Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbour's tree making mess in my garden

Options
  • 27-08-2012 3:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

I live in a housing estate and my neighbour has a few high trees that drop dead leaves in my garden. Is it in my right to ask him to trim the trees down or is there just nothing I can do about it?

I mean, I will ask him politely, but if he refuses is there anything I can do or is it his right to have trees as high as he pleases and I just have to suck it up and clean my own garden?

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Anything that hangs across your fence you can cut without his permission. You must return the cuttings to him though.

However. Id recommend having a chat before you run out with the saw and ruin relations. Which is worse? The mess from the leaves or potentially falling out with a neighbour.

You could gather the leaves into bags and compost them. Good for plants.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭looksee

If the leaves are just blowing into your garden I can't imagine there is much you can do about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 kosie

looksee wrote: »
    If the leaves are just blowing into your garden I can't imagine there is much you can do about it.

Well, yes, the trees as high and some of the branched hang over to my side. So all the leaves that fall, land directly in my garden.

No, I will not just cut without having a chat first, just wanted to find out if my neighbour refuses to do anything about them, if there is anything I can do or do I just clean up and that is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭looksee

If the branches hang over, then you can do something about it, it might not completely solve the problem of leaves coming in though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

You can trim the branches back that are overhanging into your garden.You can trim back to your side of the boundary.
    The autumn and winter months and strong winds will still blow leaves into your garden though,so cutting branches back wont really solve anything.

But I would have a polite conversation with your neighbour about the matter 1st.

How much of a mess can some dead and wet leaves make??

I think that its part of nature and the seasons,and its a nice sight to see...especially in a housing estate where there is so much concrete and man made objects.

Cutting down trees and getting rid of plants and trees is not very nice IMO.

Concrete jungles and lack of nature,trees,plants are not very appealing to me.:(

PS-Dead leaves collected and used to make a leaf mould pile is a good use for them.When this rots down,it makes for a great medium for your gardens and plants.:)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yep, you can't isolate the garden from the world around you, no more than you could complain about birds coming into the garden.
    sweep 'em up and maybe offer them to a gardener friend?

Advertisement