Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Redirecting communication to a server over a tunnel?

Options
  • 27-08-2012 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

At my work all main ports are blocked, both incoming and outgoing.
    I have a fat client windows program that communicates to its server on port 9999, but this port is blocked. I am able to create a secure tunnel over SSH to my home server and for instance redirect my HTTP traffic.

But is there a way I can route the traffic for port 9999 for a specific IP address over the tunnel?

Presumeably the windows application internally will do a DNS lookup to retrieve the current IP address of the server i.e. the ip address of the server is not hard coded.

Will creating a tunnel for port 9999 and adding the DNS name as 127.0.0.1 in the hosts file work? Or should I just redirect all 9999 traffic (not a problem now I come to think about it)

In short: how do I redirect traffic for address [url]www.servername.com:9999[/url] to my SSH tunnel?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭wandererz

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Wcool

I use SSH already for instance to route VNC. But I think I now know what I do wrong. The proxy that I use is Polipo which is a web proxy, not a universal proxy. I need to setup another proxy program on my home server.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭wandererz

aha, i think i see the problem now.

The destination server is not on your home network. Yet you want to tunnel via your home network to the far end server?

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Wcool

Yes that is it. I think it might not work altogether, how do I convince the client to look for data over the tunnel instead of going direct to the internet.

if i change the host entry to 127.0.0.1 for the ip that it is looking for, it won't know the server at the end of the tunnel?

Advertisement