Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NAMA says landlord can't lower rent?

Options
  • 27-08-2012 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭

Recently I spoke to the agency who deal with the property I occupy.

I inquired about a rent reduction given the prices are lower in neighboring properties.

I was told by the agency that NAMA has said no to any rent reductions on any of the landlords properties.

Have people come across this before?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Find somewhere else to rent, where the landlord isn't under the control of NAMA.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭deirdremf

Jazzzman wrote: »
    Recently I spoke to the agency who deal with the property I occupy.

I inquired about a rent reduction given the prices are lower in neighboring properties.

I was told by the agency that NAMA has said no to any rent reductions on any of the landlords properties.

Have people come across this before?
    I'd say that this has nothing to do with NAMA and everything to do with the EA, as he is likely to get a cut - % - so why would he want to drop your rent, particularly when he can put the blame on someone else?

You could call his bluff by asking him to show you the letter from NAMA saying that he can't vary rents. A letter like that would have to be on headed notepaper, to begin with. But I bet that he isn't able to show you anything.

Have you thought of forgetting to pay your rent? If it is genuinely a NAMA property, you could probably live scot free for a year or more before they got around to turfing you out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

deirdremf wrote: »
    Have you thought of forgetting to pay your rent? If it is genuinely a NAMA property, you could probably live scot free for a year or more before they got around to turfing you out.

That is bizarre advice. You do realise that, we, the taxpayer own NAMA?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,402 ✭✭✭✭Victor

It's a matter of who will blink first. An empty apartment gets no rent.

You are entitled to a rent review in line with market rates on an annual basis.

Advertisement