a nightmare pushed on all women by the likes of you?

emmm.....not quite, madam.

Funny how often they claim to speak for the people of Ireland...we've heard that several times over the past few years.

iirc, I've seen posters for this site in train stations, but I can't get into it now due to a malware warning. I recall doing a 'who is' query on it...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I stubbed my toe on a chair today, ban all the chairs!!!

• Advertisement

mewe wrote: »
    I think a lot of people are bandwagon jumping on this issue. There is a strong anti religious and anti government feeling in this country which is totally understandable but i believe this issue has been lumped into those categories and there is people who have got caught up in that whereas for me its a seperate issue.

There is a mocking of people who are pro life going on here too. As if all pro life people are staunchly catholic,ignorant etc etc.
    I was brought up in a very liberal family,am anti government myself and wouldn't be very religious at all but have respect for all religions.

Your point about the unborn what? Yes you're right the correct scientific terminology is foetus.
    On your point about Ireland having a long history of treating women as second class citizens you are also right but two wrongs don't make a right.
    The foetus is a life too and therefore shouldn't be treated as a second class citizen either in my opinion.

My opinion is that neither should women and as 'first class' citizens women should have inviolate control over their own bodies - as men do.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement