Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pokemon in the West

Options
  • 27-08-2012 4:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭

Anybody know of any players from Connacht?
    With a player saying he's trying to get a league going in Limerick at the last league session, I feel that a league in every province greatly increases our chance of Play! Pokemon events.
    Plus the more the merrier as far as leagues are concerned, gives people an extra stop to make on their travels across our glorious Emerald Isle!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

Limerick and Cork I can reach easy and some of Clare.
    ..shame there's nothing round here....didn't even know someone was trying organize something round limerick O_O.

Maybe if posters wrote anywhere they could reach easily?..we'd be able to organise some smaller meets? and then leagues after that. Just an idea S:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

I live in Mayo. But moving to galway for school this week. I'd attend a league in Galway city, but wouldn't really be able to run it. I know a few others who would also attend.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭popzmaster

I live in Mayo. But moving to galway for school this week. I'd attend a league in Galway city, but wouldn't really be able to run it. I know a few others who would also attend.

Its not much harder to run than it is to attend, as long as you can make it which week which can be problematic. Maybe if one of the players you know would consider running a league it could be good. The more leagues in Ireland the merrier! Makes us look like more than but a mere blip on the nintendo pokemap

Again double posting bad, and I know I'm terrible for it but I was just wondering if anyone could pose this question to the facebook community, cos I don't have a facebook :p

shameless bump

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

I'll send this thread to some people in the NUIG anime/fan sci game soc thing, there were a few people playing/would be interested in attending, lots of good places in town as well so perhaps a couple of them might be interested.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I'm planning on heading to GMIT this coming year, so I'll be happy to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

I'm living in Galway too, and there are v definitely some good spots round these parts to hold events like this. The likes of 091 Labs our Dungeons And Doughnuts (both in the center of town) would probably be more than happy to house these meets.

Would this just be the card game our the video game? The anime convention a few, months ago in NUIG ran a Pokémon tournament (i think they were using Black/White 2) and there was quite a good turnout for it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

deathrider wrote: »
    I'm living in Galway too, and there are v definitely some good spots round these parts to hold events like this. The likes of 091 Labs our Dungeons And Doughnuts (both in the center of town) would probably be more than happy to house these meets.

Would this just be the card game our the video game? The anime convention a few, months ago in NUIG ran a Pokémon tournament (i think they were using Black/White 2) and there was quite a good turnout for it.
    A bit of both really. The League in Dublin mainly runs TCG, but from when I was there before they also have some playing the video games too.

That's cool. I'd love to get involved where the video games are concerned, because I'm a big fan. However, card games just ain't my thing.

I'd certainly like to see something Pokémon related going ahead round here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

We play equal TCG/VGC, well try to anyway, the card game is really good you know :p

cloud493 wrote: »
    We play equal TCG/VGC, well try to anyway, the card game is really good you know :p

I don't doubt that for a second, but it's just not my cup of tea. I'm a total sucker for tge video games though.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Rendeva

I'm kinda available for this too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Hybrid_Theory

Hi, newcomer to this part of boards! Didn't know it existed tbh! Haha. Anyways please try and get something like this going in Limerick! I've been playing a few years myself and love it :D I have pretty much all the ds and gba games ^_^

They have a once off tournament in UL during the summer but I def would go to meetings if they were on more often.

Unfortunately don't have the funds to travel to Dublin for meetups! :(

Well you don't need to come to Dublin every Tuesday, you can just come for the big ones :)

whens the next big one? :)

well, hybrid, if you can get something in limerick started, I'd be there :P ..
    Maybe we can just meet in a pub with DS's/cards XD ..S:

Not if you wanna be all official and get free stuff :p

I don't think there's enough people in limerick to be official tbh ):

I know :'( So sad.

• Advertisement

I know for a fact that there are enough people in Limerick for an official League. When Mairead started our League, there was nine people on the first day and that was the biggest turnout we ever had.For the rest of the season it never exceeded 5. I already know personally of 5 players in Limerick, and with a little online promotion, I'm sure that a League in Munster could thrive just like a League in Dublin. I know we have a bigger catchment area, but we've had over 50 people through our league in the past year, if you could even get twenty people over the space of a whole year it would be a great acheivement, and with UL there I would actually imagine that you'll get much more. The hard work is already done in Limerick sure, there is a location that has been approved for a Pokémon League, ALL WE NEED IS A LEADER FOR IT! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15 D _what

Hmmm popzmaster, were you at the Dublin league over Easter when us Limerick blowins showed up? If not, well I'd have to agree, there's quite a few of us around Limerick! Certainly Brocon always gets a modest turnout - admittedly not a lot of people brought their DSs and it's limited to the VGs, but there were a lot of people I know who could've gone and didn't, too. As for the TCG, well... I'd know a large majority of the players who currently attend UL, this time last year PokemonTCG was a common sight into the students union. (I'm to blame if it isn't any more. We got a bunch of guys freshly into it and then left them for months to do work.) So anyway their's easily enough people to make a league out of.

The better question is: is it feasible. I'm a proper hardcore fan and I'd try to go, but wouldn't completely commit. And after me everyone's likelihood of attending would decrease. Most of my best friends have become increasingly into it in the last year, but I don't know if they could keep up to the kind of stuff that would go on in a league. Most of them are limited to 3rd gen if that and you can forget about X and Y.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 D _what

Quick double post: H_T and l_a, you both seem interested in getting a league going. If you can get whatever friends you have similarly involved then you're over halfway there. (If this were a bit over a year later you'd be closer still since before then myself and my friends will be on coop, ironically enough in Dublin.) After that you need somebody to run it... You're on your own; I have an ID but I couldn't run a league 0_0 but look into it!

So is it looking more towards the Limerick neck of the wood than Galway then?

Limerick seems like it'd suit more of a Munster league than a Connacht one.

Theres no reason not to have both :D

popzmaster wrote: »
    Theres no reason not to have both :D

Popzmaster speaks the truth!

I'm meeting a guy for a few drinks (and maybe a street fight) tomorrow night. He's a regular in Galway's Dungeons and Doughnuts, so I'll drop the idea of a Pokémon league into the conversation and see what his take is on it.

So any joy?

• Advertisement

Sorry for the late reply. Things have been pretty hectic lately. I didn't get as much time to chat with this guy about Pokémon as I would have liked to. The general gist he gave me about it though was to simply show up, order a coffee or whatever and let other pokéheads know that I was there. Perhaps just announce on their fb page that your heading down and packing Whit/Black if anyone's interested in a game. If I get the chance, I'll drop in and have a chat with one of the other guys, and see what the craic is.

Advertisement