Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

need rehoming for my pup

• 27-08-2012 3:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

my son brought home a pup 6 weeks ago after offering to mind the pup for someone for 2 weeks on facebook. she has since blocked him and we cant contact her to return him. i have fostered dogs before but cant keep them longterm. Ive tried rescue centres to get sparky rehomed but their all full. hes 5 month old collie cross, hes small dog, very friendly, almost house trained, bit boisterious at times. can anyone please help me to rehome him?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

Did your son collect the dog from the house, any chance you could call back and try sort it out?
    There seems to be a big glut of dogs/ cats being dumped or needing rehoming atm.
    Very bad form of them to make this your problem.
    Thinking out loud here but wonder if there is anything you can do legally - Gardai / dog warden might make said person cop on a bit?
    6 weeks in a kennels would cost a fair few bob...

• Registered Users Posts: 22 trishchuck

hi zef, thanx for your reply, my son met her outside a supermarket so we have no idea where she lives or how to contact her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

Hi, It's unfortunate you have no way of getting in touch with this irresponsible and devious person.
    I really hope you can find a good home for Sparky. Maybe a facebook page, or ask the no-kill shelters to get back to you if a place comes up, if it's not really suiting you the dog staying this long.
    Perhaps if you posted your County or a pic of Sparky you might even be lucky here, or ask a Mod can the original post be moved to 'once off homing thread'.
    Good luck with it.

thanx again zef, ive reposted it in the thread, ive contacted all rescue centres here and their all full.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭wesf

someone knows where this person lives, don't give the dog back to them as if they could do this the next step could be throwing it over a bridge. find out where this person is and report them to the ispca

• Advertisement

wesf wrote: »
    someone knows where this person lives, don't give the dog back to them as if they could do this the next step could be throwing it over a bridge. find out where this person is and report them to the ispca

thank you, we have tried for past few weeks to find out about her but to no avail

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭wesf

Must have been friends in common on facebook?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭sligoface

only a no-kill shelter will turn away dogs when they are full. bring him to one which is not no-kill, like an SPCA. that's your only option if you can't keep him. perhaps i'm wrong, but when i look for a dog to adopt, I contact my local rescue center, I don't go on boards, so he probably will have a better chance there. don't feel bad just because the shelter is not 'no-kill'. I know they sound better (and a lot of them do great work, to be sure) but they are (as you've recently experienced) a limited resource, and when they turn people away who want to surrender an animal, God knows what happens to that animal after (most get dumped down the road somewhere - not saying you would do that of course!)

have to say though, the story sounds very strange. i know some people do add people on facebook that they don't have a clue who they are but it's very odd (and possibly dangerous) isn't it? but the thing I really don't get is agreeing to take care of a dog you've never met before from a person you don't know?

i mean, if your son has her on facebook, and met her at a local supermarket, she's not too far away either geographically or socially. if that's really what happened, that person is awful. i personally would post pictures on facebook of the poor dog and the person's name and the whole story to shame them. someone knows who they are.

i don't mean to be rude, but my mother would never believe a story like that and it doesn't make sense to me, either. anyway, that doesn't matter, the dog needs a home, get him to some kind of rescue/shelter if you are unable to keep him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 987 ✭✭✭ekevosu

What age is your son?

It sounds very strange that despite being a friend with this obviously local enough person on facebook he knows no details about her and can't contact her or find some details about her? He must know her to some degree if he agreed to mind a dog for her or was it just your son wanting a dog to mind? Maybe if you had a few details the netizens here could help track her down.

Hopefully it works out well for your family and the pup. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 susie loo

we are you based, im involved with rescue work and maybe able to help you get this pup some place to go

• Advertisement

hi susie, im in douglas cork city

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Assassins Creed

Have to say, im finding this story very hard to believe . Befriending someone you dont know on facebook, meeting that person at a supermarket and taking the pup in, getting blocked from contacting this person and to be honest advertising here for someone to rehome the pup :rolleyes:.

Heres the post on the rehoming thread.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=80466777

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

I dont believe a word of this story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

I dont believe a word of this story.

+ 100

im not askn anyone to believe me or not, i put up a post to rehome a dog, not to be interrogated,
    my original post isnt a lie, but if thats what some people want to believe its their own choice.

trishchuck wrote: »
    im not askn anyone to believe me or not, i put up a post to rehome a dog, not to be interrogated,
    my original post isnt a lie, but if thats what some people want to believe its their own choice.

The reason its relevant is because its possible that someone could get a dog, decide they dont want it for a variety of different reasons, including expensive health problems or the dog biting a child or something else undesirable, and decide to post here looking to rehome without disclosing what the real reason for the rehome actually is.

You must admit that the story you have posted is quite fantastical. Your son acquired a dog in a supermarket exchange from a stranger he met on the internet who is now gone and not traceable? There are so many holes in the story that I dont know where to begin! But one thing is for sure, raising that level of suspicion doesnt bode well for a potential rehome because its sounds off, and if the story is off, then the situation is probably off too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 987 ✭✭✭ekevosu

I can't rehome your dog unfortunately so I was just trying to find some other way of helping like tracking down the original owner. They don't seem fit to keep a dog but if you could track them down, at least they could be admonished, shamed or reported (doubtful). While its a credit to you for looking after the dog and trying to ensure its future welfare, the story at the start lacked pertinent details which made people curious and suspicious. I don't think some of the questions were that personal on an anonymous forum so could be fleshed out easily enough and I think you'll find out how great some of the posters on this forum can be. From what I've read as a forum lurker anyway. From the other thread it looks like you've been looking after the dog very well so again just know that were not against you, just nosy / curious due to the short version of the story. Good luck to you.

ya it does sound fetched, but i assure you it isnt. im fostering dogs for past 3 years and would never have told my son we would mind him if i knew it was long term.

ya it does sound fetched, but i assure you it isnt. im fostering dogs for past 3 years and would never have told my son we would mind him if i knew it was long term.

Well it could be true and stranger things have happened but I was just pointing out why it sounded off and why that might make people suspicious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

Maybe your son just wanted a four legged friend. I did the same thing when i was younger. Told my ma i was just minding the dog for a few weeks and then another few weeks untill she just turned around to me and said it's our dog is'nt it i said no and then could'nt control my laughter she said it's grand because i like the dog, so all was well.

• Advertisement

im not the best at writing and theres alot more to this, i have contacted the gardai and the rspca, and yes i am taking well care of sparky , he is loved and happy and very healthy, i just wont be able to keep him long term. im am not going to throw him out in the streets and i will continue to care for sparky until i rehome him. thank you all for your replies, but i think it was a bad idea using this forum site to ask for help,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Assassins Creed

With all due respect, the thread in the rehoming section would have raised no concerns . The suspicion with me and i suspect with other posters arose when you started this thread with the details of how the dog ended up with you and if there is a lot more to this, then maybe it might have helped and made replies different if the other details had been included at some point.

Advertisement