Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Societies

Options
  • 27-08-2012 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭

Right so to my shame I'm going into third year and have never even joined a society in the past two years.This year I'm hoping to change that.Think I'll give the dance soc a try and see what else is out there.

What about the rest of you?Looking foreward to joining or already strong members of one?or are people just like me and somehow managing to miss them all together.:p

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Journeyman_1

socs are awesome imo. you get to meet a bunch of cool people, do stuff that isnt 'work' and just have an overall great time doing something you're interested in, all for the €2 signup :)

i was a pretty committed member of drama when i was in college the 1st time and that was a greta soc. idk the people anymore, but im sure its still alot of fun :)

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭VickBack

I'm taking over Bio Soc this year and plan to make it EPIC!! Don't let the "bio" part scare ya away... It's gonna be very social with a few trips planned for the year and have already managed to get a lovely few deals on the membership cards for next year! I'm also on the camping soc committee who run the DIT Bra Walk... Those 2 socs should defo be on yer list to sign up to!

I'm gonna give circus and juggling a bash this year coz i have yet to sign up for it! :-D

Ya should join what ever ya feel like joining... There are so many events and things to do each week you would never be stuck for something to do if ya were bored ya know!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Don't just consider societies. Feel free to join sports clubs as well even if you have never been involved in that sport before.

Many clubs accept absolute beginners.

I'm a member of DIT Shotokan for the last two years having done Karate before. I love it, fitness, self defence a good social scene and two excellent trips away for competitions during the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭Underground

gonna join the boxing club this year (that is if they take on complete beginners) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

Don't just consider societies. Feel free to join sports clubs as well even if you have never been involved in that sport before.

Many clubs accept absolute beginners.

I'm a member of DIT Shotokan for the last two years having done Karate before. I love it, fitness, self defence a good social scene and two excellent trips away for competitions during the year.

I think me attempting to join any sort of sport would end in disaster!The only sport I ever did outside of school was horse riding and I was still pure crap after 6 years!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭JohnG18

VickBack wrote: »
    I'm taking over Bio Soc this year and plan to make it EPIC!! Don't let the "bio" part scare ya away... It's gonna be very social with a few trips planned for the year and have already managed to get a lovely few deals on the membership cards for next year! I'm also on the camping soc committee who run the DIT Bra Walk... Those 2 socs should defo be on yer list to sign up to!

I'm gonna give circus and juggling a bash this year coz i have yet to sign up for it! :-D

Ya should join what ever ya feel like joining... There are so many events and things to do each week you would never be stuck for something to do if ya were bored ya know!

Try targeting the Science students in Cathal Brugha, in years past we are the forgotten Sci heads!

In my 4 years I spent in DIT I never joined a Soc but of my friends that did they made loads of great friends and tons of events! I was unfortunately too busy...

I'm gonna be in all of the campuses! Never knew they did sciency stuff in the brugha until the end of last year so hoping I will get a good few members! Should be doing some trips to breweries e.g Guinness of course and maybe bushmills in Antrim... And if i can swing it was gonna see if we could sort out a trip to London for the science museum over there!!

Was also thinking of getting speakers in but wouldn't know who... Gonna be looking in to that tomorrow actually!! It's gonna be a good year... If ya know a few people still in DIT tell em to sign up we will be easy enough to find! ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭squishykins

I'm pretty much already a member of the karting club, best craic ever!

Does anyone know when clubs and socs week is?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

I'm pretty much already a member of the karting club, best craic ever!

Does anyone know when clubs and socs week is?
    The week of the 24th of September

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

The week of the 24th of September

Deadly I've missed it the last two years somehow but I'll make it my buisness to get to sign up this time.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

VickBack wrote: »

What exactly does one do in BioSoc? I'll probably join it :p
    Is it done in Cathal Brugha or in a different building?

Well it wasn't that big last year but I wanna change that! Gonna be doing trips to breweries and other places, table quizzes, social nights out, charity events, and hopefully at the end of the year a trip to the science museum in London... If the budget allows it! We will defo be in Cathal Brugha during socs fest so don't hesitate to sign up! Gonna be all over the campuses even though it is sciencey! Don't have to be doing the course to sign up to something you might be interested in ya know!

Advertisement