Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HELP! Anyone know how to prevent inbound "Blocked" calls??

Options
  • 27-08-2012 2:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭

Thinking someone else must have been thru this and maybe knows the answer.

I have an iPhone4s for a while now and my number for over 4 years.

2 weeks ago I started receiving calls which show on my phone display as "Blocked"
    normally I totally ignore anything from a number other than my contacts list...working off the logic that if the call is important enough they'll leave a message. Not so in this case and they keep coming every day, randomly and between 4-6 times. I eventually bit on one occasion and picked up but just silence on other end, zero. Starting to think its a crank/scam/autodialler gone wrong, dunno but it's pissing me off now.

SO I contacted Vodafone who claimed that they see the incoming calls alright but they can't stop them as they themselves have no number to go off?!? Can that be really true??

I've read that the only way to stop this is to either 1) change my number or 2) subscribe to something like Trapcall.com (a service that unmasks blocked calls to your phone but I think these guys are only in the US and anyway I'd be fairly disappointed to think that I end up having to pay someone to prevent this occurring!!!

Can Vodafone's lack of tech ability in this area really be true? That they cannot id and block this incoming caller whom/whatever it is?

Has anyone out there had my experience and solved it?

thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

The networks can see the calls, but only at a network level. The call centre staff would not be able to see it. Technically, forced incoming ID can be switched on, but its a breach of privacy laws. Not much you can do. If it becomes a severe nuisance, go to the gardai. Their mobile phone department (cant remember their proper name) will contact your relevant network provider. Information will then be passed as its classed as harassment. It will enter the courts, and then it will stop

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

You can try www.mcleaner.com/iphone_mcleaner.jsp
    I haven't used it myself so not sure how effective it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,458 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

OP, when you do answer the call do you say anything like 'hello'? If you say nothing and the other side says nothing then the likelihood is that you are being called by a machine which is programmed to route the call to a free agent as soon as you say something.

If you want to get rid of them you need to engage with them to get your number off their list of prospects. If they're a legitimate company selling some product or service then maybe make something up like that you are an impoverished student and they'll probably lose interest in you.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭martco

mmm
    very tempted..but I'd have to jailbreak the phone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Ellsbells

Get a whistle and blow it loud into the phone when they call....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭confuseddotcom

I don't like answering non-id calls myself but is there any possibility it could be a prospective Employer O.P? Lots of Employers tend to ring on private, they shouldn't even be allowed to do that i.m.o. Maybe ya could be missing out on a potential Interview for a fab. job?!? :eek::pac:

Advertisement