Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help with Healthy eating ideas - please

• 27-08-2012 3:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Lambchops65

Hi all,

I am finally getting back into the swing of the whole exercise thing (bootcamp class twice a week and gym 2-4 times a week) so now it's just my diet I need to work on beacuase at the moment I am training so I can eat more crap which isn't the aim...lol :rolleyes:

Just wondering if people have suggestions for quick and healthy breakfasts, lunches, dinners and snacks?

Few things to bear in mind:
    • Don't eat any meat
    • Hate porridge, avocados and peanut butter ;)
    • Due to work and family commitments - I leave my house early (around 6:50am) and some/most days don't arrive home till after 9pm!!
    Any suggestions would be helpful - thanks:D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

Omlettes!

Why do you hate porridge?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SunnyDub1

eggs for breakfast. Loads you can do with an egg omelet, scrambled, boiled etc. Doesn't take long to prep and cook an egg.
    If you don't have time in the mornings, boil a few eggs the night before leave them in the fridge over night and have them on the go. Boiled egg is a great snack as well.

Fish - fish is high in protein, good fats and oils. And loads of diff kinds.
    Can be eating as lunch or dinner.
    Tuna salad. Salmon salad.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Lambchops65

Thanks guys.

Porridge - Would LOVE to like it but can't stomach it. Its the texture - same reason I can't eat rice puddings, avocados, bread and butter pudding...blugh..lol

Eggs I love but eating a boiled egg on the train or at my desk!! The smell...lol. Maybe if I get up earlier, I could eat eggs before I leave the house...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Colibri

I second the egg suggestion. Boil a few in advance :)

Cheese crisps? Grate cheese on a greaseproof paper and microwave for 20-30 seconds and let cool :)

Meals?

Fill a plate with vegetables, side with meat, top with butter/oil and seasoning. Fast, very healthy and tasty :)

Ooooooooh or a favourite of mine:

Chuck a load of vegetables and in a slow cooker of water and throw in some seasoning like thyme. Start the cooker in the morning and by the time you get home late at night, there will be a fantastic smell in the house and a lovely dinner waiting to be eaten :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Colibri wrote: »
    Chuck a load of vegetables and meat in a slow cooker of water and throw in some seasoning like thyme. Start the cooker in the morning and by the time you get home late at night, there will be a fantastic smell in the house and a lovely dinner waiting to be eaten :D

Doesn't eat meat.

• Advertisement

Doesn't eat meat.

Okay, I read something entirely different there. Apologies!

A nice stew/slow roast can be made without meat too :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 922 ✭✭✭Vico1612

Hi,

I follow this on facebook and they have some good ideas : https://www.facebook.com/FitnessRecipes

Vico

Thanks all.

Will check out that facebook site too.

Well this morning so far so good!! Ive just had 2 large slices of homemade brown bread with low low and water with lemon. Brought in my lunch too - large salad with boiled egg ;) prawns and beetroot...

Generally brekkie is either latte or low fat hot choc with a muffin or a cereal bar and cereal. Lunch is generally few biccies and a salad or sambo

snacks I struggle with ...as I snack alot...fruit doesnt fill me so need to buy in some plain rice cakes, ryvitas, cherry tomatoes...:rolleyes:

Is there a reason you're avoiding fat? Fat is good for you :) I'd try and avoid the bread/crackers/biscuits too, if I were you! Empty calories, high carb, no nutrient content.

Hi There,

I am not trying to avoid fat as such?? Just trying to eat more healthily. It is not unusual for me to have a few muffins, packet of biscuits and a chocolate bar every single day so I am trying to be good :rolleyes:

Need to eat more eggs ;) wholemeal bread, fruit, veggies, salad and fish.

I train hard so want to start seeing real results, if that makes sense?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SunnyDub1

Hi There,

I am not trying to avoid fat as such?? Just trying to eat more healthily. It is not unusual for me to have a few muffins, packet of biscuits and a chocolate bar every single day so I am trying to be good :rolleyes:

Need to eat more eggs ;) wholemeal bread, fruit, veggies, salad and fish.

I train hard so want to start seeing real results, if that makes sense?

Weightless is 80% diet and 20% exercise.
    If you want to see results cut out ALL carbs, doesn't matter if it's wholemeal, whole grain (most of the type of bread is just died white bread IMO) and increase your protein and GOOD fats intake.

Muffins and biscuits are not the kind of fats you want in your diet!

SunnyDub1 wrote: »
    Weightless is 80% diet and 20% exercise.
    If you want to see results cut out ALL carbs, doesn't matter if it's wholemeal, whole grain (most of the type of bread is just died white bread IMO) and increase your protein and GOOD fats intake.

Muffins and biscuits are not the kind of fats you want in your diet!

This is my problem! I kill myself working out. Try and eat well all day and then pig out on rubbish late at night! :(

I don't agree with cutting out food groups (carbs or otherwise). Anyway I don't eat meat so need my carbs to keep me full. Most of my meals all have carbs. I don't get full eating fruit, veggies and lentils! :D

I find it difficult to eat alot of protein to be honest. Apart from th eodd tin of tuna or few eggs I have to rely on protein shakes after I lift weight. I haven't found many high protein snacks that I can eat at my desk in work. Oh and I don't eat cottage cheese (it's the texture thing again..:))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

aha so you eat fish?

adamski8 wrote: »
    aha so you eat fish?

Yes, tinned tuna, cod and salmon. I eat fish approx once every 2-3 weeks (not a huge lover to be honest) I wouldn't eat enough for it to be a protein source..

diversify your diet or be happy with what you've got.

I'm afraid there's not much else in the way of advice people can give you.

You're discounting protein in whole food form by saying you can't eat meat, cottage cheese, rarely eat fish etc..

You snack on carbs like there's no tomorrow, your insulin levels are probably flying up and down giving you crazy hunger pangs compared to someone on a good varied meat & veg diet.

Time to get brave and start trying new meats, fish, avacados etc. If you can't get sources of protein and essential fats into your diet, and are sticking to your guns on that, then how can you expect to change?

Harsh words perhaps, but sometimes the answer isn't what you wanted to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 hellosunshine2

I hope you will like this.

Apple_Oatmeal_Pancakes1.png

Advertisement