Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Customs Limits on Entry to Ireland from Portugal

• 27-08-2012 3:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 780 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

ive done a fair bit of googling on this but am still unsure of the answer.

How many cigs are you allowed to bring back into ireland from within the EU, if they are for personal use?? (Which they will be).

Going to portugal soon and wondering how many i can bring back in.

Thanks in Advance!

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,895 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

In theory you can bring as many as you want. However, if you have more than 800, Customs might suspect that you're planning to sell them and are within their rights to confiscate them.

(It's in the forum charter, btw. Please read it.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 780 ✭✭✭jossnjuice

Cheers BN,

Even if they are all the same brand?? I thought it would be more likely they would pull you if you have a few brands with you??

And how would one prove that they are for your own personal use???

BeerNut wrote: »
    (It's in the forum charter, btw. Please read it.)

Apologies, my bad, you can delete this thread if you want!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,895 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

jossnjuice wrote: »
    I thought it would be more likely they would pull you if you have a few brands with you?
    I would say so, yes. But don't you reckon the smugglers have twigged that one too?
    jossnjuice wrote: »
    And how would one prove that they are for your own personal use?
    That's the thing: you can't. It's your word against theirs and they have the final say. That's why there's the 800 cigarette no-hassle guarantee: anything beyond it is a gamble.

Thats what i was thinking!!

thanks for your help!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

BeerNut wrote: »
    That's the thing: you can't. It's your word against theirs and they have the final say. That's why there's the 800 cigarette no-hassle guarantee: anything beyond it is a gamble.

There was a case brought to the European court a few years ago against the UK and the outcome was that the authority's have to prove they are not for personal use not the other way round. No time now I'll google it later.

Advertisement